PDA

View Full Version : Website intermittent availability

andrew
12-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Hello
The website has been only intermittently available for many/all of you for some time. I'm currently working with the good folks at the data centre where this site is hosted and I'm sure they'll have it sorted soon. I know I meant to do this a long time ago but I had a few issues (again) of late.

Will keep you updated (assuming you can log in long enough to read this!!)

A

jola57
12-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Cheers Andrew and thank you.

andrew
12-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Okey dokey. "stuff" has been changed now and it just has to filter through. It'll either completely break the site or it won't. It's very black and white, no grey area at all :)

Rini
12-23-2011, 06:07 PM
thank you! I have been able to get on all day :D

andrew
12-23-2011, 06:09 PM
That's good!! Looks like the issue preventing people from getting to the site has been resolved however it will be monitored over the next 48 hours.

Rose
12-23-2011, 07:16 PM
I have just received e-mail notifications for the first time in over 4 months so something is happening. Thanks!

andrew
12-23-2011, 07:20 PM
WOOO!!! Excellent that means I did sumthin right :)

DEE
12-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks Andrew.Please take care of you DEEx

mishb
12-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Never had any problems getting on.

You are doing an excellent job, but you also must look after number one........everyone on here understands that and we all thank you :thumbsup:

Have a wonderful Christmas break, Andrew, and I hope all will start looking up for you in 2012.

RudiK
12-24-2011, 01:09 AM
To me it appears like an ISP problem. Since our group is relatively small, it is very well possible that the URL is so low in the web/ISP hierarchy that the "search" through the tables is timing out before it reaches our servers in Australia. It may just be one server in the hierarchy that is causing this problem. I'm in the US Mountain Time Zone and on AT&T and I do have problems connecting to the site early in the morning, but I connect just fine later in the day. But, it is not consistent. Today I connected fine at 6:00 AM, but most of the time I have to wait until after 8:00 AM. The email notification is very inconsistent.

Thank you, Andrew, for all your hard work keeping the site functioning as well as it does. I worked for 40+ years in IT and can appreciate the hard work involved with maintaining the site, especially since it is free. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy new year.

Sangye
12-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Thank you so much for wading into the bowels of the website, Fearless Leader! :thumbsup: I haven't had any trouble with connecting, but I'm glad this should fix it for everyone who has.

And, it is just great to see your face and posts. I sure miss you. :hug1:

RudiK
12-24-2011, 02:21 AM
I was connected to the site about an hour ago, and had to try three times to get back in this time.
Again, thank you for your hard work Andrew, I appreciate it and I have no complaint, even if I have to try several times to get in.

Rudi K.

andrew
12-24-2011, 03:27 AM
Rudi, let me know if that is still happening in 24 hours please :)

RudiK
12-24-2011, 05:25 AM
I will, Andrew. But, like I said, it is most likely caused by the ISPs on the way to your servers in the service centers.

Chris G
12-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks for looking into these problems for us Andrew!

If you're looking for feedback....I'm unable to get to the site from my home computer. (I'm currently using my phone).

Dryhill
12-24-2011, 10:33 AM
I have never had any problems getting on the forum.

As mishb says "You are doing an excellent job, but you also must look after number one". I hope you have a great Christmas and do get to have some rest.

Jim

andrew
12-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks for looking into these problems for us Andrew!

If you're looking for feedback....I'm unable to get to the site from my home computer. (I'm currently using my phone).

If you still can't access the site in 24 hours or so, clear the browser's cache/cookies etc then try accessing the site again.

Chris G
12-24-2011, 01:32 PM
If you still can't access the site in 24 hours or so, clear the browser's cache/cookies etc then try accessing the site again.

I'm in from my home computer!! Maybe whatever you did worked! Thanks chief!

vdub
12-24-2011, 04:03 PM
DANG! I'm in! I had almost given up. I think it's been about a week. Thanks, Andrew!

Sangye
12-25-2011, 01:38 AM
I can't say for sure because my computer is totally messed up (constant crashes and page freezes, etc...) but the site seems to load a lot faster now.

