PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

Nancy-S
02-18-2012, 09:14 AM
I feel like a wimp...my symptoms are so mild compared to most.

I feel rotten! Chills, night sweats, low grade fever, ear/throat pain, muscle aches, joint pain. That's all though. No coughs or runny nose.

Its the third "flu" since January. Last labs in November. Friday afternoon all docs are full. Urgent care is a joke. What could the ER do? My dumb luck for this to manifest before a three day weekend!

delorisdoe
02-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Not sure what you call mild but I can tell you the muscle and joint pain are as bad as the lung symptoms I get and are the symptom that alarms the doctors the least and the symptom I hate the most. New labs are in order but they dont promise anything. I would monitor and only go to the dreaded er if they get worse. I probably should not answer this though as I a most excellent procrastinator. It is what I do best.

pberggren1
02-18-2012, 09:53 AM
How long has this been going on Nancy? I don't call those symptoms mild at all.

Nancy-S
02-18-2012, 10:29 AM
I agree with you, Leigh. I've become so anxious the last year. I used to be mighty and brave.

Phil, its day 2 and getting worse. Just finished the labs.

pberggren1
02-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Hopefully you will have the lab results soon and can discuss this all with your doc.

drz
02-18-2012, 12:35 PM
I agree with you, Leigh. I've become so anxious the last year. I used to be mighty and brave.

Phil, its day 2 and getting worse. Just finished the labs.

Did you get copy of results? Is there a doctor on call to review them and make any orders if needed. I just finished a customer satisfaction survey from one of my clinic and this was big item on the survey. Satisfaction with calls for help after hours. Glad to hear some quality places know that is important.

If it is the regular flu that is going around here, there is not much help for that. But if it is the darn Weg dog growling maybe a little med adjustment might help. Best wishes for some relief for you.

Al
02-19-2012, 06:38 PM
I also do not consider these symptoms "minor", Nancy, particularly since they are not a rare occurrence. What you are getting, at the least, is fr too many "flu" infections. But, really, it sounds worse than this. If the labs do not show something, so much the worse for the labs--they are surely the wrong tests.

Al

Nancy-S
02-20-2012, 03:26 AM
Drz, they won't get results til Tuesday due to the holiday weekend. :(

Thanks Al, my husband mentioned the 'virus' theory again. Its just nice to hear someone else agree that the 3rd episode since January is far too many flu bugs. It doesn't add up. For that, I thank you.

My labs (the only order I had laying around) was very basic. Blood counts, electrolites but not sed or creantine. UA looking for blood/protein. I'm sure it'll be useful.

The shooting nerve pain is awful, ear aches are annoying. More distressing is my emotional state. I want to fight back, but all I can do is let this damn thing have its way with me. I'm too much of a fighter for that, or a control freak. For now ill treat it as a life lesson to accept I can't be in control all of the time. That's just no fun at all.

Sangye
02-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Nancy, it sounds awful. And it also sounds exactly like Wegs. :sad:

I agree with Leigh that the joint pain has been my worst symptom and also the one that the docs seem to care the least about. I think they just don't get how bad it really is.

I wish there was something I could suggest for you to get some relief. Hang in there!

drz
02-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Drz, they won't get results til Tuesday due to the holiday weekend. :(

I'm too much of a fighter for that, or a control freak. For now ill treat it as a life lesson to accept I can't be in control all of the time. That's just no fun at all.

My last flare scare was also on a Friday at 2:30 PM. I had to wait three hours in ER room for them to get results of all the lab work but they gave them to me before I left. It didn't explain my symptoms (they and I didn't know I had missed last three dosages of my blood pressure meds) but the lab results reassured me some what i had no signs yet of a serious flare even though I felt messed up. I can't imagine having to wait all weekend for the results.

I think you are pretty easy going or you wouldn't have left without the lab results. Hope you get some help soon.

Sangye
02-20-2012, 03:45 PM
For several years almost all of my complications hit on Friday afternoons. It was so bizarre!

Al
02-20-2012, 03:53 PM
For several years almost all of my complications hit on Friday afternoons. It was so bizarre!

I think this is a rule of the workings of the universe. The car always dies at 4:45 on Friday; the not that you are overdrawn at the bank arrives so late Friday afternoon that you can't do anything about it; you pass out in the shower Friday afternoon (I actually did this); etc.

There is surely a cosmic chronometer that is a practical joker, and knows when something is the least convenient for you and conspires with karma to fulfill that destiny....

Al

Nancy-S
02-20-2012, 04:44 PM
My last flare scare was also on a Friday at 2:30 PM. I had to wait three hours in ER room for them to get results of all the lab work but they gave them to me before I left. It didn't explain my symptoms (they and I didn't know I had missed last three dosages of my blood pressure meds) but the lab results reassured me some what i had no signs yet of a serious flare even though I felt messed up. I can't imagine having to wait all weekend for the results.

