PDA

View Full Version : Definitive answer regarding painkillers

freakyschizogirl
12-16-2011, 06:14 AM
I remember when i started my medications being told NOT to take ibuprofen as it interacts with one of the medications - but i cant remember if it interacts with Pred or MTX....

Any ideas??

NicShaf
12-16-2011, 06:34 AM
I just read that Pred interacts with Asprin...I remember being told this also, and I've never been on MTX, so I think it's Pred. You might want to pull up your Pred paperwork and see if its listed there.

Al
12-16-2011, 06:54 AM
I just read that Pred interacts with Asprin...I remember being told this also, and I've never been on MTX, so I think it's Pred. You might want to pull up your Pred paperwork and see if its listed there.
The only pain med I'm allowed to take is Tylenol, and I don't trust that. Pred tends to thing the blood, as does aspirin. The combo is not so good, and ibuprofen has its own problems....

Al

marta
12-16-2011, 07:33 AM
I know for certain it doesn't jive with CTX, and when I finished that wretched drug I thought I was OK to take ibuprofiin but it also doesn't jive with pred, so no go.
To translate from Marta-nese to English - prednisone and cytoxin both have contradictions with ibuprofin.

freakyschizogirl
12-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Bummers. I'll stick to paracetamol then since i've not been told to stay away from that. Its funny the differing information i've been told and what my mum's been told (who has RA and smiliar drugs to me) She was told she could take ibuprofen with MTX but i'm sure i was told i couldnt?

My memory is pretty schetchy at the best of times but i DEFINITELY remember being told this....

KathyB
12-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Because of my kidney involvement, I was told no Ibuprofen and only Tylenol. Had to do with how the kidneys processed certain pain relievers.

KB

Al
12-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Because of my kidney involvement, I was told no Ibuprofen and only Tylenol. Had to do with how the kidneys processed certain pain relievers.
KB

All NSAIDs are off limits to kidney folks....

Al

Psyborg
12-16-2011, 09:43 AM
MTX and Tylenol are probably not great together as they both are hard on the liver.

pberggren1
12-16-2011, 12:29 PM
All Weggies should avoid ibuprofen. And no one should try my alcohol and drug cocktails either.......lol.

Trudy
12-16-2011, 02:34 PM
All NSAIDs are off limits to kidney folks....

Al

Do you use anything for pain? I was taking Tramadol which alters how you perceive pain, but it started causing leg cramps which stopped as soon as I discontinued use. Now I am thinking there is nothing left to try that is somewhat kidney friendly. Any ideas of what to ask for?

Dirty Don
12-16-2011, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=freakyschizogirl;51782] She was told she could take ibuprofen with MTX but i'm sure i was told i couldnt?QUOTE]

I was told same, NO Ib...take Tylenol & acetaminphen, if I must...

freakyschizogirl
12-16-2011, 11:51 PM
i miss Advil which i took while in America - that stuff was fantastic!

delorisdoe
12-17-2011, 12:57 AM
All Weggies should avoid ibuprofen. And no one should try my alcohol and drug cocktails either.......lol.

Why? Is it because of drug interactions. I was given a prescription for nsaids yesterday. It is all I am on besides something to protect my stomach and septra.

annekat
12-17-2011, 03:33 AM
i miss Advil which i took while in America - that stuff was fantastic!Advil IS ibuprofen.

HopeinTN
12-17-2011, 04:22 AM
Speaking of alcohol, I was told no alcohol. No fun watching football without beer. Is it just to keep my liver in good shape or med interaction?

Dirty Don
12-17-2011, 05:20 AM
Speaking of alcohol, I was told no alcohol. Is it just to keep my liver in good shape or med interaction?

Both I would think...alcohol interacts with nothing good as far as I know!! LOL...don't say it AL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pberggren1
12-17-2011, 05:27 AM
Why? Is it because of drug interactions. I was given a prescription for nsaids yesterday. It is all I am on besides something to protect my stomach and septra.

I think it is mostly because it can be hard on kidneys and stomach. And most Weggies already have kidney and stomach issues. And don't take NSAIDs. Not a good idea.

delorisdoe
12-17-2011, 05:58 AM
well that is what my prescription is for. I have not yet had kidney issues.

Al
12-17-2011, 06:33 AM
well that is what my prescription is for. I have not yet had kidney issues.

