PDA

View Full Version : This site is dead to me

me2
12-06-2011, 03:18 AM
I'm so frustrated. I have not been able to access this site and all the wonderful people here for some time now. RARELY can I get the site to load. I click on the link dozens and dozens of times and most days cannot get through. I exaggerate NOT.

The rare times it does go through is often not a convenient time for me to read or interact. I've contacted the Head Kahuna and even offered to help in any way that I can.

For now I'm cut off except for rare times like this. And I have to spend THIS time complaining . I'm good at it but I do have other things to share.
Kirk

PS Part of my frustration is that in all my years of internet fiddling I have not encountered this. This is not some gardening site that I can just go find another one. (which I have never had to do)

Geoff
12-06-2011, 04:24 AM
It doesnt help I know but I am in the same boat!!

me2
12-06-2011, 04:31 AM
It does help to know someone is in the same boat Geoff. Thanks. Lets both keep paddling and hope that we get somewhere.
Hey, you even have a picture of the boat. Avast ye land lubbers. (gee, I hope that's not cursing at someone)

delorisdoe
12-06-2011, 04:34 AM
I am at times locked out for 6 hours.

Hammy8241
12-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Me too! Just presumed that the site has WEGNERS (not G la de la PA:predrage:) , is on pred and having mood swings like many of us! You'll be happy to know that I go weeks without wanting to talk to others. But it is frustrating.

NicShaf
12-06-2011, 06:37 AM
I was just telling my husband that this happens on our home computer more often than not. But I never have an issue with my work computer. Could it be the security settings? I'm not tech savi in that department...

Dirty Don
12-06-2011, 06:41 AM
You can check your settings, but most unlikely them if you are getting on to other sites fine. It is most likely the server used for maintaining this site...could be many things at that point. We're all having problems, they will get it eventually.

don

Al
12-06-2011, 08:07 AM
I have rarely had problems, except on my phone. (One way I wake up in the morning is to, before I get actually arise, scan over today's posts. Then I am ready to read the morning paper, as the mayhem of the world seems like light reading at that point!) Most work computers have tighter security settings than home computers, so I doubt that is an issue. Not sure what to think....

Al

Dirty Don
12-06-2011, 08:14 AM
before I get actually arise

Really?!?! Zooooooooommm, outta here! LOL

Dryhill
12-06-2011, 08:40 AM
I have seen quite a few complaints about connecting to this site but I have never had any problems. Now I have stated that I am sure not to get connected until sometime next year.

me2
12-06-2011, 08:53 AM
I appreciate hearing how things are going for others on this subject. I wondered about the security settings too and went in and fiddled with them for about an hour. It made no difference. Of course I am NOT tech savy either so that is not evidence of much use.
I also thought it might be browser related so I switched browsers. I went from Microsoft related browsers to Google Chrome (which I found out I really like) and it made no difference.
What particularly baffles me on this subject is that I use the web a LOT and have never seen this problem with another site, which leads me to believe , as someone mentioned, it is probably not related to my machine but to a server somewhere.

This thread reminds me of a favorite saying from a science fiction book I read in High School

"Shared pain is decreased , shared joy is increased" -- Callahan's Crosstime Saloon

Chris G
12-06-2011, 09:11 AM
I was just telling my husband that this happens on our home computer more often than not. But I never have an issue with my work computer. Could it be the security settings? I'm not tech savi in that department...

Same her! I NEVER have trouble logging on from my work computer, but home has been a problem lately.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's because of the many spammers and fake users that seem to be gaining access to our forum lately.

Psyborg
12-06-2011, 11:59 AM
I have the opposite problem. No issues getting on from home, but only able to get on at work first thing in the morning. WHich might be better for my productivity I suppose :)

vdub
12-06-2011, 02:30 PM
It's not your systems at home, at work, or your internet settings. Don't mess with the settings on your system.

OK, here's what I'll do. If there is a huge ground-swell of support, will stand-up a permanent site given some caveats.

First, no one thinks ill of Andrew -- he started something good here, it's just become overwhelming.

Second, my site could also go that route. I have never done this before and have no idea what kind of money or time it will burn up. If it becomes too much, I will simply pull the plug. Time is the huge issue -- money isn't that much of a factor.

Third, I seriously doubt any of the stuff on Andrew's site could be easily ported to a new site. We would be starting from scratch except that we would, almost overnight, have hundreds of new members.

I have thought about this for a long time and I have a lot of misgivings for even suggesting it. But, if you guys want..... I'm not totally sold, but.......

NicShaf
12-06-2011, 03:03 PM
It's not your systems at home, at work, or your internet settings. Don't mess with the settings on your system.

OK, here's what I'll do. If there is a huge ground-swell of support, will stand-up a permanent site given some caveats.

First, no one thinks ill of Andrew -- he started something good here, it's just become overwhelming.

Second, my site could also go that route. I have never done this before and have no idea what kind of money or time it will burn up. If it becomes too much, I will simply pull the plug. Time is the huge issue -- money isn't that much of a factor.

