PDA

View Full Version : Tear Duct Surgery

pberggren1
04-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I will be having my left tear duct cleared out so it can drain properly again on May 5. The Opthamologist said that the stitches would be in 7 to 10 days and that I wouldn't be able to blow my nose during that time. That could pose a difficulty. Hopefully everything goes good that day.

jola57
04-22-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm sorry you have to go thru a surgery. Will you be able to work during that time or is it strictly time off. Not blowing would be hard for me too. Good luck

pberggren1
04-22-2009, 10:48 PM
My boss has given me the weekend off after the surgery just to play it safe. Hopefully I will be able to cope OK without blowing my nose. I thank God that I have my waterpik to use. Thanks Jolanta for your concern.

Over and Out,
Phil of the north

Sangye
04-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Geez Phil, what a way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! I hope it goes well--keep us posted. May your nose be dry for those 7-10 days. :)

pberggren1
04-23-2009, 12:35 AM
My nose is very dry at the best of times, even though I have quite a bit of mucus production. Thanks Sangye for your concern. Happy Earth Day.

Natalie Makeef
05-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey there I may have to have surgery on my left eye tear duct. Do you have the same problem with your eye weeping?

pberggren1
05-08-2009, 01:53 AM
I just got back from Regina from having my tear duct surgery. The corner of my eye feels odd and uncomfortable. The doctor said I have to take it very easy for the next few days and not sneeze, blow my nose, lift anything heavy, and try not to bend over too much, etc. I have to put an antibiotic ointment over the incision line every night before bed. I go back to Regina on Monday to have a follow up and have the stitches taken out.

Yes Natalie, my eye wept and pussed up before this surgery. The corner of the eye seems to be closed up by a stitch connecting the upper and lower ducts. The doctor said the tube would probably be in place for a few months.

coffeelover
05-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Phil,

I hope you have complete success with your eye surgery. I have a friend who had this same surgery twice and with no or limited success.
I hate to be a nay sayer, but wanted to let you know.
LIsa

jola57
05-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Phil, I hope you get better now.

Jack
05-09-2009, 05:43 PM
I too had tears running down my face for several years, but decided against surgery. As with many things Wegener's related, it has now gone away to make room for other problems.

pberggren1
05-10-2009, 08:13 AM
May I ask what other problems, Jack?

Lisa, my doctor even told me it may take a few surgeries and still not be successful. So far it seems to be working. I get the stitches out on Monday. Thanks guys for your support.

Jack
05-10-2009, 05:18 PM
To be honest, I've had so many things affect me since having Wegener's that I can no longer remember them all. Most come and go as the months or even years pass, but each one tends to leave a little legacy. I don't think I have a single function left now that I can say works 100% and it has been this accumulation that has eventually led to my retirement from work. As part of this process, I had to sit down and summarise my medical problems and I filled an entire A4 sheet!

Please don't try to use my experience to predict what may be in store for anyone else. As you know, this disease affects us all differently.

pberggren1
05-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I got the stitches out today. The doc says it looks good so far and that he will probably leave the tube in place for six months being that I have WG. I go back to see him on June 25 so he can check on the tube again.

jola57
05-13-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm so glad that it worked, here's hoping it will work always:D

pberggren1
05-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I went back to see him on Tuesday because the incision opened up. By the time I got to see him though there was not much he could do because the incision had congealed up quite a bit.

pberggren1
09-16-2009, 07:22 AM
I get the tube taken out on October 20. Yee ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug
09-17-2009, 09:27 AM
("Yee ha"- dang, Phil, if Prairie Provincials aren't like Great Plains Americans, that response to good news makes it hard to deny!) (Oh, yes, Calagry Stampede, etc.) (And, "It takes one to know one!"- Yee ha!! Again I am happy for you!) :)

jola57
09-18-2009, 02:17 PM
How wonderful Phill, happy to hear from you again, we do miss you.

pberggren1
09-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys

I can hardly wait to have it out because it is irritating the eye and making it red and the eye is pussing up again.

Phil