PDA

View Full Version : Wegener's faux pas & dumb mistakes!

Dirty Don
12-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Just thought I'd throw this thread out there, you can throw it back if you like! Recently, I have not been feeling well, as well as I thought I should at this point anyway. So, on way to doc's the other day, wife has some questions about meds, as we're perusing the med totals, we realize that we have transposed some numbers in terms of dosaging. I have been taking about 1/5 of the recommended dose of pred!! LOL...wife was very upset, I was happy...I am surviving on less than they think I should be taking! Of course, I was not feeling very well, now that I'm back on regular dose, I do feel better, daily.

So, what are some other WG gaffes we may learn from? Got any interesting stories, well, they ALL are interesting, so just toss something interesting our way here!! LOL...take care all!

delorisdoe
12-11-2011, 08:22 AM
When I was first diagnosed 11 years ago or so, I did not know much about wegeners at all-I only learnt to spell it 3 months ago. Towards the end of my treatment I was feeling good and I thought "well enough of this" and I quit taking all my meds-I had been on prednisone for 2.5 years. That is all.

renidrag
12-11-2011, 10:27 AM
I could not recall, when speaking to my health care provider, the words "satisfied my deductible" in reference to payment. Very frustrating, then I thought perhaps it was early onset of whatever the name of that disease is. We stared at each other for a good ten seconds before she filled in the blanks. Humbling.
Dale

pberggren1
12-11-2011, 04:39 PM
When I was first diagnosed 11 years ago or so, I did not know much about wegeners at all-I only learnt to spell it 3 months ago. Towards the end of my treatment I was feeling good and I thought "well enough of this" and I quit taking all my meds-I had been on prednisone for 2.5 years. That is all.

That is all? That could have killed you.

pberggren1
12-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Can't say I goofed or gaffed at all. Not from what I can remember.

maria garcia
12-11-2011, 04:44 PM

What happen?

vdub
12-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I have messed up on several times. Mostly, I forget to take my evening meds, but that's not terribly henious as I eventually remember.

But on one occassion I OD'ed. I accidently took my morning meds instead of my evening meds. I was even sober! I just opened the wrong pill-minder container. The morning meds have my cortisone, thyroid medicine, and 6 or 7 other things. The steroids were the ones I was concerned about because you can go into steroid psychosis (been there and don't want to do it again). But nothing happened other than being wide awake for the next 10 hours. It was actually nice to know that I could mess up without being in dire danger. Unfortunately, my untimely and unplanned test happened while I was camping in the mountains. I decided on that day that I would limit my travels to the limits of my cell phone.

jola57
12-11-2011, 08:39 PM
I think we all have forgotten to take our meds at one time. recently when going on vacation I put my meds into one bottle to keep in my purse since I always divide between purse, carry on and check in baggage. Welllll, I forgot that I put caplet Advil in the bottle and while taking my meds thought that it was my Nexium, which looks almost the same. Talk about heartburn. I thought it was the Hawaiian food or even water. I was ever so glad I finally looked into my regular Nexium bottle and discovered the mistake. My stomach thanked me by being a happy tummy for the rest of the vacation.

annekat
12-12-2011, 03:49 AM
I guess my main problem has been remembering IF I've taken my meds. Yes, I have a pill organizer, but haven't been using it lately. Luckily, right now, messing up on the meds wouldn't cause a huge problem, I don't think, as I usually can figure out what I did, and taking too much wouldn't kill me. But this thread is a good reminder to be more organized. I do remember counting my remaining Cytoxan pills to see how many I've taken. Wish I could think of a more interesting gaffe.... maybe one will occur to me.

Anne

delorisdoe
12-12-2011, 06:23 AM
That is all? That could have killed you.

I know that now but I did not know it then. I was very clueless. Maria, I hurt alot for a few days but then I was okay. I would never do it again'

Rini
12-12-2011, 11:30 PM
when i was new (lol still am) they had me on antibiotics attempting to decide what i had. Well I did not know what i was taking was like a really strong sudafed( cant spell it, they give it to people 4 snot)...and then I took like maybe 2 or possibly 3... I ended up with best friends mom (a doctor) on the phone explaining 2 me why I was shaking and that no I did not have to go to the ER again that week, just drink A LOT of water. to OD is not fun.....I have a month long pill reminder box now

Dirty Don
12-13-2011, 04:19 AM
I have a month long pill reminder box now

NOW that's organization, I can't remember from room to room!

