PDA

View Full Version : anyone use maxalt or other migraine meds since dx?

Nancy-S
01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
I've been experiencing an awful ear ache with / or migraine. Usually I use Maxalt but the last time I used it I got numb feet and extra afib (chronic heart stuff that I've had for years). After reading the insert it says not to take if I have vascular issues. I'm getting desperate for relief though.

Al
01-05-2012, 02:25 PM
I've been experiencing an awful ear ache with / or migraine. Usually I use Maxalt but the last time I used it I got numb feet and extra afib (chronic heart stuff that I've had for years). After reading the insert it says not to take if I have vascular issues. I'm getting desperate for relief though.

Don't know how to answer this, Nancy. I used to have a lot of cluster-type headaches, but that is one thing that I have been pretty free of since this whole business erupted. Now, the only pain reliever I am allowed is Tylenol, and I don't trust that. There is a world of "natural" migraine remedies, though I have no idea how effective any of them are, other than to say that a warm bath in the complete dark always helped me in my headache days. If you try any method that involves supplements, please make sure your doctor--the one you can have a conversation with--knows about it.

Al

Sangye
01-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Nancy, guess what Maxalt and other migraine meds cause? Rebound migraines. That means as soon as the drug wears off you get another migraine. That side effect gets worse the more often you take the drug. It's very easy to get stuck taking it every day because stopping means a killer migraine that lasts for days.

You have to find the cause of the migraine. Is the earache due to Wegs?

Nancy-S
01-06-2012, 12:21 AM
I do have less migraines since getting sick. I think Tramadol and no energy to be the go-go-go Israeli Street Fighting mom I used to be allows me to get sleep. Both those (tramadol, sleep) seem to work as a preventative.

I don't use them daily. Since the start of the rx (yrs ago) I worried about it. Anything that works on the small vessels in my brain wasn't always welcome by me. Today is HORRIBLE. The ear ache settled in overnight. My eustachian tube is so big and clogged the pain is no bueno. Waiting for doc to open. Last time this happened Bactrum and decongestants and pain pills helped get me through. Ugh!

Nancy-S
01-06-2012, 12:23 AM
This all started when my 13 year old brought home a virus. The other kids didn't get it. I catch it all.

vdub
01-06-2012, 05:34 PM
I am on a regimin of tramadol (37.5/325) 3 times a day. Good stuff... I have been on it for about 8 months and have no plans of quitting.....

Nancy-S
01-06-2012, 05:52 PM
There's a lot of serritonin in it. When you decide to get off (if you do) wean super slow. There's something called serritonin discontinuation syndrome that may happen...its NO FUN!

Nancy-S
01-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Just curious, is it rx'd by Koening? My local rheumy has had me on 50 to 200/day. Loves to hand that stuff out. My last appt with him I shared my desire to get off (been on it 14 months) and his response was "why" and gave 400 more. Its not my fav but when I don't take it I feel yucky.

Sangye
01-07-2012, 04:57 AM
My last appt with him I shared my desire to get off (been on it 14 months) and his response was "why" and gave 400 more.
If a doctor told me that I'd be really upset. Many doctors do this because keeping patients doped up keeps them quiet, not because it's in their best interest. :angry:

Nancy-S
01-07-2012, 11:53 AM
I was frustrated beyond belief at this particular appt. I took my husband. We were going to tell the dr I was through with meds. Instead he surprised me with the "I think ur developing fibromyalgia..." speech. He proceeded to say "there's two anca tests and I believe yours is the one that doesn't have a lot of meaning" He looked in his (my) file and said "nevermind...yours is the one that usually means something.

It wasn't until that exact moment, that I realized I was not getting the care I deserved.

Sangye
01-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Ack! I can't wait until this doctor in your past. :sad:

Nancy-S
01-07-2012, 05:34 PM
14 months of it. The first doc ran tests and told me I was fine. Even with feet/leg tissue/joint pain and C-ANA. "You are fine but if you need to see me, make an appointment". No thanks. But he is one that will get my letter (I haven't written yet... but going alone to Utah Ill have lots of down time and hope to accomplish it there). Dang I'm scared. Last few moments of a semi-normal life.

Al
01-07-2012, 05:36 PM
I was frustrated beyond belief at this particular appt....It wasn't until that exact moment, that I realized I was not getting the care I deserved.

Walk, run, or slither, Nancy. If you had an electrician that was that cavalier with your wiring, your house would be a charred mess by now. You deserve, and are paying for, a real doctor, not a poser, regardless of his degree. That is my honest opinion.

Al

Sangye
01-08-2012, 05:23 AM
What Al said.

Trudy
01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
I am on a regimin of tramadol (37.5/325) 3 times a day. Good stuff... I have been on it for about 8 months and have no plans of quitting.....

I was on Tramadol for about 9 months, and also had no plans of quitting. I thought it was helpful with overall pain, then I started having horrible leg pains. I went shopping and forgot to take it, and missed the next dose too. Realizing I was not having any leg pain, I checked the side effects......not common, but yes, it was listed. I weaned off over the next few days and haven't had those leg pains since. I would have never suspected it was actually causing some of my pain. These drugs can be so tricky!