PDA

View Full Version : how to calm my nerves

mama2005
01-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I am not normally nervous about surgery but my nasal reconstruction surgery has me worked up. I have had crazy dreams. I know that I trust my doctors fully but I am so nervous. Any suggestions to help calm me I have a month before the surgery.

pberggren1
01-06-2012, 04:21 PM
I will pray for you. Prayer works.

vdub
01-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I have had 3 nose surgeries in the last 2 years. I'll tell you straight up that they are not fun and they can be painful, but really, don't worry. It's not all that terrible and the pain passes quickly -- it's more like a week of discomfort and sensitivity than it is real pain.

When you come out of surgery, depending on how much is done, you could see a lot of bruising and your nose will feel really stuffy. Don't try to blow your nose or "pick out" any obstruction. In my case, and probably in yours, they will put a pair of plastic splints in your nose. That's what causes the stuffy full feeling. In about a week or two, they will clip a couple stitches that are holding in the plastic splints and then pull them out. When that happens it feels oh so good! That will be a wonderful day for you.

I have been told that knee surgery and nose surgery are the most painful. I've had both and it's not all that bad. Do EXACTLY as the doctor tells you about elevation, cold packs, not lifting, etc and you will be just fine. If you have a favorite pain pill, then ask him for that. My favorite is oxycodone. Whatever you do, don't take any of NSAID's Aleve, Ibuprofren, etc. But the doc will probably tell you that.

The third surgery I had was to increase the air channel to my sinuses. I knew what I was going to look forward to for a couple weeks and told the doc to go ahead anyway even though I suspected he was trying to make another boat payment. It was the best surgery I've had to date. Fantastic! Everytime I go to bed and breath through my nose, I think of my doc and what a wonderful job he did. I even took his team cookies and popcorn at Christmas. I am so thankful I had it done.

But anyway, I digress, there really is nothing to worry about and don't let your first two weeks or even first few months with your new nose lead you to think that that is what you are ending up with. A takes a long time for the swelling to go down and for your nose to start feeling a part of you again. No worries.....

Dirty Don
01-06-2012, 05:07 PM
my nasal reconstruction surgery has me worked up. I have had crazy dreams.

I had some sinus surgery (corrected septum/decreased size of Eustachian w/new procedure-WG did in the tube!!) recently. Dreams, anxiety, balking...right up to the point where the anesthesiologist turned the valve to the 'juice' on! Woke up breathing fine, felt as good as the ENT said...it was all just me...hang in there. I'm sure my surgery isn't what yours is or will be, but, like you, I was scared and unsure about it and I just endured 'deathly' surgery this summer...hehe, guess it was good I was 'out'...you will get thru it, you are in good hands cuz you chose them...keep yourself preoccupied, etc. It helps along with Phil's and others' prayers...best to you!

Dirty Don
01-06-2012, 05:13 PM
I'll tell you straight up that they are not fun and they can be painful, but really, don't worry. It's not all that terrible and the pain passes quickly -- it's more like a week of discomfort and sensitivity than it is real pain.

vdub, FYI: my recent sinus surgery was a 'new' procedure used at Mayo...instead of the plastic, doc takes out what is needed to be gone with a camera and knife and laser, if necessary. Then, using the tissue/mucous lining along side where your plastic strips went, doc sews that tissue up with dissolving stitches. By that nite, no blood, in 2 days blowing nose lightly, rinsing by 3rd day, and NO swelling or pain whatsoever...doc said she learned it from another doc who mentored her in it. She was all excited to use it on me!!! Jeez!! No, it was not fun, but I've had worse days at the dentist!! Oh, and NO packing at all! Just some under my nose the first day.

Nancy-S
01-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Ill will say prayers too. I had nose surgery three years ago. When I was coming out of the anesthesia I threatened to kick the doctors arse. I told the nurses that I could take him on in a fight (I was in my 4th year fight training so I wasn't far off). I had gone a little crazy though. I think a natural human response to someone pounding on my nose with a hammer, even though I was out cold I knew be had hurt me!

Recovery was slow but just stay on your pain pills and be patient with yourself. Also, as with any surgery recovery, keep yourself hydrated.

