PDA

View Full Version : Depressed, need advise

Psyborg
12-18-2011, 09:22 AM
My dear family doctor who's been my physician for close to 20 years passed away unexpectedly last week. She was only 49 years old :(

So now on top of that bad news I have to figure out where to go for a new doctor. Anyone have advise for finding a good family doctor? I just don't want to go through a parade of bad doctors trying to find one :(

Al
12-18-2011, 10:16 AM
My dear family doctor who's been my physician for close to 20 years passed away unexpectedly last week. She was only 49 years old :(

So now on top of that bad news I have to figure out where to go for a new doctor. Anyone have advise for finding a good family doctor? I just don't want to go through a parade of bad doctors trying to find one :(

This is a tough one, Bob. All flesh is grass. We know this is true, even for doctors. We had a friend who was a lipids expert at the University here, my age, who was very alive. He saw a patient one morning last year (this was soon after my own diagnosis, and felt feverish. A colleague convinced him to quit for the day. He quit forever. The report was that he had an undiagnosed case of hairy cell leukemia (which is usually not fatal in itself), complicated by Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis, apparently driven by an unknown autoimmune reaction. But he is gone, regardless. His life doesn't go on now...but our's does. This doesn't make it easier, but, as we grieve, and honor those who are no longer with us, we also have a responsibility for the still living, and those not yet alive.

Finding a new doctor is often a matter of referral; word of mouth based on personal familiarity helps. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to help there. So what can we tell you? A good and knowledgeable internist is a great one to be on your team. But I think that, given your situation, someone with a lot more experience in treating autoimmune diseases--GPA, in particular--is something you need to consider. If I were you, I would present myself to the Cleveland Clinic and give them the whole story.

Al

Rini
12-18-2011, 01:29 PM
I second the Cleveland Clinic, I also stumbled on this a few days ago... Wegener's Granulomatosis Support Group (http://www.mdjunction.com/wegeners-granulomatosis)

pberggren1
12-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Neat. Thanks Rini.

NicShaf
12-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, Bob. Best of luck finding a new doctor.

chrisTIn@
12-19-2011, 05:49 AM
My condolences, Bob. Twenty years is quite a long time...
Hope you'll succeed in finding a good new family doctor soon.

maria garcia
12-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Im so sorry. You can always check under google "rate my docter". It will give you doctors in your area. But I agree with Al, word of mouth referral is always better. Maybe you can ask one of your other doctors like your rheumy. And Im so sorry for your lost.

Psyborg
12-20-2011, 01:28 AM
I'll have to start looking at some point today. I'll peek around at some rating systems.

Sangye
12-20-2011, 04:01 AM
Oh man, Bob that is so sad.

I agree with the others that word of mouth is best. I found a great local PCP that way. Earlier this year I switched to a PCP at JHU so I could have all my docs under one roof. My local doc couldn't get labs and reports without requesting them, and she never knew when I was hospitalized. My JHU docs can just click on the computer from the treatment room and get all my info, including doctors' notes. I know you get treated at CC, but I forget how far it is from you. JHU is 1.5 hrs away. For me it's worth the drive for a great PCP and all the other stuff.

Psyborg
12-20-2011, 11:01 AM
I think I found a good Doctor. He had pretty good ratings and my sister worked with him before and said he was really nice.

Al
12-20-2011, 12:24 PM
I think I found a good Doctor. He had pretty good ratings and my sister worked with him before and said he was really nice.

Great, Bob. Make sure he knows all about your situation--in heavy detail. And "nice" is good; nice and competent is far better. Best of all, to my way of thinking, is a doc who is nice, competent, and one who will really work with you, to be your councilor, mentor, and traveling companion.

Al

pberggren1
12-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Great, Bob. Make sure he knows all about your situation--in heavy detail. And "nice" is good; nice and competent is far better. Best of all, to my way of thinking, is a doc who is nice, competent, and one who will really work with you, to be your councilor, mentor, and traveling companion.

Al

Travelling companion?

Psyborg
12-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Geez...just noticed I spelled advice wrong :)

It will be seen how good he is when I see him. At this point unless a doctor is willing to listen to me I'm not seeing them. That's what was great about my doctor, she always listened and knew she didn't have all the answers.

Al
12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Travelling companion?

...As we, that is, journey on this strange road with unpredictable curves, washouts, detours, and other hazards....

Al

Al
12-20-2011, 12:35 PM
I think, Bob, the line I would like to hear from a doctor is, "I don't have all the answers...yet".

Al

Sangye
12-21-2011, 02:18 AM
Bob, that's great. I hope it works out for you.

Al, I would never tell a patient I don't have all the answers yet. No doctor can solve every problem or even lead a patient to the solution elsewhere, no matter how inquisitive and hard-working s/he might be.

Al
12-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Bob, that's great. I hope it works out for you.

Al, I would never tell a patient I don't have all the answers yet. No doctor can solve every problem or even lead a patient to the solution elsewhere, no matter how inquisitive and hard-working s/he might be.

Sorry Sangye, my response was a bit flip. The point it, precisely as you imply, to be hard-working and inquisitive--not all-knowing, now or ever. Again, "knowledge" can never be "complete". Having said that, I, personally, would still like to hear that line from my doctor, said with a playful grin indicating the absurdity of actually finding out all there is to know.

Al

Sangye
12-21-2011, 02:08 PM
LOL Yeah, that would be great. Thanks for clarifying, Al :smile1:

HeatherR
12-22-2011, 08:43 AM
My GP thanked me for putting him on a new learning curve. He sees
me any time I need to see him so I'm thankful that I rarely have to
wait. Currently I am doing a 10 week break from the clinic.

Al
12-22-2011, 12:32 PM
My GP thanked me for putting him on a new learning curve. He sees
me any time I need to see him so I'm thankful that I rarely have to
wait. Currently I am doing a 10 week break from the clinic.

That is interesting, Heather. That is an often overlooked important positive that weggies give to the world: a more educated class of doctors. (You're welcome, guys.)

Rini
12-22-2011, 12:56 PM
I have learned that most doctors ether will not take my case or get this "o snap" face when they realize just how strange a trip they have signed up for. Often doctors assume I know nothing of what is going on, i am a sever alcoholic and I am apparently pregnant and do not want to tell anyone. I don't wast time arguing anymore, just demand the list of tests. this is often followed by the doctor finally deciding to actually look at me, I usually decide they have gotten to the same page as me when they say "interesting" and make the " o snap" face.

Al
12-22-2011, 03:45 PM
I have learned that most doctors ether will not take my case or get this "o snap" face when they realize just how strange a trip they have signed up for. Often doctors assume I know nothing of what is going on, i am a sever alcoholic and I am apparently pregnant and do not want to tell anyone. I don't wast time arguing anymore, just demand the list of tests. this is often followed by the doctor finally deciding to actually look at me, I usually decide they have gotten to the same page as me when they say "interesting" and make the " o snap" face.

You may be young, Rini, and this should not be happening to you. Yet your observations are very wise. And I am proud of you, that you are the third person this evening who is doing something to educate the doctors!

Al

drz
12-23-2011, 09:17 AM

Congrats on finding a new doctor. A great Christmas present, right!

Rini
12-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Congratulations, I am so glad you found someone who will be your doctor & you can feel comfortable with!