PDA

View Full Version : Experience after anesthesia

JanW
02-09-2012, 07:59 AM
As many of you know, I had reconstructive surgery on my nose last Wednesday. I was under for 5 hours. Since then I have noticed a lack of concentration and I feel much more relaxed (a really pretty pleasant experience actually). Physically I'm healing well (on pred, antibiotics), but I dont have my mental energy back. Is this pretty typical? Someone told me it was one day of mental recovery for evey hour of anesthesia.

I can do things that require lower attention or are fairly mindless/ pleasurable (I've been cooking a lot) but I'm not so up for reading or engaging in long conversations. Havent been doing ny work (I'm a writer) although I could. Basically I have no motivation. Maybe this is my mind's way of making sure my body rests.

Nancy-S
02-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Jan, prior to getting sick, I had reconstructive surgery on my nose. It was a septaplasty/rhinoplasty (elective) surgery. I was shocked at the length of time that it took me to feel "normal". My children visited their grandma for three weeks because I was unable to fully care for them. I spent most of that time recovering. I was mentally slow and physically tired the entire time.

Glad the surgery went well. Have u seen it yet? I'm so excited for you!

JanW
02-09-2012, 09:05 AM
I go in tomorrow afternoon for the big reveal!

Nancy-S
02-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Remember that it will be swollen for a long time. It takes months to settle into place. I couldn't breathe thru my nose for a very long time but it was worth it. Let us know how you like it.

mama2005
02-09-2012, 02:11 PM
I hope you like the new nose.

Sangye
02-09-2012, 03:33 PM
I think you should definitely mention it to your doctor, Jan. Anaesthesia affects people differently. I also suggest asking if anything unusual happened during the surgery.

KathyB
02-10-2012, 12:54 AM
I don't have any anesthesia experiences like you, but want to wish you a speedy recovery and fabulous reveal!

KB

JanW
02-10-2012, 01:55 AM
I will mention it to the doctor. I know that nothing unusual happened; it was a completely standard procedure slightly shorter than average...that was the first thing they told me.

marta
02-10-2012, 06:15 AM
I just want to say congrats Jan. I am so happy that you're getting to do this. It must be such an amazing feeling to get so much closer to old normal in such a short time (I mean from beginning of surgery to end of surgery - not from beginning of WG, that's a crazy long time).

I had rhinoplasty when I was 17 to fix up a mess from a head on collision I had with a drunk driver, but I don't remember anything significant, but at that age I wasn't as self aware as I am now - probably writing any side effects off as 'an off day'.

Best of luck with recovery.

Marta

chrisTIn@
02-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I just want to say congrats Jan.
Marta

Me too!
Hope you 'll soon feel well again...

jola57
02-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Here's to a happy unwrapping :thumbsup:

elephant
02-13-2012, 02:01 PM
That is exciting about your nose JanW. Hope your feeling more awake.