PDA

View Full Version : metal plate used for saddle nose surgery

mama2005
02-15-2012, 07:02 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has had to have a metal plate put in to anchor the rib bone onto? The doctor said its a very small plate but it will stay forever. He normally places screws in and removes them a few months later but because so much of my boney structure has been damaged he has nothing to build the rib bone to. I know its a extra cut but he says that he will make the scar on my forehead unoticeable. If anyone has anymore info on this let me know thanks.

JanW
02-15-2012, 07:54 AM
How did your presurgical appointment go? Is there someone else that your doc can put you in touch with in his practice? I've not heard of this before, but presumably he's done this before so that might be the way to go.

Where do you mean that he puts the screws into? I only have a bunch of stitches, most of which will dissolve in six weeks. I had some outside, that were pulled out last Thursday.

For what it's worth, mine was a moderate saddle, but with only exterior damage. I had no interior damage to the nose.

mama2005
02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
I seen two diffrent doctors and really like the doctor doing the surgery. Preopp visit went well other than him telling me had to change the technique because the damage on the inside was more than he thought so this is why he cant use the screw (which would be placed inbetween my eyebrows to hold the bone in place. which the screw he would have taken out in a few months) my bridge of my nose is completly gone and the tip of my nose is turned up making my resemble a pig.

I will have stiches in between my eyebrows which is where the plate is going and also under my nose because it is going to be a open rhinoplasty with rib bone and cartlidge grafts. he did say that my bruising and swelling may be a little more then most because of the extensive work.

JanW
02-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Good luck! How long has you been in remission? Did you have to go off all meds pre op?

mama2005
02-15-2012, 03:43 PM
yes off all meds and been in remission for about four or five months

Sangye
02-16-2012, 03:41 AM
I hope it works great for you, mama.

Dianne
02-16-2012, 08:37 AM
I hope everything goes great for you, also!

Psyborg
02-17-2012, 03:54 AM
I hope things go well for you mama. :)

freakyschizogirl
02-17-2012, 06:51 AM
Good luck Mama - please let us know how it goes.

mama2005
02-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys I will keep everyone updated surgery is still a week and a half away.

jola57
02-20-2012, 04:38 PM
good luck mama2005