Dirty Don
12-25-2011, 03:56 AM
I can't say for sure because my computer is totally messed up (constant crashes and page freezes, etc...) but the site seems to load a lot faster now.

Have you cleaned it up lately...usually works for a while! LOL...good luck!

marta
12-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Andrew, you're the king buddy. Thanks for all that you do, and I'm sorry that you've had things put speed bumps up in your way. I hope that 2012 is the best year for you - ever!!!! I can feel amazing things coming up next year, for all of us. It's a gut feeling.

It's awesome seeing your face pop up on here Andrew. I've been absent but do the occasional 'drive by', and been missing your sense o'humour.

Best of the holidays to all, and here's to an amazing year ahead.

Sangye
12-26-2011, 01:14 AM
Have you cleaned it up lately...usually works for a while! LOL...good luck!
I did two complete system wipes and it's still a mess. Lots of other stuff before and since. I get so many blue screens they don't even faze me anymore. And pages or an entire browser (doesn't matter which one) constantly crash. And I do mean constantly. LOL TweetDeck "has to close" constantly. I might have to bring it to a computer repair to get it fixed. A guy tried to work on it remotely but couldn't find the problem. Meanwhile it's a great practice for contemplating impermanence! :rolleyes1:

Dirty Don
12-26-2011, 04:21 AM
\ I might have to bring it to a computer repair to get it fixed. A guy tried to work on it remotely but couldn't find the problem. Meanwhile it's a great practice for contemplating impermanence! :rolleyes1:

Yeah, if you've wiped and restored, not much to do cept go inside! Sounds a lot like a video card fading on you...blue screen, etc. Who knows...as for impermanence...LOL, something I'd rather not practice, but gotta face it, right! LOL...take care, have a good New Year!

pwc51
12-26-2011, 04:30 AM
One minute I think all is roses and I get in to the site every time and then it suddenly goes away and takes many attempts before anything happens and I can connect! Bizarre!

andrew
12-26-2011, 11:25 PM
In an effort to make everything better, I've upgraded the server we're hosted on. For the technically minded, it has moved from a shared virtual server to a Hybrid with the following stats:
1 Xeon CPU Core
- with burstable CPU capability
3GB Guaranteed Memory
120GB RAID-10 Disk Space
5000GB Premium Transfer
R1Soft CDP Daily Backups
8 Dedicated IP Addresses

From here in Australia I can see the difference in speed straight away. Hopefully it's the same for others.

Dirty Don
12-27-2011, 03:32 AM
Uh, got it...I think!! LOL...it IS much better today, great job and solution! Got on first try today for the first time!Thanks, so many of us depend on getting on here some days...great work! Thank you!

Sangye
12-27-2011, 04:09 AM
Well I guess I'm not crazy-- it IS much faster. I don't know what any of that stuff means Andrew, but I like that it's "burstable." LOL Sounds like a frat party. :laugh:

Dirty Don
12-27-2011, 04:26 AM
but I like that it's "burstable." LOL Sounds like a frat party. :laugh:

Hmmm, are Weggies 'burstable'???? LOL

Sangye
12-27-2011, 04:35 AM
Sure feels like it! Who's got a moon face right now? Push on your cheeks and test our theory, would ya? :ohmy:

RudiK
12-27-2011, 04:42 AM
Good Morning, Andrew: Your changes have helped. I was able to get in at 6:00 AM or so US Mountain Time, was not able to get in at about 8:00 AM, then was again able to get in about 10:15 AM. When I do get in, it is very fast. Good job!

Dirty Don
12-27-2011, 05:13 AM
Sure feels like it! Who's got a moon face right now? Push on your cheeks and test our theory, would ya? :ohmy:

YOU are so bad, I ain't pushing on these cheeks, something might explode!! OMG!

Sangye
12-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Well if you change your mind, please warn the Air Force first. Otherwise they're gonna get a zillion calls about UFOs and stuff.

andrew
12-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Good Morning, Andrew: Your changes have helped. I was able to get in at 6:00 AM or so US Mountain Time, was not able to get in at about 8:00 AM, then was again able to get in about 10:15 AM. When I do get in, it is very fast. Good job!