Hammy8241
12-13-2011, 04:24 AM
Biggest faux pas was getting this thing in the first place.......I'd love to have someone/thing to blame:rolleyes1:

NicShaf
12-13-2011, 04:56 AM
With all the pills I take daily, I often forget to take my vitamins, now I keep them in my "serious" pill box b/c having then in a separate vitamin box was too easy to forget.
I like the month long box, I think I need to get one of those...mine is a week long now.

annekat
12-13-2011, 05:11 AM
The only trouble with a pill organizing box is remembering to fill it up once it's empty! Gotta have more self-discipline, I guess. But it's a big job for even a weekly box, especially if pill-splitting is involved, so quite a chore for a monthly one!

annekat
12-13-2011, 05:18 AM
As for dumb mistakes not related to forgetting meds: I sell pottery at an outdoor market and yesterday undercharged a customer by $20! I am capable of dumb mistakes and confused thinking under these circumstances anyway (out in the cold, end of year goofiness, etc.), but it is certainly intensified by Wegener's and the drugs, especially the tapering of prednisone!

Anne

Dirty Don
12-13-2011, 06:21 AM
As for dumb mistakes not related to forgetting meds: I undercharged a customer by $20! it is certainly intensified by Wegener's and the drugs, especially the tapering of prednisone!Anne

Blame it on the drugs, I blame everything on the drugs nowadays...mostly cuz I just don't really know...

annekat
12-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Blame it on the drugs, I blame everything on the drugs nowadays...mostly cuz I just don't really know...

Yep, I have used the phrase "it must be the drugs" more times than I can count!

Rini
12-13-2011, 07:22 AM
my sister gave me the box when i was on lots of narcotics & had to do 4 times a day...I sharpied times down the side, so each week was just a dose...all 4 Mondays on the same day. i do not currently have to split pills and I pick them up every 4 weeks so I don't have to remember to fill it, just put them all in on pick up day. I like ur phrase!

Sangye
12-13-2011, 03:28 PM
When I was newly diagnosed and had only been home one day, I went to take my pred with breakfast. I was in horrible shape and extremely weak. I had also just been on pulse steroids in the ICU (1,000 mg/ day), which destroys your memory. I began eating breakfast but couldn't remember if I'd taken my pred. The person with me had memory problems and she couldn't remember, either. We actually had to empty the whole bottle of pred and count the pills. We kept losing track and had to start over. It was hilarious and terrifying all at once. I used to have a pretty sharp mind.

TommyG
12-13-2011, 06:15 PM
When I was newly diagnosed, I was on narcotic pain patches. One morning I was showering and decided to do some yoga stretches. I bent over to touch my toes. The next thing I know I'm waking up half in half out of the shower on my back looking up and smiling at my poor freaked out wife. I had fainted, but fortunately I fell the only way that didn't result in hitting my head on the tile (out the glass door). I did however end up with one hell of a bruise on my but from that little rail on the bottom of the shower door. Didn't hurt at all, thanks to that little patch. Both my wife and my doctor said no more yoga in the shower. Since hot water on a narcotic pain patch along can lead to passing out, my doctor informed me, even before I added the toe touching which can cause light headiness. I now try to read those warning on my meds sheets a bit more closely.

drz
12-13-2011, 11:19 PM
The only trouble with a pill organizing box is remembering to fill it up once it's empty! Gotta have more self-discipline, I guess. But it's a big job for even a weekly box, especially if pill-splitting is involved, so quite a chore for a monthly one!

I have used one week boxes, two week boxes and two two weeks boxes but am now sticking with the one week box for now. It is really a chore if a doctor changes your meds and you have to try change the dosage or remove a pill that is set up for the next three weeks. I find the week one easiest this way and it doesn't take as long to set it up. I am also less likely to run out of one pill when setting them up for a week at a time.

