PDA

View Full Version : Getting A Cold And Using Vit C

TOBEY32
02-12-2012, 01:48 PM
We're not to take Vit C because it's immune-enhancing, but I'm curious if anyone "cheats" and takes C in order to keep it symptoms down? I take Bactrim daily. Maybe it works on colds? Not sick now, but probably wouldn't be up to asking then.
David

pberggren1
02-13-2012, 08:53 AM
I think anything over 2,000mg would be a bit risky. But if you feel a cold coming on I would take about 1,000mg.

Dryhill
02-13-2012, 12:20 PM
I drink a smallish glass of orange juice because I like the flavor and it also helps me wake up in the morning (then I can sort out how to make the coffee to truly wake up). It is interesting that when in hospital a glass of orange juice was automatically included with breakfast, and they knew waht I should or shoud'nt have.

Jim

Al
02-13-2012, 06:10 PM
We're not to take Vit C because it's immune-enhancing, but I'm curious if anyone "cheats" and takes C in order to keep it symptoms down? I take Bactrim daily. Maybe it works on colds? Not sick now, but probably wouldn't be up to asking then.
David

David, there is something of a misconception about autoimmune diseases. The common assumption seems to be that the sufferer's immune system is too strong, so it is best to not make it any stronger. But the assumption is not quite right. The immune system in question is not "too strong", any more than a choir might be too loud just because a couple of tenors bellow. Indeed, the rest of the choir might be too shy. The point is that the immune system is, for unknown reasons, sometimes acting inappropriately. The trick with supplemental vitamins and such is not that they beef up the immune system, but that they may cause an inappropriate immune reaction. This is probably not the case with most common vitamins (Vitamins A and K could be exceptions, in som AI diseases). I doubt you could do any harm with a reasonable intake of vitamin C, unless you kidneys are really messed up, like mine. Then you would want to be careful.

Rose
02-14-2012, 12:05 AM
I doubt you could do any harm with a reasonable intake of vitamin C, unless you kidneys are really messed up, like mine. Then you would want to be careful.[/QUOTE]

Al. How messed up should the kidneys be before avoiding Vit C supplements. I have been reading conflicting views on Vit C supplements in those with kidney impairment. It seems it is a definite no no in those with end stage kidney disease but no-one seems to get too specific as to what stage they should be avoided. I have been using Vit C(1g daily) on and off as it does seem to help keep my UTI's under control along with cranberry but I am concerned. My GFR has been ranging from 43 to 62 averaging around 50.

Al
02-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Rose--your kidney numbers aren't that bad; I wouldn't worry about vitamin C in the 1g range.

Al

Sangye
02-16-2012, 03:59 AM
I have never seen convincing research that vitamin C harms the kidneys.

I hesitate to say what nutrient doses I take because everyone is very individual. One person might need more or less, and even the same person's needs will vary tremendously. Given that, I generally take 1,000 mg vitamin C daily. I take a second dose a few hours later if I feel a bug coming on. That's usually enough to stop it in its tracks. You cannot starve the body of nutrients, even if you have Wegs. Vitamin C is needed to maintain connective tissue for one thing. Also, it's water-soluble so you don't need to worry about it building up in your body.

I always recommend taking good quality supplements. Health food stores and "discount" online stores sell poor quality brands for most nutrients, even if you buy the pricey ones.

Nancy-S
02-16-2012, 04:34 AM
What's a good quality brand?

Al
02-16-2012, 09:16 AM
I have never seen convincing research that vitamin C harms the kidneys....

I haven't either. But many credible people keep claiming this, so I assume a wary posture and don't go overboard. In any case, it is a correct thing to say that we need some vitamin C in our diets. And, for me, a cold could set off a nasty flare. On the other hand, there is enough research now that does indicate the massive doses suggested by Linus Pauling are not a good idea. Even the Linus Pauling Institute now agrees.