Third, I seriously doubt any of the stuff on Andrew's site could be easily ported to a new site. We would be starting from scratch except that we would, almost overnight, have hundreds of new members.

I have thought about this for a long time and I have a lot of misgivings for even suggesting it. But, if you guys want..... I'm not totally sold, but.......

I hope no one took anything that was said as something bad about Andrew. He has created a wonderful site, I don't know where I'd be without it. I have had issues getting to the site from home, but I usually just log in from work, problem solved for me. I'm probably not always as productive as psyborg, though:)

Sangye
12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I haven't been having any issues connecting, which is odd because my computer is a total wreck these days-- constant crashes, blue screens, you name it. I am so sorry to hear that many of you are having this problem!! I wondered why you weren't posting much, Kirk. I sure miss your posts.

I have misgivings about starting a new site. I don't want to lose the enormous amount of info from this site. And even though we don't see much of Andrew these days, I love that he is the administrator. Some of you newer folks haven't gotten to know him that well, but he is a warm, compassionate and lighthearted guy. I think your offer is very kind, vdub. I just don't think I'm ready for that kind of a change.

vdub
12-06-2011, 03:36 PM
I just don't think I'm ready for that kind of a change.

I'm not sure I am either....

Al
12-06-2011, 03:52 PM
OK, here's what I'll do. If there is a huge ground-swell of support, will stand-up a permanent site given some caveats....I seriously doubt any of the stuff on Andrew's site could be easily ported to a new site. We would be starting from scratch except that we would, almost overnight, have hundreds of new members.

I'm not completely sold, either, vdub, mostly because of that last caveat. But I think it is worth discussing....

Al

pberggren1
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
I can see where u are coming from vdub.

But I would rather just stay on this site if at all possible. Have u talked to Andy lately? I have not chatted with him for a while now, probably at least 2 weeks or more. I think if this site can be fixed then we are better off just all staying here.

I have had fights and stuff with other people on here but I still love and care for absolutely everyone on here.

Lately, probably the last 3 months at least, I have not really had the energy or concentration to carefully read and respond to all the posts on here each day. I know I have been sick and in and out of hospitals the last 3 months but I feel kinda guilty not puting in my 2 cents worth all the time.

I also notice that we have some really nice new members here the last few months as well.

Andy is an awesome guy for sure and I think he is doing a good job. I will try and get a hold of him on FB and see what he thinks should be done.

I agree with all of u on here that we should try and keep this site going.

vdub
12-06-2011, 04:56 PM
I sent a couple e-m's to him, but didn't get a response, so just thought I'd wait and see.... Soooo, I haven't heard from in several weeks.

pberggren1
12-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Hopefully he will respond soon and have an idea what to do. I will try and track him down on FB.

me2
12-06-2011, 06:37 PM
I certainly meant no dis-respect to Andrew. If he were here I would give him a big hug for all that he has done. I realize NOW that the title of my thread could sound negative, I actually meant it to have just a tinge of humor and the rest some frustration. See, my humor and title skills are getting rusty.
It is because I appreciate what Andrew has created here that it feels bad not to be able to connect when I want to. I'm a little spoiled by the wonderful people I've come to know here and what it has meant to me to be able to connect with you.

I'm not sure what you are talking about Vdub except the part about loosing whats here and being flooded with hundreds of new members. I would vote with not doing that even though it means I would be severely limited in my ability to hang out here.
If we leave things the same would they stay the same? What are the odds of getting better or worse?
I have a lot of questions about this but I don't want to use up more of your time. I trust we are in good hands.

annekat
12-06-2011, 11:44 PM
It is because I appreciate what Andrew has created here that it feels bad not to be able to connect when I want to. I'm a little spoiled by the wonderful people I've come to know here and what it has meant to me to be able to connect with you.

I know what you mean about being spoiled.... I was spoiled well before I stopped lurking and started posting. This site means SO much to me. I hope the problems can get resolved without having to switch to a new site.

Good to hear from you again, Kirk. No problems for me connecting, so it isn't geographically related (ha, ha).....

Anne in Olympia

pwc51
12-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Like many others I too have been struggling to connect. Miraculously, almost since this thread started, it seems to have improved! Do you think it can read our collective minds or will it soon revert to its old ways?

Dirty Don
12-07-2011, 03:55 AM
Yep, it has improved, got right in this morning, don't think that has ever happened in my short existence on here!! Yea!

Sangye
12-07-2011, 04:21 AM
ROTFL So are we all in agreement that the website has become self-aware? :laugh::w00t:

annekat
12-07-2011, 04:48 AM
Like many others I too have been struggling to connect. Miraculously, almost since this thread started, it seems to have improved! Do you think it can read our collective minds or will it soon revert to its old ways? So now, if only our collective minds could make Wegs go away!

Anne

pwc51
12-07-2011, 05:25 AM
The power of positive thought ........ I wish !!!! There is no doubt that being positive helps but sadly I can always tell it is lurking ready to bite back!