Ahh excellent :) The server runs heaps faster for me too even from here. I have been mucking about a bit more in the background which may have resulted in the lost connection for you. Should be all good from now though.

Tippon
12-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Now seems to be working fine from the UK. Thanks Andrew :)

Geoff
12-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi Andrew,

First of all if I never am able to log in again, thank you for the past 3 years without which my life would have been so different, for a start I wouldnt have met all these crazy people for a start!! Anyway I am still experiencing problems logging on but as you can see I have been successfull of late, all be it it takes a few goes at getting in.
But I guess if anything is worthwhile its worth perservering with and boy does this site fit the bill!!
We are hoping to travel in 2012 and see rellies in WA and then hopefully onto the land of the long white cloud. Loved Sydney when we passed thru 5 years ago (pre WG) and would love to shake you by the hand and buy you a cold one. We will be in touch!!

andrew
12-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Hey Geoff! Would be good to see you too :) Sorry you're still having troubles logging in. Try clearing the cache and cookies in your browser and give it another go. If you're going to be passing through Sydney I could potentially be there at the same time and buy you the beverage of your choice!

Geoff
12-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Im cracking into a huge smile Andrew! Good luck for 2012 in everything you do my friend.
P.S no offence mate but i will 'treat' you to a proper beer when ever you get to the UK!!

Al
12-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Im cracking into a huge smile Andrew! Good luck for 2012 in everything you do my friend.
P.S no offence mate but i will 'treat' you to a proper beer when ever you get to the UK!!

Boys, boys. Let's not get into a spat over who has the biggest and the coldest beer. But, if you are ever in the Pacific Northwest....

Al

PS, Thanks, Andrew, for dealing with all this. You deserve a lot more than a solitary beverage....

Terri
12-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm glad it wasn't just me!:ohmy:
I just sent Phil a message on face book asking if something was wrong with the forum.
I thought I would give it one more try and.....walla...here I am.
I've missed everyone. It has been so long since I've been to the forum. Now I have alot of catching up to do.
Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and in case you don't hear from me for awhile, I wish the best to everyone (especially health) in 2012!:biggrin1:

annekat
12-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Boys, boys. Let's not get into a spat over who has the biggest and the coldest beer. But, if you are ever in the Pacific Northwest....

Al

PS, Thanks, Andrew, for dealing with all this. You deserve a lot more than a solitary beverage.... Al, he said he hoped to visit "rellies in WA" in 2012! Geoff, I hope you will let us know when and in what part of WA, in case it might be convenient to try to bump into one another, beer or not!

Anne

Al
12-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Al, he said he hoped to visit "rellies in WA" in 2012! Geoff, I hope you will let us know when and in what part of WA, in case it might be convenient to try to bump into one another, beer or not!

Anne

Wasn't sure about the "rellies", or maybe I am, along with the long-suffering cat, just breathing a sigh of relief that my own rellies are actually on the road now, and I have a little time to re-direct my head. In any case, Geoff (the correct spelling of that name, or at least, so claims my daughter, who married one), the point is the same. We all know that "beer", in England, is that flat stuff, and that the NW is the land of the hoppiest micro-brews. Or, if your kidneys are like mine, the land of the real coffee. We can all hop on a bus and take an electric tour before you head off for the other side of the equator. (I couldn't bring myself to say "great divide"....)

Al

annekat
12-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Wasn't sure about the "rellies", or maybe I am, along with the long-suffering cat, just breathing a sigh of relief that my own rellies are actually on the road now, and I have a little time to re-direct my head. In any case, Geoff (the correct spelling of that name, or at least, so claims my daughter, who married one), the point is the same. We all know that "beer", in England, is that flat stuff, and that the NW is the land of the hoppiest micro-brews. Or, if your kidneys are like mine, the land of the real coffee. We can all hop on a bus and take an electric tour before you head off for the other side of the equator. (I couldn't bring myself to say "great divide"....)