Nancy-S
01-06-2012, 05:22 PM
I also had no packing. Just bandage underneith to catch fluids and disolvable stitches.

vdub
01-06-2012, 05:39 PM
I also had no packing. Just bandage underneith to catch fluids and disolvable stitches
Well, dang, that's taking all the sport and fun out of it. You can't even lay around for a week watching Law&Order reruns and whining to your family to bring you stuff.... Sheeeezeeee..... Way tooooo easy.... :-)

Nancy-S
01-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Oh no no..I was down for weeks. That kind of surgery messes with the body. I was exhausted for a long time. My in-laws took the kids for an entire month. I slept most of that time and watched TLC's What Not to Wear the rest of the time.

Al
01-06-2012, 06:20 PM
....When I was coming out of the anesthesia I threatened to kick the doctors arse. I told the nurses that I could take him on in a fight (I was in my 4th year fight training so I wasn't far off). I had gone a little crazy though. I think a natural human response to someone pounding on my nose with a hammer, even though I was out cold I knew be had hurt me!

(Imagine that woman on hgh-dose steroids!)

Al

Nancy-S
01-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Oh Al, you crack me up. My husband says I'm 5'2 and think I'm 6'2. Can't help it if I can fight harder and longer the most men. My next fight level is called Tactical Black Krav Maga...I look forward to resume training but maybe not on pred?

Al
01-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Oh Al, you crack me up. My husband says I'm 5'2 and think I'm 6'2. Can't help it if I can fight harder and longer the most men. My next fight level is called Tactical Black Krav Maga...I look forward to resume training but maybe not on pred?

Maybe not. I'm rather a Clark Kent pussycat, but on the hi-test juice, I could knock out the entire evil empire with my left pinkie alone. In any case, you might feel like hitting eighty home runs, but you will pay for it later. Still, I think you are onto something therapeutic concerning the doc's keister.

Al

Nancy-S
01-06-2012, 07:07 PM
It sounds like a fine line to balance. Lovely.

The ENT heard all about my threats and laughed. His nursing staff wasn't impressed though. Still, it did make me feel better.

mama2005
01-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Well, dang, that's taking all the sport and fun out of it. You can't even lay around for a week watching Law&Order reruns and whining to your family to bring you stuff.... Sheeeezeeee..... Way tooooo easy.... :-)
I wish my surgery was going to be that easy but the doctor has to remove a rib bone and cartlidge to build me a nose. I am not sure about splints but he is putting a screw in my face to
hold the bone in place. The doctor was honest with me he told me my nose deformity was the
worst he had seen from the disease (I have a picture on my profile) but that he could still build me a new nose just not my old one. I am not good with anesthetic so I guess everything just keeps me worrying. I know I will make it thought.

Psyborg
01-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Do your best to relax, I know it's not easy. You go to good doctors so you should be well cared for.

chrisTIn@
01-07-2012, 02:13 AM
I am not good with anesthetic...

What do you mean by that?
Are you afraid of the anestetics?
I was too, but I had an extra talk about my fears with the anesthetic doctor and that releaved my fears...
Maybe you can call him? For an extra appointment?

Good luck mama2005!
Probably it's gonna work out fine!
You are in my thoughts.

mama2005
01-07-2012, 03:22 AM
I have talked with the doctor and the anesthesiologist and I can't say its just that I am afraid. With WG my airway has closed 50%. I had a small airway to begin with so now to have a tube put down my throat makes it very hard and risky. The doctors say it risky because putting the tube in could leave me with more scar tissue which mean my airway will close more. I also don't tend to wake up knowing where I am and freak out. I will be hospitialized for a couple days so they will be able to monitor my nausea. In the past with surgery I am not able to keep anything down for a few days so I am normally on a Iv for hydration. I know that I have a few more weeks to wait and that I will make it through but I will be nervous untill I am out. thanks every body for your thoughts and prayers. I will try to keep busy for the next few weeks.

annekat
01-07-2012, 03:50 AM
Mama, thanks for posting the pic of your saddle nose on your profile. I was curious and just looked at it, since I have one, too. Yes, it's a little worse than mine, but with some similarities, mainly the upturned tip making the nostrils more prominent. My glasses cover up the dented part pretty well.

Anyway, I meant to say that although I've not had the surgery, I've seen several posts that say the worst pain was from where they removed the cartilage from the rib, and not so much in the nose. However, I realize you have some additional complications, so understand your anxiety. My thoughts and prayers will be with you, too, and be sure to let us know when it approaches so we can concentrate on that even more.

