PDA

View Full Version : It's just a game.

Hammy8241
01-06-2012, 04:09 AM
A friend of mine on here is currently having a bad time of it. You know, increased sinus involvement, headaches, had to increase the pred again, same old , same old.

It got me thinking that Wegeners is just a game. A potentially serious game but a game never the less. Even if you follow all the rules (written or not) you are not certain of reaching the end. So many pitfalls and traps along the way.

So what game is there that relate to the WG journey?

To my mind, good old “Snakes and Ladders” fit the bill perfectly. The ladders are for the wonderful moments when your hearing returns, a pred reduction, your first 100yd walk after many months, being accepted for RTX and so on.

The Snakes (hiss, boo) for the increase in pred, return of the nose bleeds, shortness of breath, increase in joint pain and so on. The years and month getting towards remission and WHAM a snake takes you back to the start again.

Designing this WG board game sounds like a job for Marta!! Christmas presents sorted for all the family too.:biggrin1:

How about you?
What game do see Wg as?

delorisdoe
01-06-2012, 05:04 AM
I am not very good at games. I always tend to loose. I will walk away from a game unfinished never to return if I am doing really bad.

Sangye
01-06-2012, 05:12 AM
I've also thought of it as "Snakes and Ladders!" I also feels like "Twister" sometimes, as we try to conform to the ever-changing drugs and treatment plans.

And I swear every time I have some setback I hear a little bell and someone say "Sorry!" as I get sent back to the beginning. You guys remember this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmdfSXWVW1M)?

Dirty Don
01-06-2012, 05:21 AM
CLUE for me...I keep thinking the answer is in 'there', but I can't find it...yikes!!

Hammy8241
01-06-2012, 05:33 AM
I am not very good at games. I always tend to loose. I will walk away from a game unfinished never to return if I am doing really bad.

And I was going to see if you wanted to play strip poker until I read the last sentence - what a waste:blink::w00t::biggrin1:

delorisdoe
01-06-2012, 05:58 AM
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha funny

Psyborg
01-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Does Craps count? :)

Al
01-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Does Craps count? :)

You mean rolling the cosmic dice, Bob? Or: It's a big-time crappy game...? Or both...?

Al

Dirty Don
01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
You mean rolling the cosmic diceAl

Doesn't matter...it's a house game...we lose...eventually, but I love rolling them!!! LOL

Al
01-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Doesn't matter...it's a house game...we lose...eventually, but I love rolling them!!! LOL

Ah, Don, a variation on the old saw: You can't win, you can't break even, but they won't let you get out of the game. Thing is, you might win--for a while. Then you don't. Snakes and Ladders is Sisyphus rolling that rock, don't you know!

Al

Psyborg
01-06-2012, 12:57 PM
You mean rolling the cosmic dice, Bob? Or: It's a big-time crappy game...? Or both...?

Al

Yes...to both :p

pberggren1
01-06-2012, 01:07 PM
I play Scrabble. It is much like Wegs.

KathyB
01-10-2012, 03:06 AM
I've really enjoyed this thread! The first game that came to my mind re WG was "Yahtzee". Lots of dice rolling, trying to make certain combinations work, and of course, trying to get the all-important Yahtzee role (5 of a kind) to earn the maximum points and WIN (go into remission!).

KB

Sangye
01-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm having a lot of migratory pain these days that zoings a joint and moves to another really fast. It occurred to me yesterday that it's like the electronic game Simon trying to pin it down. Remember that one?

Dirty Don
01-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm having a lot of migratory pain these days that zoings a joint and moves to another really fast. It occurred to me yesterday that it's like the electronic game Simon trying to pin it down. Remember that one?

I've had that pain...various joints over a week's time...sheesh. I loved Simon with the kids though!!

Al
01-10-2012, 03:38 PM

Simon seems to have passed me by. But Sangye, it sounds like you could be describing some kinds of pinball....

Al

drz
01-10-2012, 07:43 PM
I think of the game I used to see at piazza places where you try to Whack the Mole who keeps popping up out of numerous holes. There was no way to keep it down in the holes.

Sangye
01-11-2012, 05:20 AM
The game of Simon was a machine with 4 colored buttons. Each one would light up and make a sound. You had to reproduce the pattern by pressing different buttons. It started easy, by lighting up one button. Then it built up one by one and got faster, too. Pretty soon it was insane trying to pin it down.

Here's (http://macgamescout.org/simon-extreme/) a picture to jog your memory!

Sangye
01-11-2012, 05:21 AM
I think of the game I used to see at piazza places where you try to Whack the Mole who keeps popping up out of numerous holes. There was no way to keep it down in the holes.

Oh yeah, I've definitely called it Whack a Mole before! But then I feel bad about the little mole.

delorisdoe
01-11-2012, 05:35 AM
The only game I was ever good at was world of warcraft and that is only because I played alongside my husband. I was his healer. it was hard. to be the healer.

Dryhill
01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
The way I have been feeling since last Friday, I think the game is more like Russian Roulette. My problem is I keep pulling the trigger and cannot find the chamber with the bullet ....... oh heck one more try and I might be lucky.

Al
01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
The game of Simon was a machine with 4 colored buttons. Each one would light up and make a sound. You had to reproduce the pattern by pressing different buttons. It started easy, by lighting up one button. Then it built up one by one and got faster, too. Pretty soon it was insane trying to pin it down.

This is, in fact, a pretty good description of an electronic version of Whack-a-Mole! I am fascinated that others also like the Whack-a-Mole image. I have used it myself, several times--mostly in discussing the strategy of bashing the immune system.

Al

Dryhill
01-11-2012, 09:37 PM
This is, in fact, a pretty good description of an electronic version of Whack-a-Mole! I am fascinated that others also like the Whack-a-Mole image. I have used it myself, several times--mostly in discussing the strategy of bashing the immune system.

Al

I am getting very concerned about you Al, this whacking moles seems to be getting a bit close to some form of bdsm kink. All just because the poor thing wants to make little hills all over your lawn. :razz:

Al
01-12-2012, 09:12 AM
I am getting very concerned about you Al, this whacking moles seems to be getting a bit close to some form of bdsm kink. All just because the poor thing wants to make little hills all over your lawn. :razz: Might be kinky, Jim, but, actually, i was taking the varmints' side in this. Down with whacking! After all, those hills suggest that it is too dangerous to mow the darned lawn....

Al

Dryhill
01-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Might be kinky, Jim, but, actually, i was taking the varmints' side in this. Down with whacking! After all, those hills suggest that it is too dangerous to mow the darned lawn....

Al

Ahhh that is a crafty plan you have there Al.

My neighbour mowed his lawns last weekend. If the rain holds off and I can muster the energy I had better do mine, of course having a few moles would be useful!

Jim

Al
01-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Ahhh that is a crafty plan you have there Al.

My neighbour mowed his lawns last weekend. If the rain holds off and I can muster the energy I had better do mine, of course having a few moles would be useful!

Jim

...Plus, you've gotta remember, I am a Sick Old Man (heh-heh--and thank you, my rodentine friends).