Psyborg
12-14-2011, 05:25 AM
When I was newly diagnosed, I was on narcotic pain patches. One morning I was showering and decided to do some yoga stretches. I bent over to touch my toes. The next thing I know I'm waking up half in half out of the shower on my back looking up and smiling at my poor freaked out wife. I had fainted, but fortunately I fell the only way that didn't result in hitting my head on the tile (out the glass door). I did however end up with one hell of a bruise on my but from that little rail on the bottom of the shower door. Didn't hurt at all, thanks to that little patch. Both my wife and my doctor said no more yoga in the shower. Since hot water on a narcotic pain patch along can lead to passing out, my doctor informed me, even before I added the toe touching which can cause light headiness. I now try to read those warning on my meds sheets a bit more closely.

My one passing out episode was in the shower...washing my feet :)

Dirty Don
12-14-2011, 07:41 AM
ooh, ooh, I passed out once too cuz I wasn't monitoring drug cocktails well, nor my blood pressure, went down in a heap, woke up as my mouth was bouncing off the tiled floor with blood spurting everywhere...wife was freaked, I was smiling with blood coming out my mouth and nose...LOL...kinda like a good punch in mouth...set my teeth back a millimeter or so! Now that was dumb!!

Al
12-14-2011, 07:45 AM
My one passing out episode was in the shower...washing my feet :)

Ye cats and little kittens. You stay offline a day, pursuing other interests, as they say--and those wacky weggies are at it again: going at it over Grannies, Guppies, or whatever; avatars that suck, holes in the head, therapeutic Waterpiks--and then a couple of guys fall asleep in the shower!

Oh, wait...that last one sounds like me. Well, I guess since someone else brought up the subject, I might as well join in the fun. It was the week after a CTX session. You know how, the day after, you feel like a million bucks? Probably the prednisolone they put in your juice, because the day after that, you seem worth $29.95, and get no takers. So the third day, you discount to $7.95 and sit forlornly for a customer.

So, here I am, feeling lousy. The wife is out of town, and there is just the cat to give me dead-weight therapy. I call Drac, who, wouldn't you know it, is out of the office that week. So his associate wants to check my anemia. Not great, but what scared her was that potassium was high--not good for kidney patients. Her solution: Take a horrid drug called sodium polystyrene sulphonate. I blame this evil concoction for my later troubles. (How bad is this product? Consider that the instructions say the it can can either be taken orally or used as an enema!). So the day after that, potassium was indeed normal again, but I was still feeling like last decade's fruitcake forgotten at the bottom of the closet. Maybe if I just clean up, take a shower....The next thing I knew, my face was smashed into the bathroom rug and the cat was pawing at my nose, perhaps trying to bring me to consciousness. I had managed to slither have way out of the shower, straddling the threshold. Drac thought it was transient low blood pressure, perhaps drug induced. It was weeks before my wife would let me mess with hot water unsupervised.

Is that goofy enough, fellow weggies?

Al

HopeinTN
12-14-2011, 07:53 AM
I was changing doorknobs on a very tiny bathroom and locked myself in it. I live alone, so just imagine the horror that came over me. Total panic. The knobs weren't on yet and I was just trying to line up the door jam with the lock and that was it. It matched up, but I had no way out. I had left the front and back doors open as it was a beautiful day and my poor dog was sitting in the hall looking at me thru the hole and sniffing at the door. I tried to break it down but it's a solid wood custom made door, no dice. After 45 minutes of terror and a few breaks of laughing, I found a bobby pin under the sink. I have no idea how it got there, but with the bobby pin I McGyvered my way out. I will never replace another door knob, inside or out.

Dirty Don
12-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Ye cats and little kittens..
So, here I am, feeling lousy. Consider that the instructions say the it can can either be taken orally or used as an enema!). So the day after that, potassium was indeed normal again, but I was still feeling like last decade's fruitcake forgotten at the bottom of the closet. Drac thought it was transient low blood pressure, perhaps drug induced. It was weeks before my wife would let me mess with hot water unsupervised.

Is that goofy enough, fellow weggies?Al

First of all, Al, you ARE a goof! LOL...just kickin ya while you're down...then, who in the heck would ever prescribe a drug that does that...oral enemas?? HUH? No, I understand, it's just the thought! And, that's what I had...drug induced low blood pressure...knocked me down good! My wife will NOT let me do much without her 'insight' right now...don't blame her, but quarters are getting close cuz I can't go out and golf, and she's not used to having me around so much!! LOL...another side light of WG!!!