As for calming your nerves, I guess I'd say to get plenty of rest and relaxation for a couple of weeks before, and don't schedule anything that would add to your stress. Make sure there are extra family members and friends around to take some of the load off. And I'm sure Al is correct (I think it was Al) that you are in good hands. Best of luck and congrats on getting it done!

Anne

annekat
01-07-2012, 03:55 AM
And I forgot to say, just think about how happy you'll be with your new nose. I am looking forward to pictures of that!

Anne

Sangye
01-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Mama, I am deathly afraid of dentists and had to have oral surgery a few years ago while still on oxygen and very weak. Because of the oxygen the surgeon said he might not be able to fully anaesthetize me and I might be aware and even experience pain. I was out of my mind with terror. I had a friend who does hypotherapy. She made a CD for me to play beginning a week or so beforehand and right before the procedure. It was a guided meditation intended to relax. It worked great! I wasn't the least bit anxious going in and recovered better than he had expected. The mind is powerful! You might be able to find something like this online.

gwenllian111
01-07-2012, 05:18 AM
I'm in hospital waiting for my surgery any minute now. I'm impressed with the nhs on this occasion! I've been struggling at home with flu like symptoms, headaches, high temp for weeks - so I was admitted yesterday and found out that part of my septum has collapsed, and that I have a bad infection in the sinuses. I'm going into theatre now to get it sorted as my crop is through the roof.

I'm glad I don't have ti wait too long. My anxiety gets on top of me too. Ask your gp for a short course of diazepam or something to help tide you over....

Good luck mama x

Yvonnea
01-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Just keep on focusing on how great you are going to feel once the op. is done. You have gone through so much already, this is just one more hurdle.
I will keep everything crossed that it goes as smoothly as possible. The very best of luck to both you and gwenllian111.

Sangye
01-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Wow Gwen, I hope everything goes well. Please let us know that you're okay!

mama2005
01-07-2012, 03:29 PM
I hope things go good and you get better gwen. I will definatly check out the internet for the info on the music sangye. thank you.

Al
01-07-2012, 06:13 PM
I hope things go good and you get better gwen. I will definatly check out the internet for the info on the music sangye. thank you. The idea of music is potentially very powerful. The trick is in finding what works for you; it needs to have meaning. If, like me, you can't abide (and just get riled up from) more than 10 minutes of new age music, that won't help much. It all depends on what does it for you.

Al

drz
01-07-2012, 11:00 PM
For anxiety i would try a minor tranquilizer that has short term effects and or hypnotherapy to learn self hypnosis to calm yourself down. Biofeedback relaxation therapy can also be very effective for people who have trouble learning to meditate.

Best wishes for success for you two and anyone else having surgery in near future. Very glad to hear the new developments in surgery help make it more bearable too. good luck!

delorisdoe
01-08-2012, 01:19 AM
The idea of music is potentially very powerful. The trick is in finding what works for you; it needs to have meaning. If, like me, you can't abide (and just get riled up from) more than 10 minutes of new age music, that won't help much. It all depends on what does it for you.

Al

funny you should say that as this is very true for me too but for some odd reason the smashing pumkins calm me down in a way I cannot explain. Mostly the song Disarm.

gwenllian111
01-08-2012, 01:19 AM
My surgery has been delayed the surgeon won't do it because of my airway problems. Argh. :-(

gwenllian111
01-08-2012, 01:20 AM
I was really hoping for the relief of getting my sinuses cleared I've felt ill for so long it.

delorisdoe
01-08-2012, 02:46 AM
I am so sorry to hear that. I had high hopes for you.

pberggren1
01-08-2012, 02:50 AM
This totally sucks Gwen. What airway issues do you have? And what exactly will you have done to your sinuses?

Sangye
01-08-2012, 05:29 AM
I hope things go good and you get better gwen. I will definatly check out the internet for the info on the music sangye. thank you.

Mama, it's not music (though there might be music in the background). It's a guided visualization intended to relax.

Sangye
01-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Aww Gwen-- that stinks! :sad:

Al
01-08-2012, 07:42 AM
How long do you have to be in this purgatory, Gwen?

Al

mama2005
01-08-2012, 01:49 PM
sorry I was trying to multitask and got what I was typing wrong. I am gathering info thanks sorry for the mistake.