I think you are pretty easy going or you wouldn't have left without the lab results. Hope you get some help soon.

...and I thought it was just *my* luck. I'm sad to hear it happens so often.

I didn't go to the ER, just the neighborhood lab where I bring in my docs orders. Can they give me the results right away? I thought it had to be sent somewhere. I would love not having to wait.

Al
02-20-2012, 05:05 PM
...and I thought it was just *my* luck. I'm sad to hear it happens so often.

I didn't go to the ER, just the neighborhood lab where I bring in my docs orders. Can they give me the results right away? I thought it had to be sent somewhere. I would love not having to wait.

Generally, Nancy, the local lab will do the common tests; CBC, renal, lipid, or liver panel, magnesium, ded rate, etc. The less common ones (or those that require interpretation by a top-grade pathologist), like ANCA, are usually sent out. The automated tests can be done in an hour or so, though your doctor might have to request rapid turnaround. Otherwise, they usually say "check back in 24 hours". For me, I have never had a standard blood test that took more than an hour. Urine analysis usually takes a couple of hours, as that takes an actual human to check it out. I think the best thing to do is to go first thing when they open in the morning (but before breakfast, as the tests mean more after fasting for 8 hours), that have breakfast before you see the doc later that morning or in the afternoon.

Al

pberggren1
02-20-2012, 05:52 PM
ded rate? What's that all about Al? To see if you are dead or not?.......lol.

Al
02-20-2012, 06:22 PM
ded rate? What's that all about Al? To see if you are dead or not?.......lol.
Hmmm....rhymes with "pred"....You hear about the psychiatrist who bought a sailboat--called it his Freudian Sloop...?

Al

sue7211
02-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Our neighborhood lab won't give me the lab results but I do frequently either ask them to call customer care and have them refaxed to the doctor or call customer care and ask them myself. I find this does speed up when our doctors get them. Also, there must be a doctor on call who could look at the results for you over the weekend.

delorisdoe
02-22-2012, 06:25 AM

This makes me laugh.

After my bout with diverticulitis last year there has been several times that I thought it was hapening again. I would reason with myself as I always do. "well, its thursday and the symptoms just came on sooooooo it cant be a diverticultis attack because last time I felt wrong on monday, pain tues-thursday, and I was full on really bad off friday and saturday I was close to death :). My conclusion was that seeing as the first signs are just starting and it is thursday I am clearly NOT sick as that illness starts on a monday. This is seriously how my mind works.

pberggren1
02-22-2012, 06:38 AM
I think that is how most of our minds work Leigh. Seems more of like how I think too when I'm flaring. One word: DENIAL.

Nancy-S
02-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Yesterday I began feeling pain in the chest area. Mostly sternum/ribs. It increased all day and is holding steady. Lol...I think I'll let it ride out til Friday. After all the UA came back "normal".

drz
02-22-2012, 02:14 PM
I think that is how most of our minds work Leigh. Seems more of like how I think too when I'm flaring. One word: DENIAL.
Balancing hyper vigilance with excessive worry against denial of real problems that require attention, is a tough balancing act that I struggle with several times a week. Is it a real pain that will last, is it temporary glitch in my system that will disappear on its own (most are it seems), or is it just part of regular cycles of ups and downs as part of the roller coaster ride with GPA as the symptoms wax and wane.

chrisTIn@
02-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Balancing hyper vigilance with excessive worry against denial of real problems that require attention, is a tough balancing act...

Well said. drz!
I guess we 'Weggies' all have to cope with that!
(Still don't like the word 'GPA-ies'... :wink1:)

ArlaMo
02-23-2012, 03:14 AM
How are you today, Nancy? My connection with this site is completely random - 70% of the time, I get an error message, so I didn't see this til today. Hope you are feeling better. Chest pain doesn't sound good, though.

Nancy-S
02-23-2012, 07:20 AM
I'm good, thanks for asking. My husband thinks it may be an inflamed sternum. It's odd. But not much surprises me these days.

I got my bill from Utah, my consultation was $151. That was to have an exam and evaluation by the Dr.(s). No tests as they had all of it in front of them. I was thinking you could do the same. Just bring in your last 6 months worth of stuff. The only requirement they need to set up an appointment is ANY doctor write a note and refer you. I had my primary care chicken scratch a "please see nancy for ..." on a 4x4 note pad. He faxed that with the notes from my last visit. The scheduling department called me within a few days. I think you know a doctor pretty well, who can chicken scratch a note, yes? Just to check it out, have a consult, and see what you think of him.