Al I guessed on the "rellies". England is not on the other side of the equator!? But I forget the name of what it is on the other side of. A longitudinal meridian of some sort? Heck, it's been at least 40 years since I studied that stuff in school. Yep, the west coast has good microbrews. And good coffee.

Anne

mishb
12-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Anne and Al, you are too funny.

I'm Pretty sure though that Geoff was talking about our WA as in Western Australia..........and we have the best brew (beer that is)

- actually I personally can't stand either, beer or coffee. You can have 'em both

Al
12-28-2011, 05:45 PM
...I'm Pretty sure though that Geoff was talking about our WA as in Western Australia..........and we have the best brew (beer that is)
- actually I personally can't stand either, beer or coffee. You can have 'em both

Yeah, we know, Michelle. Still, sometimes it becomes necessary (at least to us) to be territorially assertive, particularly out in the frontier provinces. In that, of course we go a little crazy sometimes. You might say, we are full of hops, or full of beans. You may dislike them, but in these parts, as, surely, the other WA, it would be hard to live without them.

Al

annekat
12-29-2011, 03:02 AM
Silly me. I should have known that a Brit wouldn't be using the postal abbreviation for Washington state. But yes, Al and I are proud of our beautiful "frontier province" with its excellent taste in brews, coffee, and people, among other things. I'm sure that Western Australia is a wonderful place, too, and Geoff's relatives must have good reasons to live there.

Anne

delorisdoe
12-29-2011, 03:12 AM
I thought you had states...first you want our health care, then our provinces ? Next thing you know you are gonna want to keep celine dion. You can have celine dion. NO REALLY, TAKE HER PLEASe!!!!

annekat
12-29-2011, 03:31 AM
I thought you had states...first you want our health care, then our provinces ? Next thing you know you are gonna want to keep celine dion. You can have celine dion. NO REALLY, TAKE HER PLEASe!!!! Yes, we have states. Al used the word province, which is why I put it in quotes. You may keep Celine Dion, though I somehow thought she was Canadian. I don't know where she is now.... and don't really care....

Anne

delorisdoe
12-29-2011, 03:42 AM
Well this is one I win for sure as she is already in vegas with no plans to return so we cant keep her. I was not really asking if you had states as they at least teach us that much in school...i was just being silly

annekat
12-29-2011, 04:18 AM
Well this is one I win for sure as she is already in vegas with no plans to return so we cant keep her. I was not really asking if you had states as they at least teach us that much in school...i was just being silly Oh, sorry, I thought you were one of the ones from Australia.... not paying attention. Well, to me, Vegas is like a separate country, completely foreign to me, so she can stay there and it won't bother me. Yes, I knew you knew we had states, I was just being silly by saying we have them.

Anne

delorisdoe
12-29-2011, 04:21 AM
fantastik
:w00t::w00t:

Al
12-29-2011, 05:38 AM
I thought you had states...first you want our health care, then our provinces ? Next thing you know you are gonna want to keep celine dion. You can have celine dion. NO REALLY, TAKE HER PLEASe!!!! Leigh, it pays to notice capitalization. I did say provinces, not Provinces. We in the US have our states, and I am certain that you Canadians do too, the term being synonymous with "episodes".

Al

delorisdoe
12-29-2011, 05:48 AM
Leigh, it pays to notice capitalization. I did say provinces, not Provinces. We in the US have our states, and I am certain that you Canadians do too, the term being synonymous with "episodes".

Al

I supose if i were not trying to be silly then the capitalization would be of some importance to me but I was trying to make a joke...a celine dion joke at that. geesh. serious replies only I guess

Al
12-29-2011, 06:05 AM
I supose if i were not trying to be silly then the capitalization would be of some importance to me but I was trying to make a joke...a celine dion joke at that. geesh. serious replies only I guess Leigh, I am utterly serious with my jokes, and with my joking around with you. It only works to josh around with one's buds, don't you know. As for Celine Dion, I ignored her on purpose. (I wonder why the rest of the world doesn't?)