ScreaminMeanie
12-07-2011, 05:46 AM
I still have problems getting in every day, and then the last dozen or so times I've tried to post, I hit the "Post Quick Reply" button, and my post disappears forever. It's frustrating. Frustration causes stress. Stress is the last thing any of us need.

But I don't want this site to go away - worst case scenario, if it did get totally borked (a technical term in IT ;) ), a new site would be better than no site at all. But it sure would be nice if we could keep this one and resolve its issues.......

Dirty Don
12-07-2011, 05:57 AM
A self aware web site, scary! Kind of like having Al and Sangye on call 24/7! LOL...nothing but the best for us Weggies!!

rif
12-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Never had any problems connecting to this site. I really don't want this site to go away as there are a lot of great people here.:smile1:

pwc51
12-08-2011, 07:32 PM
How wrong could I be - I have just been unable to access the site for more than a day!

Retribution for my earlier comments!

maria garcia
12-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Where is Andrew? I noticed he was so involved in the past and now he is gone from here. Phil please try to reach him. I hope he is ok. Its so amazing what he created with this site It has become part of my life. This site makes me feel safe bcse of all the caring people and knowlegeable about wegs. Nobody here in the Sunshine State that I have mentioned Wegs or Vasculities has any idea what Im talking about. But here is safe everyone understands. Therapy for me for sure.

jola57
12-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Hi all, this is the only forum that I have ever been on and do not ever want it to go away. I cannot tell you how much you all have ment to me in my recovery from the lowest I have ever been. But for your friendship, advice, shared stories, I think I would go nuts and this comes from a very happy lady with a sunny disposition. LOL. I will try to get in touch with Andrew and see if I can help. I had trouble logging in a while back and Andrew sorted it out. He is dealing with life's little issues, so please wait this problem out as best as you can untill it can be sorted. If there is a way, it will be found.

Hammy8241
12-10-2011, 03:34 AM
How wrong could I be - I have just been unable to access the site for more than a day!

Retribution for my earlier comments!

Ahhhh, but things improving across the border in Hampshire - must be global warming:thumbup: Only been kick out once in three days.

pberggren1
12-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Andrew is okay. He is just stressing out. He said depression hit him hard and needed a break.

pwc51
12-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Ahhhh, but things improving across the border in Hampshire - must be global warming:thumbup: Only been kick out once in three days.

Ahhh - the infamous border - perhaps I should move to the other side and see if it improves!

drz
12-10-2011, 11:13 PM
This is first time i can access this site in several days. It was taking many clicks over a few hours a week ago but then became even more difficult. Hope the problem gets fixed or maybe it has been fixed since I finally got connected.

chrisTIn@
12-11-2011, 12:22 AM
This is first time i can access this site in several days. It was taking many clicks over a few hours a week ago but then became even more difficult. Hope the problem gets fixed or maybe it has been fixed since I finally got connected.

I'm sorry to hear that you have so much problems logging in, drz!
I'm on the other side of the globe but didn't have much trouble withe acces lately.

I hope Andrew will soon be here again.
I'm very sorry to hear that he 's depressed. Wish him all the best, hope he'll soon come back to this wonderfull site that means so much to all of us.
Thanks again Andrew, for this great initiative. :thumbsup:

mishb
12-11-2011, 05:46 PM
I have never had a problem getting on, not at home or at work.
(Maybe it's because I am closer to Andrew (geographically of course)

Dryhill
12-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Ahhh - the infamous border - perhaps I should move to the other side and see if it improves!

No Peter your problem is not living inn the best bit of Surrey. Dormansland is THE centre of the known universe, I have never had any problem accessing the forum.

Jim

Dryhill
12-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Andrew is okay. He is just stressing out. He said depression hit him hard and needed a break.

Phil, when it seems the right time do please let Andrew know we all miss him, and not because of any problems with the forum.

Jim

pberggren1
12-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Phil, when it seems the right time do please let Andrew know we all miss him, and not because of any problems with the forum.

Jim

I've already told him so.

Rini
12-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I FOUND YOU! ( hi everyone) I tried joining another forum.....it realllly kinda, ell sorry but it sucked....you guys are very friendly & the sight, when it can be found, is user friendly....more so anyway. So hears how I found you! I got fed up and googled myself ;) yep I googled Me & well & then I found phil actually...lol, hi phil...thank you for posting my name! glad 2 c ur good. I miss Andrew.I miss you guys, I have trouble w/ school Wifi not knowing what to do with you....were all aliens even on the internet. spking of that I got to meet a fellow Weggie 2day!!!! well yesterday...im not sleeping well...anywho <3 you all

pberggren1
12-13-2011, 06:12 AM
So Rini, how was this visit with a fellow Weggie? Someone from this Forum?

I told u on another thread to look for Weg Map. I can't find it now either........lol.

Rini
12-13-2011, 07:29 AM
I got to meet mama2005! it was very cool. I love being able to talk to you guys but It is just not the same as actually having lunch with someone who knows EXACTLY what you mean. even when the doctors don't.

pberggren1
12-13-2011, 10:34 AM
That is so awesome Rini. I happy that you 2 got to meet one another.