PDA

View Full Version : New treatment?

freakyschizogirl
12-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Hi fellow weggies, and happy holidays.

I was just browsing a English Newspaper website and saw this story.

It got a little bit too technical for me towards the end but what are people's thoughts on this?

Vaccine hope for sufferers of auto-immune diseases like Crohn's and rheumatoid arthritis - mirror.co.uk (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/health-news/2011/12/25/vaccine-hope-for-sufferers-of-auto-immune-diseases-like-crohn-s-and-rheumatoid-arthritis-115875-23658845/)

Al
12-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Hi fellow weggies, and happy holidays.

I was just browsing a English Newspaper website and saw this story.

It got a little bit too technical for me towards the end but what are people's thoughts on this?

Vaccine hope for sufferers of auto-immune diseases like Crohn's and rheumatoid arthritis - mirror.co.uk (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/health-news/2011/12/25/vaccine-hope-for-sufferers-of-auto-immune-diseases-like-crohn-s-and-rheumatoid-arthritis-115875-23658845/)

I read this, Steph. The technology is interesting, though 1) it will not directly impact WG sufferers because of its high specificity for certain other kinds of autoimmune diseases, and 2) it sill not be clinically available for several years at best. Part of this is that it takes a long ime to prove the concept, keeping any eye on safety with minimal side effects, Nevertheless, it does suggest a non-pharmaceutical approach to a "designer therapy". Thanks for sharing the link!

Al

freakyschizogirl
12-26-2011, 08:03 PM
No worries Al and its Sam, not Steph.

Al
12-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry, Sam--I knew that. Blame it on the stress of stewing over samsaric stupification. Also, I was simultaneously striving to speak to my son Stephen. Or just that I was a sick old man sitting around, silly on Christmas day....

Al

annekat
12-27-2011, 05:50 AM
Sorry, Sam--I knew that. Blame it on the stress of stewing over samsaric stupification. Also, I was simultaneously striving to speak to my son Stephen. Or just that I was a sick old man sitting around, silly on Christmas day....

Al OK, so I looked up samsaric on my Apple dashboard dictionary. "The cycle of death and rebirth to which life in the material world is bound". As for forgetting details or mixing them up, some of us are at the point where we don't know if it's our age or the Wegs or both. The younger ones can blame it on the Wegs, I guess.

Anne

Sangye
12-27-2011, 05:56 AM
(LOL My eyes popped to see the word "samsaric" used on our forum.)

When they do come up with a vaccine for Wegs, I'll be the last one in line to try it. :wink1:

Dirty Don
12-27-2011, 06:10 AM
(LOL My eyes popped to see the word "samsaric" used on our forum.):

He's just being alliterative & poetic, always a creative effort from Al!! LOL...evey blog needs a poet!!! ha!

Dirty Don
12-27-2011, 06:11 AM
When they do come up with a vaccine for Wegs, I'll be the last one in line to try it. :wink1:

Mmm, not sure about vaccines, BUT if they ever come up with a 'brain' insertion to control this or other diseases, I'm afraid I'd be right there asking for the implant...love electronics!! LOL

Al
12-27-2011, 07:34 AM
He's just being alliterative & poetic, always a creative effort from Al!! LOL...evey blog needs a poet!!! ha!

"Just..."? C'mon, Don--I'm not nearly as dumb as I look. And there is nothing wrong with a Word of the Week. Now that the word samsaric has been used several times on this forum, we might use that we are a fine bunch to invoke the Phoenix archetype of out with the old, in with the new.

Speaking of which, the idea of vaccines is an interesting one, and possibly useful, though vaccinating against every form of autoimmune disease seems preposterous on the face of it. Better yet to deal with insults and stressed to the immune system at the source. But to do this, we need far more information than we presently have, about the role of certain triggers and exacerbating agents. I strongly suspect that many environmental agents and conditions will, in this regard, be found to stress the immune system, allowing other agents, likely bacterial, to accomplish a lot of dirty work.

As I say, we need a lot more information. But think what a game-changer it would be, in terms of funding, a least, if it can be demonstrated conclusively that certain environmental conditions are heavily involved.

Al

Dirty Don
12-27-2011, 10:00 AM
First of all, 'just' implies more in my lexicon, not less...so I expect more of you!! LOL...now word of the week, how about a medical word, we're all versed there by now! And, yes, the Phoenix IS the archetype I prefer to follow now...the old didn't do it...or how was that working for me then??? LOL

Sighs, big sighs...funds...yes, funds...how to generate funds on a larger scale for all of these AI diseases...oh, we're from the NW, would mould have anything to do with our conditions? Ha! Thinking...hungry...talk later...LOL

Al
12-27-2011, 12:32 PM
First of all, 'just' implies more in my lexicon, not less...so I expect more of you!! LOL...now word of the week, how about a medical word, we're all versed there by now! And, yes, the Phoenix IS the archetype I prefer to follow now...the old didn't do it...or how was that working for me then??? LOL

Sighs, big sighs...funds...yes, funds...how to generate funds on a larger scale for all of these AI diseases...oh, we're from the NW, would mould have anything to do with our conditions? Ha! Thinking...hungry...talk later...LOL

Okay, quick now, on this merry evening:

Let's have one other gaudy night: call to me
All my sad captains: fill our bowls once more
Let's mock the midnight bell.
"Phoenix" and "Samsara" have different narratives, but the underlying archetype, the cycle of death and rebirth, are strikingly similar. Out of the ashes, you know.

Interesting you should mention "mould". It does seem that some kinds of fungus really do challenge the immune system....

Always funds. But first the narrative, then renewal. Though, come to think of it, neither one is easy on an empty stomach....

Al

freakyschizogirl
12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Al and Don i have absolutely NO idea what you two talk about. Think we need a seperate thread for you interlectuals - mad ravings of weggie geniuses??

Al
12-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Al and Don i have absolutely NO idea what you two talk about. Think we need a seperate thread for you interlectuals - mad ravings of weggie geniuses??

Really, S-S-S-Sam, we are not hijacking your thread. It is more like riffing on it. It is true, however, that pred and having faced down death does do strange things to brain function.

Al

Dirty Don
12-27-2011, 01:41 PM
, that pred and having faced down death does do strange things to brain function.Al

Brain function? What brain function? Give him more pred...he'll learn to love this disease! OMG, speaking in weirdness again...I apologize to all for any untenable or unnecessary commentaries on my part! But, blog riffing (new term?) is so much fun!

Sangye
12-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Mmm, not sure about vaccines, BUT if they ever come up with a 'brain' insertion to control this or other diseases, I'm afraid I'd be right there asking for the implant...love electronics!! LOL

Okay, you first. :w00t:

Sangye
12-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Really, S-S-S-Sam, we are not hijacking your thread. It is more like riffing on it. It is true, however, that pred and having faced down death does do strange things to brain function.

Al
No, that can't be it. Many of us have been in that category and we don't carry on like that. We're sophisticated and restrained.

And we're also :fullofwin: :flapper::flapper: