PDA

View Full Version : Rheumatologist in Gainesville

maria garcia
02-14-2012, 06:10 AM
Anyone here seeing a Rheumatologist in Gainesville? My daughter got accepted to the University of Florida and Im looking for a Rheumatologist there.

Dirty Don
02-14-2012, 07:35 AM
University of Florida Department of Medicine (http://www.medicine.ufl.edu/rheuma/staud.asp) Found this AT the U of Florida...may be just the thing! Good luck & congrats to your daughter!

Al
02-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Anyone here seeing a Rheumatologist in Gainesville? My daughter got accepted to the University of Florida and Im looking for a Rheumatologist there.

My congratulations, also, to Christina!

Al

maria garcia
02-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Thank you AL. We are still trying to decide if we should allow her to go. Im very nervous about having her away from me with this disease now i check on her as a hawk. I don't know how to deal with this.

Al
02-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Thank you AL. We are still trying to decide if we should allow her to go. Im very nervous about having her away from me with this disease now i check on her as a hawk. I don't know how to deal with this.
Let her know hat you love her, Maria, and that you will always be there for her...and then let her go. Disease or no disease, she has a life to live. You will be proud of he--I guarantee that--for living life to the fullers, regardless of what happens.

Al

mishb
02-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Let her know hat you love her, Maria, and that you will always be there for her...and then let her go. Disease or no disease, she has a life to live. You will be proud of he--I guarantee that--for living life to the fullers, regardless of what happens.

Al

This is exactly what I said Ines.
I felt so sad when you said you didn't want to let her go.............you can't let this stupid disease win :thumbdn:

We all know how you feel, and maybe if put in your situation we also might think like this, but please don't hold her back from this wonderful opportunity.
She will most certainly contact you when things go wrong and she needs her mum (they all do), that's what we mums are there for ......... to just to be there for them :hug3:

maria garcia
02-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Anyone has heard of Dr. Sobel in Gainsville?

Dirty Don
02-15-2012, 04:44 PM
They're all too far away from me, but, Dr. Edwards at the clinic appears to have more credentials towards WG than Dr. Sobel...but, if they are all in the same dept. and are all doing research together, then you will have the benefits of all or at least most of the staff expertise.

Sangye
02-16-2012, 04:01 AM
Maria, I agree that it's best for Christina to go to school. Wegs will always be there and you can't put her life on hold. I'm sure she knows the warning signs at this point, right?

Dirty Don
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Sangye is spot on...life is what is given us to make the most of whether or not we have a forsaken disease or millions of dollars...let your daughter be who she can be...she will love you forever for that...

Lightwarrior
02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Maria, I agree that it's best for Christina to go to school. Wegs will always be there and you can't put her life on hold. I'm sure she knows the warning signs at this point, right?

Life is a precious gift Maria, let your daughter use her gift. Let her go to school, otherwise she may always resent you. I don't remember the name of the song but one of the verses says that if you ever have the choice to sit it out or dance, then you should dance. Let your daughter dance Maria.

maria garcia
02-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Wao, Im tearing I love my daughter too much to hurt her like that. I have not stopped her bcse of the disease. I haven't brought it up. I don't want her to go but I know its selfish of me. So I searched for the doctor and they actually said there are two in the practice which only handle auto immune disorders and have Weg patients and he is in the Campus so I feel better now and the school has a good insurance they offer so her medical care should not be a problem. Gainesville is only 5 hours away if an emergency would occur. What is holding her back now is the money so we will see.

Al
02-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Wao, Im tearing I love my daughter too much to hurt her like that. I have not stopped her bcse of the disease. I haven't brought it up. I don't want her to go but I know its selfish of me. So I searched for the doctor and they actually said there are two in the practice which only handle auto immune disorders and have Weg patients and he is in the Campus so I feel better now and the school has a good insurance they offer so her medical care should not be a problem. Gainesville is only 5 hours away if an emergency would occur. What is holding her back now is the money so we will see. Excellent! I realize that money can be an issue, but (trust me) investing in your child's education, and therefore her future, is something you will never regret. Who knows? Maybe she will become a vasculitis expert herself! Besides, she won't be that far from her Mama's Cuban soup....By the way, I looked up the U of F Rheumatology department. Dr. Sobel seems competent, and Dr. Staud has excellent credentials, with several published papers on WG. If I were Christina, I would present myself to one or both the first week of school....

Al

KathyB
02-18-2012, 05:04 AM
"I Hope You Dance" is the song Leann Womack (country singer) made famous in early 2000. Incredible words as you help your children soar from the nest! It has a lot of personal meaning for me. It's not easy, Maria, but together you will make the right decision about college. It's great to hear UF medical community is excellent and won't negatively impact your decision making! Good luck!!

KB