PS: I prefer, 'ye blocks, ye stones, ye worse than senseless things...' among whom I exist as one of them!! LOL...sighs

Al
12-14-2011, 08:17 AM
...After 45 minutes of terror and a few breaks of laughing, I found a bobby pin under the sink. I have no idea how it got there, but with the bobby pin I McGyvered my way out....

Good work, HK! Maybe without the meds, it would have taken you all day to find a way out!

Al

HopeinTN
12-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Oh Al, you should never be left unsupervised.

Dirty Don
12-14-2011, 08:19 AM
I was changing doorknobs on a very tiny bathroom and locked myself in it. I live alone, so just imagine the horror that came over me. Total panic.

No offense, but that's a good one! I would've been inhaling my Xanax!! LOL...good McGyvering!!

Al
12-14-2011, 08:21 AM
PS: I prefer, 'ye blocks, ye stones, ye worse than senseless things...' among whom I exist as one of them!! LOL...sighs

Yeah, but you know how long it's been since most of us have read about Julius' troubles? We have plenty of our own, and we don't have to wait for the ides of any month. But that thought makes me sleepy. Time for a nap....

Al

HopeinTN
12-14-2011, 08:23 AM
I have rearranged my entire house and replaced every knob or light I can. It's nuts. The time in the Tiny Bathroom will never be forgotten. I get chills eveytime I walk passed it. I would have inhaled anything I could get my hands on but next to toliet paper and soap, it was slim pickins in there. The phone was in the kitchen. In addition to all doors being open to the outside I had a lasagna in the oven. I'm breaking out in a sweat just talking about it.

Al
12-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Oh Al, you should never be left unsupervised.

Hey, you sound like my mother! But I guess, as in the cradle, so to in dottage....

Al

Al
12-14-2011, 08:25 AM
I have rearranged my entire house and replaced every knob or light I can. It's nuts. The time in the Tiny Bathroom will never be forgotten. I get chills eveytime I walk passed it. I would have inhaled anything I could get my hands on but next to toliet paper and soap, it was slim pickins in there. The phone was in the kitchen. In addition to all doors being open to the outside I had a lasagna in the oven. I'm breaking out in a sweat just talking about it.

Really good story, though. I think it, along with the lasagna recipe, perhaps, needs to go in a Weggie collection.

Al

annekat
12-14-2011, 09:05 AM
I was changing doorknobs on a very tiny bathroom and locked myself in it. I live alone, so just imagine the horror that came over me. Total panic. I know what you mean, I live alone, too, and wonder how long it would take someone to find me if I fell and couldn't get up, etc.... Plus I don't sleep with my hearing aid in and might not hear if something is amiss! Oh, well, that's life.

As long as we are talking about dumb mistakes that don't involve mismanagement of meds or passing out, this morning I poured apple juice into my teakettle, boiled it, and tried to brew tea with it. When I saw the nonfat half and half congealing, I knew something was wrong. I use the apple juice jugs to store drinking water and apparently had forgotten to put the apple juice back in the fridge last night, and grabbed the wrong jug. YES, I blame it on the drugs! In addition to the fact I have no sense of smell from the Wegs, and I guess I'm blind, too!

Anne

HopeinTN
12-14-2011, 09:06 AM
We are for sure a mess!

annekat
12-14-2011, 09:59 AM
We are for sure a mess! Well, I guess the entertainment we get out of it is worth something! But let's hope people can stay out of life-threatening situations...as if having Wegs isn't bad enough all by itself.

Al
12-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Well, I guess the entertainment we get out of it is worth something! But let's hope people can stay out of life-threatening situations...as if having Wegs isn't bad enough all by itself.

Fun and games are good for Weggies, Anne, and we need our humor, even if much of it is of the gallows variety. But you raise a serious issue: When we are on our own--for whatever reason--how do we handle things beyond us? Passing out in the shower is dodgy enough; how about missing a fire alarm, or, because of blasted noses, miss the fine aroma of something smoking on the stove? Or lie around in agony when a med is missed? Katrina suggested that I should always have supervision. I am lucky enough to have it, most of the time. But what about those who do not? You have your cats; can they be trained to be service dogs?