Sangye
02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Question those "credible" people, Al. I bet they can't produce a single study or at least not one that is quality research. It's a myth that persists.

(Using ascorbic acid to bowel tolerance is actually a great way to treat infection, just not for Weggies. Many years ago I had pneumonia that wouldn't respond to antibiotics. I did an ascorbic acid flush. The first day it took a whopping 20,000 mg to reach bowel tolerance. The next day was about half, and it decreased dramatically from there. I stopped coughing within 24 hours and was fine within 4 days.)

Sangye
02-16-2012, 02:58 PM
I would question those "credible" people, Al. I bet they can't produce a single study (or at least not one of any value) to substantiate their argument. It's a myth that persists.

(An ascorbic acid flush is actually a great way to treat some infections, just not for Weggies. Many years ago (pre-Wegs) I got pneumonia. It wasn't responding to antibiotics at all. I finally did an ascorbic acid flush-- 1st day it took 20,000 mg to reach bowel tolerance, 2nd day took about 10,000 and went down from there. I stopped coughing within 24 hrs and was fine within 4 days.)

Al
02-16-2012, 03:07 PM
I would question those "credible" people, Al. I bet they can't produce a single study (or at least not one of any value) to substantiate their argument. It's a myth that persists.

(An ascorbic acid flush is actually a great way to treat some infections, just not for Weggies. Many years ago (pre-Wegs) I got pneumonia. It wasn't responding to antibiotics at all. I finally did an ascorbic acid flush-- 1st day it took 20,000 mg to reach bowel tolerance, 2nd day took about 10,000 and went down from there. I stopped coughing within 24 hrs and was fine within 4 days.)

"Credible" people cans, and should be questioned regularly and vigorously, Sangye. Credibility must, in my view, be re-established with great regularity. As for me, I do not eschew ascorbic acid, nor do I, for now, go in for mega-doses. I am not convinced the controversy has been settled one way or the other. As I say, a cold could be bad for me. But I have managed to avoid viral infections (so far as I can tell) since my last flare. (Not sure, but I like to credit my delicious garlic soup, at least in part.) So I am loathe to change too much.

Al

annekat
02-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Well, I do pay attention to what is said on this forum, and had stopped taking Vit. C as a daily supplement, beyond what is in my multivitamin. Now I am going back to taking 1000mg. a day.

Sangye, I'll repeat Nancy's question: Is there a particular brand or source of supplements that you recommend as "good quality"? I'm at a loss for that and usually just buy store brands, things on sale, etc.

Anne

Kami
02-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Vitamin C scares me, I need to do more research before I ever take it again. We took so many as kids, it worries me. I appreciate all the knowledge that this forum brings, thanks for sharing!

pberggren1
02-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Vitamin C scares me, I need to do more research before I ever take it again. We took so many as kids, it worries me. I appreciate all the knowledge that this forum brings, thanks for sharing!

Why does it scare you?

Sangye
02-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Vitamin C (or any vitamin) shouldn't scare you. Drugs should scare you. Yes, we need drugs to treat Wegs but it doesn't mean they aren't causing all sorts of problems.

I use professional brands of vitamins, sold by health care professionals. My favorite is Standard Process. They've been around almost 100 years and are really the only ones who use 100% whole nutrients. However, I'm not able to use many of their products anymore for one reason or another. I use Biotics brand for most of my supplements. Thorne also has great quality products. There are a few others.

annekat
02-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Vitamin C (or any vitamin) shouldn't scare you. Drugs should scare you. Yes, we need drugs to treat Wegs but it doesn't mean they aren't causing all sorts of problems.

I use professional brands of vitamins, sold by health care professionals. My favorite is Standard Process. They've been around almost 100 years and are really the only ones who use 100% whole nutrients. However, I'm not able to use many of their products anymore for one reason or another. I use Biotics brand for most of my supplements. Thorne also has great quality products. There are a few others. Thanks, Sangye. I'll try looking those up.

Anne