PDA

View Full Version : High Blood Pressure

TOBEY32
01-02-2012, 01:48 PM
On 2 meds: Metoprolol and Hydralazine. Taking them as prescribed, my blood pressure is still over the 130/90 reading I was told is about right for a person w/ kidney issues/Weg's.
Maybe I'm taking the wrong one(s)? Maybe not enough?
It can fluctuate, but 150-160 (top #) is pretty regular. There have been a couple of times lately (this morning) when the bottom number was also LOWER than even 80. Don't know what that says. Seems like one would either have problems with #'s reading always higher, or always lower than they should be?
Anyone experience, not dangerously high, but regularly higher blood pressure? - David

Al
01-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Anyone experience, not dangerously high, but regularly higher blood pressure? - David

I do, David, and have ever since a bad bacterial infection in the '90s (which, for complicated reasons, I suspect to be the origin of my present ailment). I monitor mine at home daily, and it usually comes in at about 130/80, with medication. My doctor, a nephro, doesn't get worried until 140/90 or more. I have amlodipine (Norvasc), a calcium channel blocker, and furosimide (Lasix), a diuretic. Every other day, I take a small piece of atenolol.

Al

pberggren1
01-02-2012, 04:56 PM
My bp lately is pretty good. Usually 120/80. But it has been all over the board and usually quite higher when I'm on higher doses of pred. I'm on 20 of pred right now though.

Stephanie78
01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
John is on Metoporal and another BP medicine. His BP was CRAZY. 180/130ish. He is now off of all meds except the BP meds and his average is 120/70. Seems like once he was off of the Prednisone it lowered.
We had to keep a close eye on his due to him having a 80% blockage in a secondary artery and a small aneurysm in one of the main arteries. With the disease and the meds your heart has to work so much harder. Make sure you keep a record of your numbers daily and take it to your doctor.
Good news is, once things settle down, the BP should as well.

Stephanie78
01-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Oh and they also have him taking a low dose of a baby asprin daily.

drz
01-03-2012, 06:12 AM
My nephrologists want me to try keep blood pressure around 110/70 and it is usually in that range. I now take two meds to lower it but hold one if under 110 and hold two if under 100. I was on three till I fainted from low BP due to dehydration from bladder infection. Some times I get down to 90/58 or up to 144/88 but usually I am with in 10 points of my target. I should check it when ever I take my BP meds but sometimes skip those checks just like I skip the blood glucose checks when I bolus my insulin.

Does everyone always do these checks that you know you are supposed to do, but don't feel are essential since the results are generally in OK range anyway?

They took me off the baby aspirin after Wegs was diagnosed and other meds too like metformin and Altace and told me not to take those anymore.

reb876
01-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Hi Tobey, I have kidney issues, 20% function my blood pressure since starting the meds just under one month ago is also in the 150 range over high 80s, I find my pulse is very irregular, ranging from 7o to sometimes over 100, just sitting doing nothing, I am sure it will settle when I get to drop the meds, notice everybody I said when and not if, Positive thinking with a stubborn attitude will beat this.

Steve

Stephanie78
01-03-2012, 09:37 AM
In the beginning John was told to stay off of any motrin related meds and asprin. Tylenol only. After his heart cath showed an aneurysm and a blockage they spoke with the cardiologist and agreed that he should take a low dose of baby asprin a day.
This was Johns situation. It was kinda a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

RudiK
01-03-2012, 09:49 AM
My BP was always, at least for the past 10 years, at about 150 over 90. It jumped to 190 over 95 in September 2011 when I switched meds from CTX to Aza.*I'm now taking 40mg/25mg Benicar/HCT trying to pushed it down to below 130 over 75. So far it has gone down to about 145 over 73 with a pulse rate of 85. I'm suppose to report back to my nephrologists this coming Wednesday. Will see what he does then.
Rudi K

Paul England
01-03-2012, 10:31 AM
I am a bit confused on blood pressure. Recently I have struggled with high blood pressure. Systolic 160 to 180 and diastolic ranging from 110 to 127. My GP says its' probably because of Prednisolone, personally I'm not convinced! I do take Ramipril and Amlodipine to try and combat this problem!

Paul :)

Al
01-03-2012, 12:14 PM
I am a bit confused on blood pressure. Recently I have struggled with high blood pressure. Systolic 160 to 180 and diastolic ranging from 110 to 127. My GP says its' probably because of Prednisolone, personally I'm not convinced! I do take Ramipril and Amlodipine to try and combat this problem!

Paul :) This is quite high, Paul. Particularly worrisome are the diastolic numbers. The pred might be implicated, but can't be the total reason, I'm sure. It's somewhat unusual to prescribe both an ACE inhibitor (ramiril) and a calcium channel blocker (amlodipine). But given that, you would think that the combo would be more effective. Two questions: Do you have much of a cough? (Such could be related to the rampiril) And do you have serious kidney involvement?

Al

Sangye
01-03-2012, 03:30 PM
I had high bp on high dose pred. It wasn't high enough to treat, but it came down on its own as the pred was tapered. It's pretty common but they do have to rule out all other causes.