Al

annekat
12-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Fun and games are good for Weggies, Anne, and we need our humor, even if much of it is of the gallows variety. But you raise a serious issue: When we are on our own--for whatever reason--how do we handle things beyond us? Passing out in the shower is dodgy enough; how about missing a fire alarm, or, because of blasted noses, miss the fine aroma of something smoking on the stove? Or lie around in agony when a med is missed? Katrina suggested that I should always have supervision. I am lucky enough to have it, most of the time. But what about those who do not? You have your cats; can they be trained to be service dogs?

Al That's one reason I have RV tenants, so someone will be around.... although right now there is no one and I'm enjoying the solitude! I suppose this question extends to others besides Weggies, older or somewhat disabled people who live alone but really shouldn't. I do have good neighbors who'd be over in a flash if I needed help, given I was in a position to notify them... and I think I'd hear the smoke alarm without my hearing aid. Probably couldn't smell smoke, though.... did burn some potatoes recently for that reason, having totally forgotten about them with my Weggie mind. Should probably keep my cell phone on my person at all times, but I don't. As for the cats, well... I don't think so, darn it.

Anne

HopeinTN
12-14-2011, 03:04 PM
I have a pretty smart dog but he was no help in this situation. I did walk straight over to my neighbor's house (they had just got home from a football game) and told them that if they don't see me or my car for a day or two, please come over and let me out of the bathroom. Or, make sure I'm ok. I never really thought about being alone as I LOVE IT. However, since being sick, it's a whole new thing and scary.

Al
12-14-2011, 03:23 PM
I have a pretty smart dog but he was no help in this situation. I did walk straight over to my neighbor's house (they had just got home from a football game) and told them that if they don't see me or my car for a day or two, please come over and let me out of the bathroom. Or, make sure I'm ok. I never really thought about being alone as I LOVE IT. However, since being sick, it's a whole new thing and scary.

I've never met a service dog, HK, clever with lock picks and yegg (I was going to say "cat burgler") tools. But they can come in handy for things like smelling smoke, calling attention to odd sounds, and even, with some special equipment, dialing 911. Anne's cats might have a tougher time deciding how to proceed, even if they know, generally, that something is wrong. Pluses and minuses with living alone. Pluses and minuses.

Al

annekat
12-14-2011, 03:30 PM
I've never met a service dog, HK, clever with lock picks and yegg (I was going to say "cat burgler") tools. But they can come in handy for things like smelling smoke, calling attention to odd sounds, and even, with some special equipment, dialing 911. Anne's cats might have a tougher time deciding how to proceed, even if they know, generally, that something is wrong. Pluses and minuses with living alone. Pluses and minuses.

AlThey'd probably proceed by either hiding under the bed or in the closet or by making a beeline for the cat door. However, one cat who sleeps with me is good at poking my face with his paw to get my attention, so maybe he could use that for something other than just getting me to scratch his head.

HopeinTN
12-14-2011, 03:36 PM
I'd rather take my chances with a cat or dog than most people I've met. They are unconditional.

mishb
12-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Do you not have SOS medical alarm systems in the USA

It is a personal health/help alarm that is worn as a necklace and they also instal them around your home as a push button alert system (in the bathrooms, bedroom, lounge & kitchen).
Once you push the button an operator will call you to see if you are alright. If you don't answer the phone they will send an emergency service over to check on you.

Goodness, it sounds like you all need this system (or make sure hairpins are placed strategically around the house)

annekat
12-15-2011, 03:40 AM
Do you not have SOS medical alarm systems in the USA

It is a personal health/help alarm that is worn as a necklace and they also instal them around your home as a push button alert system (in the bathrooms, bedroom, lounge & kitchen).
Once you push the button an operator will call you to see if you are alright. If you don't answer the phone they will send an emergency service over to check on you.

Goodness, it sounds like you all need this system (or make sure hairpins are placed strategically around the house)

I believe I have seen something like this advertised on TV here, for at least a few years. So maybe we do have it..... anyone else?

Al
12-15-2011, 06:49 AM
I believe I have seen something like this advertised on TV here, for at least a few years. So maybe we do have it..... anyone else?

