PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Kidney involvement

maria garcia
01-27-2012, 05:35 AM
What exactly to look for in blood work and urine analysis to suggest kidney involvement?
My daughter has had a little high her fine Bun/ Creatinine Ratio and Protein total urine. On all the other test of protein, creatine serum and bun its been fine egfr fine, on metabolic panel. its the ratio of bun/creatine that was 25 normal is 20.

urinalysis was all perfect including protein but then under (prot+creatu random) protein total urine was 18 normal is 15. the creat/prot ratio was fine.This has been going on since the beginning but the rheumy says kidney fine and blood work fine. I finally asked why these were high and he said to look at the other blood test and everything was fine not to worry about those. That was all he said no explanation. At first i listened but after all these months not changing now im worrying. Please help me understand these labs. I am making a nephrologist appointment on my own.

Al
01-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Maria, if Christina has any kidney involvement, this is not clear from the present tests--they look pretty normal. BUN will be slightly high just because of the predsisone. I wouldn't worry about any of it. If you want to see a nephrologist, that could be useful in this sense: Anyone with any kind of vasculitis is a potential customer for a kidney doctor. While there appears to be no present need for that doc's services, it is not a bad idea that you know that you can call on one if the need arises. (I am assuming, of course, that the nephro Christina sees is a competent one, who knows all about WG!) Past that, please don't expect anything dramatic.

Al

maria garcia
01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
What about in Protein total urine? Oh Al I just have to have my boxing gloves on. If you have a fax I can fax it to you. My rheumy was wrong about the episcleritis so its hard to trust him, especially when he doesn't explain his answers when I ask a question.

Al
01-27-2012, 06:15 PM
What about in Protein total urine? Oh Al I just have to have my boxing gloves on. If you have a fax I can fax it to you. My rheumy was wrong about the episcleritis so its hard to trust him, especially when he doesn't explain his answers when I ask a question. I can believe the boxing gloves, Maria, for sure! Verdaderamente, una (Madre) Osa--¿Sí? A protein/creatinine ratio of 1.8 is just barely high, Maria, and can perhaps be accounted for from the prednisone. What are the absolute values? (I don't have a separate line for incoming faxes.) Here is what you say to the rheumy: "Go ahead and give me the technical details, please. Of course, I may not understand everything you say. But is you do not try me, I for sure will not trust you." That should do it!

Al