PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Loss????

nessa
12-10-2011, 01:43 PM
i have been feeling like my hearing is decreasing by the day so i saw my ent last week and he ordered that i take a hearing test.. i got my results back and wow i failed it completely according to the person that gives the test i pretty much hear like im under water... so im scheduled for surgery to get tubes put in both my ears to see if that helps the problem. if not ive been told i will need hearing aids (as if life isn't tragic enough) now i have to deal with this.. and i think sometimes" whos gonna want me"?!, i am 24 yr old single mom with WG, i feel like im never gonna be in a normal relationship :sad: uggghhhh i just dont no sometimes i just want my old life back.....

Chris G
12-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Keep your chin up nessa. I had quite a bit if hearing loss when my tubes were plugged and the ear was full of fluid. After my eardrum ruptured and the fluid drained, my hearing returned to normal (after a couple of months). Hopefully yours will too.

nessa
12-10-2011, 02:37 PM
thanx chris :thumbsup:

pberggren1
12-10-2011, 03:12 PM
I so know what you mean nessa.

Righ now I am totally deaf, but I recently got cochlear implants and was turned on about a month ago so I can hear pretty good when I wear the processors and coils.

I know exactly what you mean about the relationship thing. Hang in there, you never know what is around the corner.

Take care,
Phil

mama2005
12-10-2011, 05:02 PM
I understand about the hearing and as bad as I thought hearing aids would be I am so thankful for mine. I lost 80% in one ear and 65% in the othere. I am sure that there is going to be a very bright and promising future for you just keep your head up.

vdub
12-10-2011, 05:26 PM
I have had hearing aids for about a year. They really have some cool advances now. My hearing aids have buit-in bluetooth and I can watch tv thru the hearing aids and answer my phone, too. Pretty neat. however, as far as watching tv goes, I still prefer my headsets. You can either get the standard IR headsets, which limit you to about 20' line-of-sight to the tv or you can get the RF kind. The RF kind operate on a small FM transmitter that plugs to the back of your TV and then you listen with any pair of am/fm radio headsets (usually used when jogging, so in sports stores or RS). The RF kind works best in a small town with a lot of blank FM channels....

Al
12-10-2011, 07:42 PM
i...i just want my old life back.....

Yes, you do, Nessa. We all do--yours and our own. I truly wish I could give it to you. And who knows? It might happen. But these things are not ours to control. What we can control is how we handle the life we have. That, I am willing to bet that you will succeed at! People are complex beings, Nessa; WG is a rough blow, but you have many qualities that have nothing to do with WG. And there are many folks that look deeper than the hardware on the ears.Therefore, I am also willing to bet that you will find Mr. Right! (Remember I said it first when you send out the announcement!)

Al

Chris G
12-11-2011, 01:03 AM
I have had hearing aids for about a year. They really have some cool advances now. My hearing aids have buit-in bluetooth and I can watch tv thru the hearing aids and answer my phone, too. Pretty neat. however, as far as watching tv goes, I still prefer my headsets. You can either get the standard IR headsets, which limit you to about 20' line-of-sight to the tv or you can get the RF kind. The RF kind operate on a small FM transmitter that plugs to the back of your TV and then you listen with any pair of am/fm radio headsets (usually used when jogging, so in sports stores or RS). The RF kind works best in a small town with a lot of blank FM channels....

Built in blue tooth! That's SO COOL!!!!

nessa
12-11-2011, 05:55 AM
thanx for all your responses reading this makes me feel a whole lot better. i am glad that i joined this forum...

annekat
12-11-2011, 01:52 PM
thanx for all your responses reading this makes me feel a whole lot better. i am glad that i joined this forum...
I have one hearing aid and I'm very thankful for it. I'm working on getting one for the other ear. It was getting to be a real pain to keep asking people to repeat themselves. Mine is the over the ear kind and has a clear ear piece so it is hard to see. It's not as much of an issue for me as my saddle nose, which is largely disguised by my glasses. Anyway, I know what you mean about feeling self-conscious and wondering if anyone will want you. But I am 59 years old and I think there might be a Mr. Right hanging around here for me. So, at your age, there is lots of hope. A quality guy is not going to care about a hearing aid. If you are lucky the tubes will work and you won't need them.

Anne

nessa
12-11-2011, 03:16 PM
thanx anne :smile1: i'm really hoping that the tubes will work if not then i will just have to except it and go with the hearing aids.. its better then being so hard of hearing....

nessa
12-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Yes, you do, Nessa. We all do--yours and our own. I truly wish I could give it to you. And who knows? It might happen. But these things are not ours to control. What we can control is how we handle the life we have. That, I am willing to bet that you will succeed at! People are complex beings, Nessa; WG is a rough blow, but you have many qualities that have nothing to do with WG. And there are many folks that look deeper than the hardware on the ears.Therefore, I am also willing to bet that you will find Mr. Right! (Remember I said it first when you send out the announcement!)

Al

awwww thanx al how do you stay so positive?... your words always make me feel better thanx for that :smile1:

nessa
12-11-2011, 03:21 PM
I so know what you mean nessa.

Righ now I am totally deaf, but I recently got cochlear implants and was turned on about a month ago so I can hear pretty good when I wear the processors and coils.

I know exactly what you mean about the relationship thing. Hang in there, you never know what is around the corner.

Take care,
Phil

thanx phil :smile1:

nessa
12-11-2011, 03:26 PM

wooow vdub really thats so cool i wouldnt mind getting hearing aids like that.. i bet they cost a fortune though...

nessa
12-11-2011, 03:30 PM
I understand about the hearing and as bad as I thought hearing aids would be I am so thankful for mine. I lost 80% in one ear and 65% in the othere. I am sure that there is going to be a very bright and promising future for you just keep your head up.

thanx mama i will u do the same :smile1:

pberggren1
12-11-2011, 04:34 PM
My new ears have Bluetooth as well.

jola57
12-11-2011, 08:27 PM
I regained some of my hearing so I am not a candidate for aids but the tinnitus is so bad sometimes that having the aids would help. I still have problems hearing what is said to me when there are other people talking around, like in a restaurant or train station.

Al
12-12-2011, 07:52 AM
awwww thanx al how do you stay so positive?... your words always make me feel better thanx for that :smile1:
Let's talk about doors, Nessa. (I was thinking about mountain climbing, but there aren't so many rock climbs where you live; doors will do fine.) Disease always makes it harder to go through some doors. Fortunately, there are always plenty of others. I'm an old guy. I've done okay in my career, but I know that those doors will get harder to open. Yet, there are others. You are a lot younger than I; you will have no trouble with most doors--and there are so many to choose from! Besides, you have to keep in mind that everyone else has limitations as well, whether from disease, lack of ambition, or just blindness to how the world works. Should their issues slow you down? Go, girl, go!

And as for hearing aids, should they be necessary: A lot of people think that jewelry hung from the ear lobes is attractive. Why not jewelry in the ear?

Al