These systems do exist in the US; they are operated by private firms in the same way as security systems. So they are as good as the operator, and are generally less available in non-urban areas (because private companies want to make money, after all).

Al

Dirty Don
12-15-2011, 06:49 AM

My mom used Life Alert here in USA...it's by subscription, but is advertised around dinner time and just before bed time for us OLD folks! LOL From experience with mom, it works very well & is affordable. Fire and parameds were very attentive and prompt...never a bill cept to notify of the service charge...works well.

Al
12-15-2011, 07:32 AM
My mom used Life Alert here in USA...it's by subscription, but is advertised around dinner time and just before bed time for us OLD folks! LOL From experience with mom, it works very well & is affordable. Fire and parameds were very attentive and prompt...never a bill cept to notify of the service charge...works well.

Yeah, but a service dog might be willing to chase down the ball you sliced into the cactus, eh, Don?

Al

Dirty Don
12-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Funny guy methinks..sheesh, and I hit a 'power fade', NOT a slice!! LOL...well, this WG has been a kind of slice of sorts I guess!! My swing isn't always perfect!! Hehe!

Al
12-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Funny guy methinks..sheesh, and I hit a 'power fade', NOT a slice!! LOL...well, this WG has been a kind of slice of sorts I guess!! My swing isn't always perfect!! Hehe!

"Power fade"....I like it! "Honey, maybe I'm not a sick old man. Sorry, I can't mow the lawn anyway. I'll be out in the woods recovering from my power fade...".

Al

Dirty Don
12-15-2011, 10:50 AM
" I'll be out in the woods recovering from my power fade...".Al

Don't be stealin my excuses!!!

HopeinTN
12-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Personally I have a natural draw. I haven't gotten to play in over a month and it's killing me.

Sangye
12-15-2011, 03:21 PM
I know what you mean, I live alone, too, and wonder how long it would take someone to find me if I fell and couldn't get up, etc.... Plus I don't sleep with my hearing aid in and might not hear if something is amiss! Oh, well, that's life.

As long as we are talking about dumb mistakes that don't involve mismanagement of meds or passing out, this morning I poured apple juice into my teakettle, boiled it, and tried to brew tea with it. When I saw the nonfat half and half congealing, I knew something was wrong. I use the apple juice jugs to store drinking water and apparently had forgotten to put the apple juice back in the fridge last night, and grabbed the wrong jug. YES, I blame it on the drugs! In addition to the fact I have no sense of smell from the Wegs, and I guess I'm blind, too!

Anne
ROTFL That was priceless

Psyborg
12-16-2011, 09:38 AM
ROTFL That was priceless

Actually warm apple juice doesn't sound bad. Or at least mulled cider :)

annekat
12-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Actually warm apple juice doesn't sound bad. Or at least mulled cider :)

I actually drink warm apple juice a lot in the winter. But this was supposed to be my morning caffeine, and I poured the hot apple juice over a chai spice tea bag, then added nonfat half and half which curdled from the pectin in the apple juice, or something. So it was a mess, and not what I had in mind. It might have been OK without the curdled half and half. I put it down the drain and started over.

Anne

Al
12-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I actually drink warm apple juice a lot in the winter. But this was supposed to be my morning caffeine, and I poured the hot apple juice over a chai spice tea bag, then added nonfat half and half which curdled from the pectin in the apple juice, or something. So it was a mess, and not what I had in mind. It might have been OK without the curdled half and half. I put it down the drain and started over.

Anne

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. Aha! another one of those little metaphors at the, uh, core of life....

Al

Dirty Don
12-16-2011, 03:02 PM
those little metaphors at the, uh, core of life....Al

looks over shoulder...keeps on walkin....sighs...incorrigible!!!!!!!

Al
12-16-2011, 03:13 PM
looks over shoulder...keeps on walkin....sighs...incorrigible!!!!!!!
...Says (groaningly) the pot to the kettle. "Incorrigible"...ĦAy, caramba!

Al

Dirty Don
12-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Touche, you win, you're on tonite, I'm running on less than half a tank, but still running...just thought I'd let y'ALl know that!! I'm fading fast early tonite...loooong day, but a generally good one...