Al

delorisdoe
12-29-2011, 06:18 AM
well as a canadian i can tell you it is because we are embarassed.

delorisdoe
12-29-2011, 06:22 AM
Plus, you americans pay to see her. I have seen it in vegas with my own eyes. Yall line up and cant wait to see her. Canadians hope to get in to see Barry Manillow or cher. lol

annekat
12-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Plus, you americans pay to see her. I have seen it in vegas with my own eyes. Yall line up and cant wait to see her. Canadians hope to get in to see Barry Manillow or cher. lol Well, we don't ALL pay to see her, or Manilow or Cher. You have k.d. lang, though, and I'd pay to see her! And I can think of several other Canadians I'd pay to see, though I don't know for sure where they are living now.

Anne

pberggren1
12-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Well, we don't ALL pay to see her, or Manilow or Cher. You have k.d. lang, though, and I'd pay to see her! And I can think of several other Canadians I'd pay to see, though I don't know for sure where they are living now.

Anne

I'm Canadian and don't charge admission.

Geoff
12-30-2011, 03:25 AM
We all know that "beer", in England, is that flat stuff, and that the NW is the land of the hoppiest micro-brews.

Strange because I live in England and I didnt know that our 'Beer' was 'that flat stuff'!! - first of all if ever you were served a pint in our local Pub that was flat you would send it back (actually the landlord wouldnt let it go beyond the bar in the first place) We dont have to rely on artificial fizz to put a sparkle in our pint glasses thank you!!.. I know exactly how particular people can get about their 'own' beer when we tried to take over 4 cans of my brothers favourite beer to Perth in West Australia where he had emigrated. The customs officer got real nasty when we answered his question 'whats this' when pointing to the tinnies, with the comment, 'thats some real beer from the UK'. Funny how even now after so many years the snap of a rubber glove still gives me the shivers......

So hopefully in 2012 we revisit Perth and then hopefully 'bump into' Andrew on the East Coast before visiting more rellies in New Zealand.

As for the pacific west coast, that is definetly on the agenda and I will give all those folks out there a timely reminder when so you can alert the micro breweries!

Lightwarrior
12-30-2011, 04:44 AM
I'm Canadian and don't charge admission.

Batman, you could get rich...you should charge admission (LOL)

annekat
12-30-2011, 05:24 AM
Batman, you could get rich...you should charge admission (LOL) Yes, rides in the Batmobile with you as the driver would be quite in demand.

Anne

annekat
12-30-2011, 05:30 AM
So hopefully in 2012 we revisit Perth and then hopefully 'bump into' Andrew on the East Coast before visiting more rellies in New Zealand.

As for the pacific west coast, that is definetly on the agenda and I will give all those folks out there a timely reminder when so you can alert the micro breweries! Well, it sounds like we are up against some formidable competition, beer-wise, but do let us know, and we can make some recommendations! (And I like the terms "rellies" and "tinnies"!)

Anne

delorisdoe
12-30-2011, 06:27 AM
i dont like superheros

delorisdoe
12-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Well, we don't ALL pay to see her, or Manilow or Cher. You have k.d. lang, though, and I'd pay to see her! And I can think of several other Canadians I'd pay to see, though I don't know for sure where they are living now.

Anne

I love barry manilow.

Al
12-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Strange because I live in England and I didnt know that our 'Beer' was 'that flat stuff'!!....As for the pacific west coast, that is definetly on the agenda and I will give all those folks out there a timely reminder when so you can alert the micro breweries!

Aw, Geoff, just a gentle dig at the preference you Limeys seem to have for room-temperature beer. We colonials are well-known for lawn-mowing beer and the attendant level of refrigeration. This extends into the craft beer market to some degree (as it were). Truth told, I don't like to mow the lawn, and I prefer the English pub system to the American bar or tavern any day. Nice story about getting busted by customs, but when you make your world tour, I'm thinking that you won't have to carry your own!

Al

pberggren1
12-30-2011, 01:52 PM
i dont like superheros

I'm not a hero. I'm just super.