No kidney issues is why they are not so strict with you, Leigh. Just out of pharmacological curiosity, what kind of NASAIDs are you taking?

Al

delorisdoe
12-17-2011, 07:22 AM
meloxicam. I did read about the kidney problems in the pamphlet...I thought phil was suggesting that irregardless of kidney issues weggies should not take nsaids.

Dryhill
12-17-2011, 11:55 AM
I have just got the instructions out of a new box of Methotrexate and in bold print it states the following:-

NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) e.g. ibuprofen, indomethacin or asprin (for relief of pain or inflammation) including any preparations of these bought without a prescription.Taking theses products together withMethotrxate Tablets can increase its toxic effects.

So if you are on Methotrexate then it is a no no to take asprin or ibuprofen. I just noticed that I must not get pregnant or breast feed ........ damn!

Jim

pberggren1
12-17-2011, 01:13 PM
meloxicam. I did read about the kidney problems in the pamphlet...I thought phil was suggesting that irregardless of kidney issues weggies should not take nsaids.

That is exactly what I am suggesting. Don't take them unless you really have to.

Al
12-17-2011, 01:39 PM
I have just got the instructions out of a new box of Methotrexate and in bold print it states the following:-

NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) e.g. ibuprofen, indomethacin or asprin (for relief of pain or inflammation) including any preparations of these bought without a prescription.Taking theses products together withMethotrxate Tablets can increase its toxic effects.

So if you are on Methotrexate then it is a no no to take asprin or ibuprofen. I just noticed that I must not get pregnant or breast feed ........ damn!

Jim

Well, Jim, be sure, as a confirmed weggie, to practice safe sicks then.

Again, anyone on MTX needs to get a liver panel periodically.

Al

vdub
12-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Doc told me no NSAIDS while on MTX. I had blood tests every two weeks which included the standard liver stuff. I was on MTX for 17 months and continued to drink beer the entire time with no apparent negative affect. My liver is very healthy.
Excuse me for a moment <pregnant pause> I had to go get a beer..... pop, fizz, ahhhhh.....

I am feeling better now than I have in 4 years. I do have some aches and pains, but it's probably from old age. I am on a regimen of Tramadol and it keeps me pretty happy.

American College of Rheumatology (http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/acrmeeting/abstract.asp?MeetingID=761&id=81248) <--- study on mtx and alcohol

Rini
12-17-2011, 09:29 PM
I wondered about all of these things. I know mixing things is bad but i was wondering about migraine stuff

freakyschizogirl
12-17-2011, 11:01 PM
I think i drink more alcohol now than i did before diagnosis but thats only because being diagnosed coincided with me starting a new job which meant i had the same days off as my best mate so we happen to combine our days off with some alcohol and i still have no liver involvement.:thumbsup:

marta
12-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Do you use anything for pain? I was taking Tramadol which alters how you perceive pain, but it started causing leg cramps which stopped as soon as I discontinued use. Now I am thinking there is nothing left to try that is somewhat kidney friendly. Any ideas of what to ask for?

I have liver involvment with my WG so they didn't want me to take Tylenol as well - it's hard on the liver - so I had codeine (sp?) for pain but eventually, when I was in the thick of things, it's positive effects slowly diminshed to nothingness, so I went to morphine. I have a prescription for that and it's the only thing I use. I know it's addictive, but I have had the same bottle of 30 pills for a half a year now. I just have it and take it when I really need pain killers. I think my threshold has been bumped up in the last year and a half, and it takes a lot more for me to reach for the painkillers than before diagnosis. But it's like insurance, I know I have it in case I need it and inevitably I don't need it.

Al
12-18-2011, 07:46 AM
I have liver involvment with my WG so they didn't want me to take Tylenol as well - it's hard on the liver - so I had codeine (sp?) for pain but eventually, when I was in the thick of things, it's positive effects slowly diminshed to nothingness, so I went to morphine. I have a prescription for that and it's the only thing I use. I know it's addictive, but I have had the same bottle of 30 pills for a half a year now. I just have it and take it when I really need pain killers. I think my threshold has been bumped up in the last year and a half, and it takes a lot more for me to reach for the painkillers than before diagnosis. But it's like insurance, I know I have it in case I need it and inevitably I don't need it.

Interesting to note that, at least in hospital situations, patients that self-administer narcotic pain meds use less than if doctor-prescribed....

Al