Paul England
01-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Two questions: Do you have much of a cough? (Such could be related to the rampiril) And do you have serious kidney involvement?

Al

Hi Al,
'No cough'! My Rheumatologist told me that some patients suffer from this cough you mention as a result of taking Ramipril, not me. I have been on the Ramipril for the last two and a half years now, taking a dose of 10mg. The Amlodipine only for a month now! I will be going back to my GP this week anyway to discuss the high BP and other issues that need addressing.

I do have slight Kidney impairment as a result of the WG. My GFR is stable at 72. My inflammatory markers are also stable, I don’t know what my CRP is, as also my ANCA because I didn’t ask my Renal consultant last time I saw him, back in November. He didn't seem concerned with my bloods. I am seeing my Rheumatologist next week so will bring up any concerns I have in regards to high BP and on-going symptoms.

Paul

KathyB
01-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Like many of you, I have had sustained high blood pressure since being diagnosed. It seems to be related to prednisone and has improved as the dose is now been holding steady at 15 mg/day for a while. I was on Amlopidine (5mg) for only about 10 days (in addition to diuretic Chlorthalidone 25mg which I'm still on) when I had the rash/itch allergic reaction now attributed to Voriconazole anti-fungal med I was on since pneumonia in early November. My BP had always been in 110/70 range and since September has been averaging 150/90+. My pulse remains much higher than usual -- 60 vs 100+. (Has been as high as 132 as recorded in ER...scary!) I've had numerous EKGs and tests with no heart problems. This may be a result of being totally out of shape and so much less active!

Jules
01-04-2012, 06:56 AM
Hi Paul - suffered with high bp for quite a while and, like you was taking 10mg Ramipril and also Amlodipine. My nephrologist is adamant that it should be no higher than 120/70 so that my kidneys are not overworked. Have eventually achieved that reading, but only by forcing myself to exercise more - try to do at least an hours exercise of some sort each day - even if it is just a brisk dog walk! Persistance seems to have paid off and now just on the Ramipril! Fingers crossed yours comes down in the not too distant future.

onatreetop
01-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Hi Paul,

sounds like an old record over and over sometimes I know. it seems that once the steriods are on board every system changes. My bp was the first thing to raise beyond the normal rates. Even with 2 bp meds I couldnt get the pulse down enough. I ended up taking valium with the steriods together every dose and still do otherwise my pulse is over 100 now. I am a very active middle aged mother of 4. So you can imagine the stress and pressure that goes with this wonderful wegginess. Some how we make it work.
I also tried higher doses of bp meds and they made me drop to low in the begining until we workedout the valium dose. good luck.

Al
01-04-2012, 01:03 PM
'No cough'! My Rheumatologist told me that some patients suffer from this cough you mention as a result of taking Ramipril, not me. I have been on the Ramipril for the last two and a half years now, taking a dose of 10mg. The Amlodipine only for a month now! I will be going back to my GP this week anyway to discuss the high BP and other issues that need addressing. I do have slight Kidney impairment as a result of the WG. My GFR is stable at 72. My inflammatory markers are also stable, I don’t know what my CRP is, as also my ANCA because I didn’t ask my Renal consultant last time I saw him, back in November. He didn't seem concerned with my bloods. I am seeing my Rheumatologist next week so will bring up any concerns I have in regards to high BP and on-going symptoms.

So, Paul, your kidneys are in pretty good shape, so I think we blame the pred, or complications from its use, for the most part. As Jules notes, walking a bunch might help. You should get copies of all your tests and study them--they will tell you a lot about how your doctor looks at your case, and help you in your own education. If your potassium is stable, you might ask your doctor about trying Cozaar or similar angiotensin II receptor antagonist. Nephrologists typically like it.

Al

me2
01-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Lots of good advice here. I am reluctant to break out with another idea. I have no idea of its scope of effectiveness except from the Super Supplement store the put ME in this direction. I claim no authority but feel bound to relate my own experience.

My bp has be borderline for at least two years. I attribute this to Pred and lack of exercise as someone else here mentioned.
I am currently at 15 mg pred, the lowest level for several years. Still...

My dentist would not do work me because I had crossed the 140/90 level. I had be living near this level for a couple of years.
I told my doc I did not want more meds. He understood my concern and said I was fit for the dental procedure.

Enter the Super Supplement staff---- I then asked them what I could do to lower my BP.
This is a store I learned to trust and two different people pointed me to ONE product. Carditone

In less than two weeks I saw MY bp drop to the range of 128/80. Not great but significantly out of the danger zone.
I am over weight because of pred. I am out of shape due to many days of not feeling well. I hope to correct those things in the future as my situation improves. Until then, I have been given a reprieve from high bp.

Will this product work for others? I don't know , but I do know that two employees swear by the same treatment. One with direct experience with the person closest to her in this world. This is powerful testimony.

I look forward to my next doc visit, where I get to challenge him a bit to explain my improvement in spite of no change in conventional treatment.

Ultimately we are all responsible for the decisions about our treatment. I wish you all the best in internal guidance.