PDA

View Full Version : Study--Can Vitamin D Ward off Colds and Flu?

Sangye
02-17-2012, 03:18 AM
This (http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/alerts/lung_disorders/vitamin-D-respiratory-infections_6111-1.html?ET=johnshopkins:e77514:1128208a:&st=email&s=ELH_120216_001) came in an email newsletter from JHU today. I've copied the text below:

Influenza, or the flu, is an acute infection usually involving the upper respiratory tract. Outbreaks of influenza occur each winter and last for two to three months, leading to infection in 10 to 20 percent of the population. Influenza can worsen the symptoms experienced by people who have COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) or asthma. It can also make a person more prone to a bacterial infection that causes pneumonia, or the flu virus itself can cause pneumonia.

There is some evidence that vitamin D is associated with a reduction in the likelihood of developing a respiratory infection -- or at least making one less severe.

A recent study led by researchers at Yale University followed 198 healthy adults over the course of a fall and winter and tested their blood every month to measure their levels of vitamin D. Among individuals with vitamin D levels lower than 38 ng/mL, about 45 percent came down with a viral infection. However, in the group with vitamin D levels of 38 ng/mL or higher, only 16 percent became ill.

The findings raise the question of whether taking vitamin D supplements to achieve a blood level of 38 ng/mL or higher could boost the immune system and ward off flu. They may also explain why flu outbreaks don't occur in the summer, when people are more likely to be exposed to sunlight, a natural source of vitamin D. The findings were published in the journal PLoS ONE.

What to do. Although these findings don't definitively prove that vitamin D can ward off colds, adequate vitamin D is important, nonetheless, because it helps maintain strong bones. Your doctor can perform a simple blood test to determine if you're vitamin D deficient.

pberggren1
02-17-2012, 08:31 AM
I was talking about vitamin D last night with one of my pool buddies. He said he started taking 2,000 IU a day just before bedtime about 6 years ago and has not had a cold or any sickness since and gets way better sleep and feels better during the day.

Sangye
02-17-2012, 03:25 PM
You should take vitamin D with your largest meal for best absorption.

pberggren1
02-17-2012, 06:40 PM
I take it with breakfast and supper.

Sangye
02-20-2012, 10:50 AM
That's good. It absorbs best if you take it with a meal containing fat.

Al
02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
As I have noted in other threads, Vitamin D is an important hormone and must be a part of the autoimmune puzzle. But bad kidneys can be a catch-22 bottleneck. The serum level measured is of the 0,25 kind of vitamin D. Ordinarily, this is a good stand-in for the more important 1,25 vitamin D that the body actually uses. But in cases of impaired kidneys, 0.25 never gets converted into 1,25--at least not in adequate amounts. So the serum level doesn't always tell you what you want to know. (1,25 tests do exist, but it is hard to get reliable reporting of them.)

Al