PDA

View Full Version : Im getting there, I think

Tom
12-29-2011, 06:36 AM
I posted the the post titled pred question awile back. I have been tapering no for some time and I have tapered down to 20mg from the 60. I have run into more edema and have been cut off all salt and will be going to see a dietician soon. Not sure how to avoid salt in an everyday diet. I guess the kidneys,although working they need help and she threatened a hospital stay if I wasnt better by the end of this week. So far, I have little swelling but have caught a chest cold and feel achey. I have an appointment with my pulmo tommorow (Thrusday) and have been in touch with her on this issue but this is the path I took when I flared at the time of my dx. I could go in today if I feel the need but she left that up to me with a warning ,not to let it get no worse than it is with out coming in. Anyway, I'm happy to get rid of some of the predisone and Im determined to stay down off it. I did fail to mention to the pulmo that from the 20th when I saw the nephro and she put me back on the lasix, I dropped 10lbs by the 24th, this is not good I know but I will see her tommorow

Al
12-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Tom, that is a lot of weight to lose in so short a time. Just from a little lasix? How much are they giving you? As for the edema, that is surely a direct result of challenged kidneys. You are right: It is not possible to have zero sodium intake in a normal diet, or even a closely monitored diet. But a zero sodium diet is problematic for other reasons: Sodium is one the the necessary electrolytes (along with potassium, magnesium, and calcium. The body cannot do without some of it. The kidneys do have to process all these electrolytes, so those in poor shape have a lower tolerance for overload. Let us know what the nephro has to say for herself.

Al

Sangye
12-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Tom, whenever I've tapered pred too quickly I get terrible edema. (I already have a problem with lower extremity edema, and it goes wild with a bad taper.)

Are you certain that it's a chest cold and not Wegs? The combination of pred taper plus edema plus chest congestion makes me think Wegs. The edema and chest congestion could also be caused by other things like cardiac insufficiency or kidney issues. But Wegs always has to be ruled out first.