PDA

View Full Version : Allergic reaction to Amlopidine

KathyB
12-16-2011, 01:22 AM
Was wondering if anyone has had an allergic reaction to Amlopidine (BP med). I had asked earlier about "the rash," but it appears to be under the skin rather than the bumpy hives. My awesome rheumy fit me in late yesterday afternoon to check me out. He believes it's an allergic reaction to the new med (considering itch, too). So now I'm taking Benadryl to reduce the inflammation and no more Amlopidine while he and my nephrologist review my bloodwork for any other possible causes. Interesting!

Al
12-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Was wondering if anyone has had an allergic reaction to Amlopidine (BP med). I had asked earlier about "the rash," but it appears to be under the skin rather than the bumpy hives. My awesome rheumy fit me in late yesterday afternoon to check me out. He believes it's an allergic reaction to the new med (considering itch, too). So now I'm taking Benadryl to reduce the inflammation and no more Amlopidine while he and my nephrologist review my bloodwork for any other possible causes. Interesting!

I've had no problems with Amlodipine, Kathy. But there is always something, for everyone, that will stir up the allergic reactions. I'd be curious if the amlodipine is the offender in your case. There are alternative BP meds, though this one is considered usually easy to take.

Al

KathyB
12-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Well my rheumy called this a.m. after reviewing my blood work from last night. Creatinine is up to 1.8 (was 1.7 and holding steady for past month) and some liver enzyme tests were up (AST, ALT, Alk phos) yet the bilirubin and albumin were in normal range. So I'm continuing with Benadryl and will repeat blood work on Monday to see if there's any change before leaving for vacation.

Al
12-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Well my rheumy called this a.m. after reviewing my blood work from last night. Creatinine is up to 1.8 (was 1.7 and holding steady for past month) and some liver enzyme tests were up (AST, ALT, Alk phos) yet the bilirubin and albumin were in normal range. So I'm continuing with Benadryl and will repeat blood work on Monday to see if there's any change before leaving for vacation.Keep a wary eye on the creeping creatinine, Kathy.

Al

KathyB
12-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Agree! My left kidney is virtually useless (polycystic) although still functioning and my right kidney has about 50% viability determined at my initial WG diagnosis. The creatinine was as high as 4.7 with acute renal failure as the first hospital's diagnosis before I ended up in Richmond. No dialysis needed as yet. So we watch it carefully -- and it had finally tapered off to 1.7. So the hope was if it wasn't going down any more, it would stabilize.

KB

KathyB
12-21-2011, 01:15 AM
Things have changed quickly over the last few days. Had additional bloodwork done yesterday and sure enough my creatinine is up to 2.35 and the liver enzyme tests have also shown inappropriate elevation. Today I'm back to see the infectious disease doc who has been treating me for the fungal pneumonia. The Amlopidine doesn't appear to be the culprit of rash & itch at all -- probably the Voriconazole (which makes more sense with all the reading I've done). Benadryl hasn't helped. I'm hoping and praying to still be able to travel to FL to spend the holidays with my sons and family. I'm so grateful my body is "talking" to me by giving me signs of problems. Keeping the faith for a positive plan of action...

Sangye
12-21-2011, 03:22 AM
I hope they can figure it out for you, Kathy. Fungal meds are some of the harshest. How do your lungs feel?

Al
12-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Things have changed quickly over the last few days. Had additional bloodwork done yesterday and sure enough my creatinine is up to 2.35 and the liver enzyme tests have also shown inappropriate elevation. Today I'm back to see the infectious disease doc who has been treating me for the fungal pneumonia. The Amlopidine doesn't appear to be the culprit of rash & itch at all -- probably the Voriconazole (which makes more sense with all the reading I've done). Benadryl hasn't helped. I'm hoping and praying to still be able to travel to FL to spend the holidays with my sons and family. I'm so grateful my body is "talking" to me by giving me signs of problems. Keeping the faith for a positive plan of action...

Kathy, the creatinine rise is concerning, and could be the sign of active active inflammation. Are they giving you other inflammation tests, like CRP or sed rate?

Al

pberggren1
12-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Ya, Vfend is nasty. I was on it for over 2 months.

drz
12-23-2011, 10:29 AM
I think it amazing and very impressive the amount of medical knowledge people display here on this forum. I was also wondering what happens to the ordinary "Joe" who doesn't have this level of skill and expertise since most doctors don't have the level of knowledge seen here on this forum. The good ones seem to listen or at least consider our input into our treatment. I also wonder if many of the members here know how fortunate they are to have the skills needed to deal with having this GPA illness after they had the misfortune of having to learn all about it.

Lightwarrior
12-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I think it amazing and very impressive the amount of medical knowledge people display here on this forum. I was also wondering what happens to the ordinary "Joe" who doesn't have this level of skill and expertise since most doctors don't have the level of knowledge seen here on this forum. The good ones seem to listen or at least consider our input into our treatment. I also wonder if many of the members here know how fortunate they are to have the skills needed to deal with having this GPA illness after they had the misfortune of having to learn all about it.

My point of view is that we have the good fortune to have the skills to have found this forum.(LOL)

Widthofacircle
12-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Hi Drz
The information and supportbon this forum is genuine and invaluable
Brendan

Al
12-28-2011, 11:55 AM
My point of view is that we have the good fortune to have the skills to have found this forum.(LOL)

Thing is, we need a whole bunch of diverse skills to deal with this disease. None of us have all those skills, and those competencies we do have often get blown away by the very fact of our being sick. It takes a community, I think, to bring all the necessary skills together. We are that community.

Al