PDA

View Full Version : Any research/info out there about Wegs and taking HRT?

ArlaMo
12-02-2011, 01:15 PM
My OB/Gyn confirmed last week that the ctx has caused early menopause (my mom was about 13-14 years older than I am currently when she went through it.) The OB/Gyn is not really familiar with Wegs and I'm not sure what the pros and cons are for HRT that might be different for a Weggie. Anybody know?

Sangye
12-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Very bad idea. HRT increases the risk of blood clots and so does Wegs. The combo would put you at severe high risk.

Why are you considering HRT? There are natural hormone replacements that will not increase risk and will restore a proper hormone balance. A holistic doc can guide you.

ArlaMo
12-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I guess the biggest reason is the risk of heart disease. That concerns me. So I've got early menopause going for me, steroid induced diabetes, a hefty amount of weight gain from the pred that I canNOT seem to get rid of, no matter how hard I try, high blood pressure....

I also worry about the osteoporosis issues - my mom has it, her mom has it. I've been on pred for 20 months now, plus the early menopause.

And then there are the other issues - hot flashes, mood swings, trouble sleeping, zero libido...

Just considering my options, trying to figure out how to make the best of the situation I'm in.

Unfortunately, we're in a pretty small town, so I'm not sure that there are any holistic docs. I've never heard of any here. I'll check it out, though. Thanks for the info - I wondered if blood clots might be an issue.

Al
12-02-2011, 07:10 PM
I guess the biggest reason is the risk of heart disease. That concerns me. So I've got early menopause going for me, steroid induced diabetes, a hefty amount of weight gain from the pred that I canNOT seem to get rid of, no matter how hard I try, high blood pressure....

I also worry about the osteoporosis issues - my mom has it, her mom has it. I've been on pred for 20 months now, plus the early menopause.

And then there are the other issues - hot flashes, mood swings, trouble sleeping, zero libido...

Just considering my options, trying to figure out how to make the best of the situation I'm in.

Unfortunately, we're in a pretty small town, so I'm not sure that there are any holistic docs. I've never heard of any here. I'll check it out, though. Thanks for the info - I wondered if blood clots might be an issue.

What kind of exercise program do you have going? Not that you need to be a gym rat, but every complaint you list (except, possibly the diabetes), is considered, by most practitioners, to go better with physical activity. Only problem is, you can't just look for a coach; some guy at the club is not going to know enough about your disease to set you up with something appropriate. You may have to get your doctor involved.

Al

delorisdoe
12-03-2011, 12:13 AM
I am 38-for another 21 days anyway, and went through menopause about 9 years ago. No hrt for me my aunt would kill me.

ArlaMo
12-03-2011, 02:24 AM
What kind of exercise program do you have going? Not that you need to be a gym rat, but every complaint you list (except, possibly the diabetes), is considered, by most practitioners, to go better with physical activity. Only problem is, you can't just look for a coach; some guy at the club is not going to know enough about your disease to set you up with something appropriate. You may have to get your doctor involved.

Al

I am at the Y 6 days a week. I am in a spinning class MWF - about an hour long, lots of interval training. 3 days a week, I do the Nautilus circuit twice. I also have a treadmill at home and I walk for about 30 min/day.

Chris G
12-03-2011, 02:53 AM
I am at the Y 6 days a week. I am in a spinning class MWF - about an hour long, lots of interval training. 3 days a week, I do the Nautilus circuit twice. I also have a treadmill at home and I walk for about 30 min/day.

Wow arlamo that's amazing! I think that officially makes me a lazy slob.

Dirty Don
12-03-2011, 04:17 AM
If one can, I would stongly suggest you get a PT (physical trainer) who can specialize a program just for you. Once I got out of the hospital and into rehab, it was incredible what my PT had me doing in just a few weeks...now if I'd only stay with it!! I get distracted easily!! And, if that's not possible, there are tons of free programs on the internet to work out by...all depends on what one wants to accomplish. I'm a golfer, everything I do is aimed at my golf swing...LOL...

I am in awe of arla, that was my New Year's Eve promise...it's gone now!! LOL...but I especially like the circuit training, you get more practical use out of it...keep training as much as your body will allow you...this last summer was my giant flare up with WG...darn near killed me and I suspect it would've if I hadn't at least been in decent shape and a bit overweight...helped me survive 10 very long days.

Al
12-03-2011, 07:30 AM

Sounds like you have a pretty good program already, though I admit to a personal preference for outdoor walking over the treadmill, simply because it is more uneven. It is true, I know, that Walla Walla can get too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer for a lot of outdoor activity. I like Don's suggestion of a PT. Unlike gym jocks, PTs have enough specialized training that they are comfortable designing programs for specialized medical situations. Good luck, and let us know how this works out for you.

Al

ArlaMo
12-03-2011, 09:47 AM
I used to love to walk outdoors, but several of the meds I'm on increase risk of skin cancer - lots of warnings about sun exposure. I'm already at higher risk with my pale skin, freckles, red hair and multiple sunburns as a child...
And I don't mind my treadmill - no cars to watch out for, no dogs chasing me, no skunk fumes :biggrin1:

Al
12-03-2011, 10:11 AM
I used to love to walk outdoors, but several of the meds I'm on increase risk of skin cancer - lots of warnings about sun exposure. I'm already at higher risk with my pale skin, freckles, red hair and multiple sunburns as a child...
And I don't mind my treadmill - no cars to watch out for, no dogs chasing me, no skunk fumes :biggrin1:

Oh, yeah--I forgot about the skunks! And you are correct about the risks of mixing prednisone and sun exposure. We on the wet side of the mountains don't have to worry so much about that. I just remember my hat always. Don just plays golf in Arizona anyway....

Al

Dirty Don
12-03-2011, 10:58 AM
WHAT! I wear a hat, sunblock sometimes (I'm darker skinned...takes sun better...go melatonin!), but I have noticed some recent excessive hair loss lately...pissin me off here!!!!!! LOL...the mtx has caught up with me evidently after about 8 weeks...sheesh!

Sangye
12-04-2011, 03:28 AM
ArlaMo, you may have to drive to find a holistic doc. When I lived in AZ I drove 3 hrs one-way once a month to my chiropractor. Here in MD it's 30 miles, but it takes half a day to get there and back because of traffic patterns. You can see a naturopathic doctor to get started on natural hormones. You don't have to go back that often for follow-ups-- maybe every 2 or 3 months in the beginning.

Your exercise program sounds great. Are you still on pred?

Al
12-04-2011, 07:57 AM
ArlaMo, you may have to drive to find a holistic doc. When I lived in AZ I drove 3 hrs one-way once a month to my chiropractor. Here in MD it's 30 miles, but it takes half a day to get there and back because of traffic patterns. You can see a naturopathic doctor to get started on natural hormones. You don't have to go back that often for follow-ups-- maybe every 2 or 3 months in the beginning.

Arla, I go to a naturopath in addition to my main "contractor", and my insurance, at least, covers it. He helps me with the overview, and is ready and willing to discuss nutrition, exercise, sleep and rest, and emotional states--in short, the whole person. (He also writes mystery novels on the side. His hero is, of course, a naturopathic detective....)These are things the regular doctors are either uncomfortable with, or like to outsource. Plus, appointments are either half an hour or a whole hour, which allows for much more conversation than your doctor can give you. If not in Walla Walla, I'm sure you can find someone in the Tri-City area.

Al

ArlaMo
12-04-2011, 11:38 AM
I am still on pred, Sangye. 5mg for several months now.

I saw a holistic doctor about a year ago - my mom recommended her and she is located in the Tri-Cities. It is a bit of a drive and also quite expensive - she doesn't take insurance. My one visit was over $700 and then she had a number of tests and labs that she wanted me to get done/send off totaling another $700. This came right before my $8000 trip to Cleveland Clinic (and that was just the clinic bill! Airfare, car rental, hotel was all additional) and then not too long after that, I had the Rituxan infusions - billed $44,000+ for two infusions. My portion was about $4,000 per infusion.

I know I just need to bite the bullet and go back, but I think I'm feeling guilty that I didn't follow through earlier. And we're also trying to plan another trip out to CC, so the whole $$ thing makes my head crazy. She's a great doctor from the time I spent with her; just need to let go of the guilt and go back :blushing: and admit I never did any of the further testing and start over, I guess.

Dang, this whole disease makes me insane. We're trying to save for a down payment on our first house and just sent off our oldest son to college (daughter will go next fall) and all the sudden, I have medical expenses up the wazoo. Bleh!

Sangye
12-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Don't feel bad about going back. I had patients who would do the same thing and I never wanted them to feel guilty. You can also work with her to figure out which tests are top priority right now. I can't imagine doing $700 worth of lab tests, especially since you already get a lot of basic blood work and labs done on a regular basis. Hormone testing for natural supplements is very inexpensive. Explain your circumstances. Holistic doctors look at the entire person and everything that affects them, so she won't ignore that source of stress for you.