PDA

View Full Version : Rash & itching

KathyB
12-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Good morning -- Can anyone talk to me about "the rash"? My usual reaction to showering and washing is bright red skin (face, chest, upper arms) which is blotchy in spots but seems to be aggravated just under the skin. During my initial hospital stay and diagnosis, I had facial bumps along with red but they subsided. During pneumonia 5 weeks ago, I had lots of blood vessel "pop outs" (not raised) on my lower legs, upper arms, and chest. The last two days I've been itchy with no real relief from body creams. And my abdomen is now blotchy. Your thoughts are appreciated!

KB

Chris G
12-13-2011, 04:02 AM
If it's a rash with itching, it sounds like it could be an allergic reaction to meds. Did you recently start something new?

KathyB
12-13-2011, 05:50 AM
Yes -- BP med (Amlodipine) on Dec. 5. I'm allergic to sulfa drugs and will check to see if it's in the sulfa family or a side effect of the drug. Thx! I looked on-line at some pictures of the WG rash and it doesn't match up.

KB

Rose
12-13-2011, 06:33 AM
I was told by my Rheumatologist that if a rash is itchy, it is not caused by vasculitis. In that case, it was true as it went away after a few days. I had at one point a rash all over my trunk and legs and was seen by a dermatologist who took a biopsy. Again, it was itchy and the biopsy stated that it was not vascular but a reaction to drugs. At this time I was in hospital with drug induced hepatitis and once all the drugs were stopped that they thought might be causing the hepatitis, the rash cleared up....as did the hepatitis.

Psyborg
12-13-2011, 10:58 AM
My last flareup the major thing was a rash. The weird thing is in addition to what looked like a vasculitis rash I got horrid hives all up my arms (which I might add did itch like crazy :p). Maybe I'm allergic to Wegeners!!!!

Dirty Don
12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Maybe I'm allergic to Wegeners!!!!

I have NO idea what the treatment for THAT would be!!! OMG!

KathyB
12-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Definitely allergic to Wegener's!! LOL! I'll keep an eye on it for another day and see what happens! Thanks for all your thoughts!

KB

KathyB
12-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Here we go! Yes, drug-induced hepititis is now the diagnosis. Stopped the Voriconazole a few days ago, went to infectious disease doc Wednesday a.m. And by mid-afternoon on my way the gut-wrenching pain began (around my rib cage). After a quick phone consult with same doc, I was off to the local ER. They tested for heart issues first, then finding none went on to the liver and possible gall stones. Liver enzymes were twice as bad as results just the day earlier. Received some morphine and hydration and was home by 2:30 a.m. only to have to cancel our vacation in FL. Total bummer - first time missing Christmas with my family there in 20+ years. While the itching hasn't subsided, the stomach pain is improving. Glad it's not the WG anyway. I am so grateful my body is "talking" to me. Could have averted a disaster! This sure continues to be a learning experience! Adjusting to the change of plans. My husband and I just want the time together, so I'm sure we will figure out new and different ways to celebrate the real reason for the season! KB

Sangye
12-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Yikes, I hope they get that under control quickly and that you have a pain and itch-free Christmas.

jola57
12-23-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm so glad they recognized it so quickly and you are on your way to, like Sangye said, itch free Christmas.

Al
12-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Since we can't do this literally, Kathy, please accept our virtual visit, singing carols...egg nog...good cheer, and all the rest! Will they let you roast chestnuts in the hospital...?

Al

KathyB
12-24-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm home and enjoying the quiet rest. Keeping in touch with my sons and family on FB, text, phone and pictures. I remember thinking last year when we were at church together that my father probably wouldn't be cognizant enough to celebrate Christmas this year. He has Alzheimer's but is still aware enough to prove me wrong. That's a blessing we can all appreciate!

Al
12-24-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm home and enjoying the quiet rest. Keeping in touch with my sons and family on FB, text, phone and pictures. I remember thinking last year when we were at church together that my father probably wouldn't be cognizant enough to celebrate Christmas this year. He has Alzheimer's but is still aware enough to prove me wrong. That's a blessing we can all appreciate!

Ye, Kathy, it really is amazing the blessings we have when we pause to count 'em up. Thanks for reminding us!

Al

Jaha
12-30-2011, 01:49 AM
KathyB,

I too have a weird looking blotching just under my skin. It's on my arms,legs,stomach and sometimes my face. My rheum says that it is part of the WG's and that it is the blood vessels inflaming. I guess I just have to grin and bear having a red face all the time until treatment kicks in. The itching maybe from the meds.
Jana

KathyB
01-04-2012, 02:18 AM
Hi Jana,

My blotching started early in diagnosis in the same places you mentioned. They actually took on a look of bright red "dots" in some areas. The doctor indeed attributed it to the vasculitis and sensitivity to heat (e.g., water in shower, etc). I used the term "little popping blood vessels" close to the skin's surface. They kept a close eye on whether the dots were raised above my skin. Mine were not although I still have the dots popping up during stress (like pneumonia, hepatitis outbreaks). I surmised the raised dots were a more serious complication. I didn't explore because it didn't happen to me.

KB