Tippon
01-03-2012, 12:30 PM
The problems seem to be back. I haven't been able to get onto the site for the last four or five days :(

pberggren1
01-03-2012, 06:27 PM
send Andy an e-mail.

andrew
02-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Massive ****-up when we moved hosts a couple of months ago just came to light. Seems to be resolved now. People should be able to access the site ok within the next 24 hours.

andrew
02-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Didn't even think **** was a bad word when used in context :-p

vdub
02-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Didn't even think **** was a bad word when used in context :-p
Pretty sure it's not a bad word, but you do have to use it properly. Fortunately, it can be used either as a noun, adjective, adverb, or verb. Proper use is very versatile. :-)

pberggren1
02-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks again Boss man.

jola57
02-29-2012, 06:55 PM
H ha ha Andrew, this and other choie words were in all of our minds whe we couldn't connect, good to see you back mate :thumbsup:

Geoff
02-29-2012, 08:04 PM
HI Andrew,

logging on was becoming very hit and miss but seems fine now. Def get that beer chilled down sport as we will be heading south at the end of the year, if only to celebrate with my Mum in West Australia who became a great grandmother today!! And to cement the 'Aussi' theme, my son and his wife christened their baby girl Mathilda.

No her second name is not waltzing!! :thumbsup:

Just realising that I am a GP for the very first time or 'Grumps' as I seem to be nicknamed (I can blame it on the pred tho)

andrew
02-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey Geoff. VERY glad to see that you can access the site now. Thanks also to Phil for kicking me into action and prompting me to look a bit deeper into the problem. WA will welcome you I'm sure and congrats on becoming a 'Grumps' :)

Tippon
03-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Massive ****-up when we moved hosts a couple of months ago just came to light. Seems to be resolved now. People should be able to access the site ok within the next 24 hours.

Hey Andrew, thanks for sorting it :)

If it helps, I got the email about your message on 28.02.2012 at 10.12 AM and have been able to log in for the first time since at 00.44 AM on 01.03.2012.

Glad to be able to get back on the site :thumbup:

Tippon
04-07-2012, 01:54 AM
Evening all! Don't know what's been going on, but I've barely been able to access the site since my last post in this thread.

I got on once and had a quick read through a few threads, but then couldn't get on again the next day. Once I'm logged in, it seems to be fine, until I stop browsing the site. I keep the window open to try and stay logged in, but it doesn't seem to be working :(

I'll try and add my email address to my profile, in case I can't get back on again, but you can get hold of me through the website in my sig if you want me to try any troubleshooting :)

vdub
04-07-2012, 03:18 AM
Same here...

Logging on has really been hit and miss. I feel like Pavlov's dog only I'm not getting any reward for the proper behavior, so I stop doing the action.

I hardly ever log on anymore unless I get an announcement in my e-mail.

I have tried all sorts of things to try and detect a pattern of failure or reason for not being able to connect, but haven't come up with anything.

Tippon
04-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Strangely enough, I clicked the link in the notification email, and got straight in with no problems...

Geoff
04-07-2012, 06:14 AM
Feel like a nuisance in reporting bad news but it seems like weeks have passed since I have been able to log on. I have tried to clear cookies and browsing history but with no joy and then quite bizarrly I click on my bookmark and low and behold I am in!! How are you all doing??

OK one at a time please!!

Al
04-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Feel like a nuisance in reporting bad news but it seems like weeks have passed since I have been able to log on. I have tried to clear cookies and browsing history but with no joy and then quite bizarrly I click on my bookmark and low and behold I am in!! How are you all doing??

OK one at a time please!!Glad to see you are back with us, Grumps! As for how we are doing, there are a number of, shall we say, "interesting" threads about. Take your time....

Al

Tippon
04-07-2012, 09:30 PM
As for how we are doing, there are a number of, shall we say, "interesting" threads about.

Sounds ominous... :ohmy:

On the bright side, I was able to get straight into the forum again today when I clicked on the link in the email:thumbsup: