PDA

View Full Version : The Weather - A typical british thread!

Hammy8241
12-25-2011, 06:46 AM
Christmas Eve has been a wet affair in the South of England today and so a tad dull but very mild for the time of year. Christmas day looks like being another cloudy but warmish day (11C).

So whats the weather like where you are and did Santa need his waterproofs when he visited you?

Dirty Don
12-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Arizona desert, dry, cool, clear, light breeze...sighs...Merry Celebrations to All!!!!!

Dryhill
12-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Well in my part of the south of England (Oxted, Surrey) it has been dry all day with watery sunshine and about 8C. Santa will not need his waterproofs in my area tonight, but I do not expect him to visit me as I have not been a very good boy this year.

RudiK
12-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Here in El Paso/TX it is snowing a bit, temps are at 32 F (0 C), it is suppose to warm up again tomorrow. Merry Christmas all.

pberggren1
12-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I didn't think the Brits had weather.......lol, only cloudy all the time......lol.

We are about 3 C here today and sunny. Much the same forecast for the next week or so.

mishb
12-25-2011, 10:07 AM
It's nearly lunchtime here in Melbourne Australia, on Christmas day.

The weather will be 32/87 degrees today but it has been thunder storming, lightning and heavy rain since about 12.30 am

Yes, Santa definately needed his wet weather gear today. I feel sorry for all the families who enjoy their traditional breakfast in the park.

It will clear up soon and be very steaming hot. Good for the joints and nose though......there's always a plus.

Take care everyone and enjoy your festivities.

vdub
12-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Really great in our little part of the PNW. Spokane had a little snow (turning to rain), but we were dry with just a little overcast. 45F was the high.

annekat
12-25-2011, 02:04 PM
It was almost like spring in Olympia, Washington today. Mostly sun and not too cold, around 50F, I'd say. Tomorrow for Christmas, 100% chance of rain. But we've been lucky with the weather this December, driest on record yet not wintry cold.

Anne

rif
12-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Bit of a shower last night but stopped by the time Santa was due.
Christmas Day has started out sunny and mild.

annekat
12-26-2011, 02:34 AM
l've always heard the weather here in western Washington is a lot like that in Britain.....

A Merry and a Happy Christmas to everyone!

Anne

BrianR
12-26-2011, 04:05 AM
Merry Christmas everyone!

Today it is cloudy and mild in Jasper. Yesterday we had clear skies and Hana and I went for a ski together. I have attached a photo of my little skier herein. It was taken yesterday in the upper mountain of Marmot Basin.

Marta and Hana are still in bed at 10:00 am on Christmas morning. As much as Hana enjoys Christmas she is not the excitable type and is perfectly content to stay in bed knowing the gifts under the tree will be there when she gets up. She has always been like this. When asked if she was excited to be going to Hawaii to play in the ocean and the beaches she replied..."I don't know, I've never been there before". So...here I sit in eager anticipation of "the awakening" feeling more like the 5 year old at Christmas than my daughter herself actually is.

Rain, shine or snow, may you all have a wonderful Christmas and hope for the future, whatever it may hold.

Peace.1514

Al
12-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Merry Christmas everyone!

Today it is cloudy and mild in Jasper. Yesterday we had clear skies and Hana and I went for a ski together. I have attached a photo of my little skier herein. It was taken yesterday in the upper mountain of Marmot Basin....

Wonderful photo, Brian! And Hana sounds very wise. I am reminded of my favorite. response from a football coach to a reporter's question:
"Hey, coach, who's going to win the big game?" "How the heck should I know? That's why we're playin', to find out!" On some level, even the universe doesn't know how it is going to end up. Best to just keep playing the game, and eventually we'll see what happens. Yet, whatever that unknowable future may hold, there is also a strong element of hope in anticipation. The question is, I suppose, is how to balance they two things, to make sense of life for humans.

Here, it is like most Christmas days of my life: gray, a little windy, and not too cold. Bing Crosby, a Spokane native, belted out White Christmas, but in all my years, I think I have experienced no more than two of them. Nevertheless, holidays like this, with its special smells and tastes and sights and sounds, makes me very nostalgic, and oddly peaceful. Thanks, all.

mishb
12-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Christmas day is over and a new day has begun.

The weather yesterday was the worst that I can remember ever having for a Christmas day - 30 C down to 21 C later in the evening - humiidity very high.
We had sunshine, humidity, rain, hail, thunderstorms even a mini tornado in one part of Melbourne.....and this continued all day and night.

In short, that's Melbourne weather for you, four seasons in one day.

But all in all it was a wonderful day with way tooooo much food.

I hope you all enjoyed your day too.

Sangye
12-27-2011, 04:50 AM
It was freezing cold here but sunny and dry. So far a snow-less winter.

RCOSSIO
12-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Hahaha...well in Miami, mid 70's, sunshine and plently of it. Would be glad to share with those across the pond, but hey we can't have it all. You do have a Queen :wink1:

Widthofacircle
12-28-2011, 01:10 AM
We had very mild and warm Christmas weather here in Dublin, Ireland. The temperature was up around 12 C.
This time last year it was down to -12 C.
Imagine, a difference of 24 C from one year to the next.
Brendan

Dryhill
12-28-2011, 06:40 AM
This Christgmas Day, in most parts of the UK, was one degree below the highest temperature ever recorded for Christmas Day, last year snow!

Geoff
12-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Compared to last year its been almost tropical here but that hasnt stopped us lighting a huge fire in the fireplace (traditional) and whilst we didnt quite roast chestnuts, it did get flaming hot! Been out for a walk today around the sea wall and its been overcast but quite dramatic. Its so flat here we get 'huge' skys and for anyone in the UK who saw the first episode of 'Great Expectations' (filmed pricipally in our village) you will know what I mean.
A new Year is just around the corner and can I take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy and healthy time in 2012!! Good luck my friends.

annekat
12-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Compared to last year its been almost tropical here but that hasnt stopped us lighting a huge fire in the fireplace (traditional) and whilst we didnt quite roast chestnuts, it did get flaming hot! Been out for a walk today around the sea wall and its been overcast but quite dramatic. Its so flat here we get 'huge' skys and for anyone in the UK who saw the first episode of 'Great Expectations' (filmed pricipally in our village) you will know what I mean.
A new Year is just around the corner and can I take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy and healthy time in 2012!! Good luck my friends. The same to you and everyone on the forum, from me! I enjoy reading things about England since on my father's side, I am pure English. His parents grew up there. I lived in a flat place in California, so I know what you mean about the huge sky. Here in Olympia, Washington, it is not so flat, though some nearby areas are prairie-like. But the weather is said to be like that of England. And it's been somewhat "tropical" here, too, but I do enjoy heating the place with a wood stove. Happy New Year to all, and what a great group of people, a huge benefit to partially make up for having Wegener's.

Anne

Al
12-28-2011, 12:37 PM
...And it's been somewhat "tropical" here, too, but I do enjoy heating the place with a wood stove. Happy New Year to all, and what a great group of people, a huge benefit to partially make up for having Wegener's.

Yes, and I predict that we can be at at least intermittently ecstatic in the New Year (this disease is so bi-polar)! But, Anne, I am not sure I would call this area "'tropical'", even with the scare-quotes. However, it does sometimes feel like being in the middle of a rain forest. Just not a tropical one. And I do love our wood stove....

Al

annekat
12-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Yes, and I predict that we can be at at least intermittently ecstatic in the New Year (this disease is so bi-polar)! But, Anne, I am not sure I would call this area "'tropical'", even with the scare-quotes. However, it does sometimes feel like being in the middle of a rain forest. Just not a tropical one. And I do love our wood stove....

Al I really meant "almost tropical" compared to other years, as Geoff said about where he is in England. And I don't think I have ever seen "scare quotes" before.... I had to look back and make sure I hadn't typed it that way!

Anne

mishb
01-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Melbourne Chistmas was full of hail and storms, as mentioned.

Bring in the New Year and the temperatures are extreme. New Years day we had 36C/96.8F. Today we have a top of 40C/104F and continuing for a few more days.
The airconditioning is working a treat at the moment but the sinuses don't care much for it.

Take care everyone, in whatever weather conditions you are having at present.

Al
01-02-2012, 05:33 PM
....Bring in the New Year and the temperatures are extreme. New Years day we had 36C/96.8F. Today we have a top of 40C/104F and continuing for a few more days.
The airconditioning is working a treat at the moment but the sinuses don't care much for it.

That's hideous, Michelle. maybe you need to go north for the summer....

Al

mishb
01-02-2012, 05:51 PM
That's hideous, Michelle. maybe you need to go north for the summer....

Al

It is the wet season up North in Australia with temperatures still in the 30's and the humidity in the high 50's.
Better off staying put........and saving for a holiday abroad.

I hope everyone else is surviving their weather extremes whether they are high or low.

Dryhill
01-02-2012, 11:52 PM
I really wants lots of lovely snow, you see there are only two of us taxi drivers with 4x4's. Snow = money to me.

drz
01-03-2012, 04:30 AM
Our winter has been unusually warm this year. First Christmas in many years where we didn't have a white Christmas. We did have an inch of snow before Christmas but it melted from the warm weather. No snowmobiling, cross country skiing around here. Most of the ice skating is being done on the indoor hockey arena as outdoor ice keeps melting away. The local down hill ski places make ice snow so they are running but it is tough year for them so far. Tow truck drivers aren't doing very well either this winter. Many ice fishermen have fallen through the ice coming back from ice fishing and several fish house have melted through the ice and fallen in the lakes. Some of the four wheelers they were driving are under the ice too. The up side is a marked reduction in chances of bad flooding next spring when snow melts and governments have saved millions in snow removal costs so far this year.

Now when I post this we will probably get a big blizzard in a couple days with a foot of snow and minus 35 degrees temp and blowing winds that will close the Freeways for two days.

Sangye
01-03-2012, 05:05 AM
Many ice fishermen have fallen through the ice coming back from ice fishing and several fish house have melted through the ice and fallen in the lakes. Some of the four wheelers they were driving are under the ice too.
LOL We call that "instant karma."

Al
01-03-2012, 10:00 AM
LOL We call that "instant karma."

What a great term! You know, there are many who feel that nature is obliged to attend to local political agendas, What is nature's response? "Shake hands with Destiny, small creature!"

Al