D

Al
12-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Touche, you win, you're on tonite, I'm running on less than half a tank, but still running...just thought I'd let y'ALl know that!! I'm fading fast early tonite...loooong day, but a generally good one...

D

Nighty-nightly, Don. Sleep tightly....

pberggren1
12-16-2011, 05:48 PM
You guys are scraping the barrel if you have to resort to quoting Bart Simpson........lol.

Dirty Don
12-17-2011, 04:19 AM
Did one of us quote Simpson? OMG! Don't even watch the show! Anyways, woke up this morning, ears a little clearer, deviated septum is gone and I can't believe how much air I was NOT getting. I will be stuffed up 'naturally' for a few days, no nose blowing I'm told. But, the 'new' procedure at Mayo for deviated septums no longer includes packing nor 'chipping' away at the cartilage...with new tech they just follow the camera, take a real sharp knife, trim away the affected parts, sew up the soft tissue left, and leave it. Very little bleeding last nite, still stuffy, but not allowed to blow nose till completely healed in there. So, operation successful for now...we'll see in a week or so once all swelling goes away.

annekat
12-17-2011, 04:46 AM
Did one of us quote Simpson? OMG! Don't even watch the show! Anyways, woke up this morning, ears a little clearer, deviated septum is gone and I can't believe how much air I was NOT getting. I will be stuffed up 'naturally' for a few days, no nose blowing I'm told. But, the 'new' procedure at Mayo for deviated septums no longer includes packing nor 'chipping' away at the cartilage...with new tech they just follow the camera, take a real sharp knife, trim away the affected parts, sew up the soft tissue left, and leave it. Very little bleeding last nite, still stuffy, but not allowed to blow nose till completely healed in there. So, operation successful for now...we'll see in a week or so once all swelling goes away. Glad to hear the surgery seems to have been a success. I thought they were going to do something with your Eustachian tubes? To cut down the "wind tunnel" effect? Or was that you? Keep us posted on your recovery and all the improvements in your condition.

Anne

Dirty Don
12-17-2011, 05:16 AM
I thought they were going to do something with your Eustachian tubes? To cut down the "wind tunnel" effect? Or was that you? Keep us posted on your recovery and all the improvements in your condition.Anne

Yup Anne, that is/was me. Eustachian tube had expanded to create that wind tunnel effect. In essence, what doc did is, based on my need for air and acceptable Eustachian diameters, she injected a form of collagen into areas of the tube to expand the tube so as to restrict the air flow. Make sense? Neither instances, tube nor septum were not connected directly to WG, but they are partial damages due to the original flare this summer...just cleanin up the mess as best as I can!!! LOL

Al
12-17-2011, 06:36 AM
...just cleanin up the mess as best as I can!!! LOL
Er, you talkin' about health matters here, or are you makin' a veiled dig at my lifestyle?

Al

Dirty Don
12-17-2011, 07:17 AM
Er, you talkin' about health matters here, or are you makin' a veiled dig at my lifestyle?Al

Ha! Methinks you think too much my friend! And/or you are very observant!! lmao!!! Can I say lmao on here????? LMAO!!!

NicShaf
12-17-2011, 08:08 AM
I don't know if this counts, but a couple months back I started using a neti pot. So one day, I went to work and dropped my pen. When I bent over to pick it up, some residual water came running out of my nose! Luckily it was early enough that only a couple people were in the office...but I make sure to get ALL the water out now:)

pberggren1
12-17-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't know if this counts, but a couple months back I started using a neti pot. So one day, I went to work and dropped my pen. When I bent over to pick it up, some residual water came running out of my nose! Luckily it was early enough that only a couple people were in the office...but I make sure to get ALL the water out now:)

I have this happen quite regularly.......lol. Even when I try to get all the water out.

pberggren1
12-17-2011, 01:15 PM
And then there is the chunks that will fly out of my nose and mouth.

Al
12-17-2011, 01:45 PM
And then there is the chunks that will fly out of my nose and mouth.

So, this is the weggie equivalent of what, in the film business, is called a "spit shot". Sounds like pretty good technique for a weggie comedy show. Hey! Maybe weggies would excel at stand-up--if they could actually stand up long enough....

Al