PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving ,what are you thankfull for?

Red
11-24-2011, 05:18 AM
I am thankfull that even though my government thinks pizza is a vegetible and the un thinks
water isn't a cure for dehydration,I'm lucky enough to live in a country in which i have the power to make
my own decisions,now it's time to call pizza hut and order a salad...lol

My Health
My Family
My heath care

delorisdoe
11-24-2011, 05:25 AM
I am thankful that thanksgiving canada has long since come and gone and I do not have to make a turkey dinner tonight nor do I have to attend one.

Dirty Don
11-24-2011, 06:32 AM
I'm thankful...just thankful, doesn't matter what...it's been a long trip from this last August to now...yeah, just thankful...

Al
11-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Dear fellow weggies,

This eve of the national holiday that is still relatively uncommercialized, and remains close to its symbolic roots—the wider family that draws together to give thanks for what they have—I wish to reflect.

You will notice that I have changed my avatar. Partly, this is because I was getting tired of seeing my silly mug and Bailey-shrouded balding pate. The other part is that I would like to put my widened family into a geographic context. The view is from my “therapy loft”. We are at the northern edge of Puget Sound (now officially called the Salish Sea, though most people still call it Puget Sound). Looking NNW, the next island over is Waldron; then the Gulf Islands of British Columbia. In the distance (if you can make it out at low resolution) is Vancouver Island, Victoria out of view to the south.

At the south end of this great fjord lies Olympia, where Anne lives. Kirk is a little ways up the west side of Puget Sound. HypnoticEyez is in Renton, just south of Seattle, snuggled against glacier-formed Lake Washington. To the north sits the city of Vancouver. You cannot see very far north from my house; Buck Mountain gets in the way. But my walking route makes a cirle of about 3 km around the hill. Half way around, you get a pretty good look at Bellingham and Vancouver, with Mt. Baker off to the NE. Harvi lives in Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver; Jolanta is in Mission, a little further up the Fraser river. Going east across the Cascade Mountains, ArlaMo hangs out in Walla Walla, and then Vdub, quite willingly in a decidedly non-urban setting. Northwest, through the wheat fields, the timber lands, and the magnificently fruited Okanagan Valley, then north and east, we arrive at the spine of the continent, the Rockie Mountains, and the city of Jasper, where Marta resides and, when she can, skis. Back to my loft. If I could follow my view along a great circle route, I would end up is Austrailia, home to Michelle, Andrew, and others.

I'll stop my tour at this point (perhaps to hike a while, and photograph the gorgeous landscapes), But you get the idea: Our forum, our family, is “local” only in a virtual sense; geographically, we are all over the map, so to speak. The circle widens; the chain of life extends as far as we want to take it. Indeed, any physicist would tell you that we are, literally, stardust, which may be true, but we can stick a little closer to home and my point would still be valid. That you are all, now, my friends and family is a remarkable thing. I have never, to my knowledge, ever been in the same room with any of you, nor would you know my voice from that of, say, Genghis Khan (or, for that matter, Lucretia de Borgia). Yet here we are, dealing with something of a common issue, though with our own unique variations. Howbeit, it is also true that we surely have many other things in common, along with a host of differences.

In a recent New Yorker essay, Adam Gopnik uses the metaphor of Thanksgiving dinners to make a point about “widening the aesthetic circle”. Plain turkey goes only so far; why not, for instance, moo shu tofu tostadas? I see this as a good thing—not as a sign of eroding cultural values, but, rather, of growth. Out of many, one, you know. I have learned much from and with my new buddies on this mission we have been conscripted for. I am utterly thankful for you all, if not actually for the reason we are together in the first place!

Al

Dirty Don
11-24-2011, 08:04 AM
That was very nice Al...wonder IF we...meaning YOU...could somehow collect the various areas of the world we represent, then, perhaps, put a map or list or something on this site for reference? Oh, btw, it's 'albeit', not 'howbeit'....sheesh!

HypnoticEyez
11-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Among many other things I am most thankful to still be alive.

Al
11-24-2011, 08:55 AM
That was very nice Al...wonder IF we...meaning YOU...could somehow collect the various areas of the world we represent, then, perhaps, put a map or list or something on this site for reference? Oh, btw, it's 'albeit', not 'howbeit'....sheesh!

(Actually, Don, I meant howbeit, as in "in any case", or "nevertheless". Howbeit, there is a wegs map from this site. I'll see if I can find the link.)

HypnoticEyez
11-24-2011, 09:23 AM
We are at the northern edge of Puget Sound (now officially called the Salish Sea, though most people still call it Puget Sound). Looking NNW, the next island over is Waldron; then the Gulf Islands of British Columbia. In the distance (if you can make it out at low resolution) is Vancouver Island, Victoria out of view to the south.

At the south end of this great fjord lies Olympia, where Anne lives. Kirk is a little ways up the west side of Puget Sound. HypnoticEyez is in Renton, just south of Seattle, snuggled against glacier-formed Lake Washington. To the north sits the city of Vancouver. You cannot see very far north from my house; Buck Mountain gets in the way. But my walking route makes a cirle of about 3 km around the hill. Half way around, you get a pretty good look at Bellingham and Vancouver, with Mt. Baker off to the NE. Harvi lives in Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver; Jolanta is in Mission, a little further up the Fraser river. Going east across the Cascade Mountains, ArlaMo hangs out in Walla Walla, and then Vdub, quite willingly in a decidedly non-urban setting. Northwest, through the wheat fields, the timber lands, and the magnificently fruited Okanagan Valley, then north and east, we arrive at the spine of the continent, the Rockie Mountains, and the city of Jasper, where Marta resides and, when she can, skis. Back to my loft. If I could follow my view along a great circle route, I would end up is Austrailia, home to Michelle, Andrew, and others.

Puget Sound was officially changed to the Salish Sea? :unsure: How come I wasn't informed?

Al, I had no idea that there were so many PNWers with WG. On a positive note I can't say I am thankful for what brings us together as a family, but none the less I welcome all of you into my extended family. Happy Thanksgiving!

Al
11-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Puget Sound was officially changed to the Salish Sea? :unsure: How come I wasn't informed?

Al, I had no idea that there were so many PNWers with WG. On a positive note I can't say I am thankful for what brings us together as a family, but none the less I welcome all of you into my extended family. Happy Thanksgiving!

Here is the Wiki page on the Salish Sea: Salish Sea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salish_Sea)

There are several of us in te general area, plus a few, I'm sure, who haven't made their presence known. Then there is Don, a recovering Northwesterner, now living in some golf community in Arizona, of all places. Anyway, I am sure that we are all thankful to be alive and able to participate!

Al

Dirty Don
11-24-2011, 10:28 AM
THAT wasn't nice......................LOLOLOLOL...you ARE good Al...you make me laugh...good to do that...you have a talent...then again, it is 80 here today, no clouds, light breeze, blue skies...yes, thankful...very...

Dryhill
11-24-2011, 10:47 AM
I thankful that I live in the UK and that we have a free health service, especially as I was told how much four sessions of Rituximab is going to cost. Happy Thankgiving to all our ex-colonials. Do remember we will let you back in our empire when you pay the tax on the tea you ruined. :wink:

delorisdoe
11-24-2011, 10:49 AM
too much rain...but thanks anyway

drz
11-24-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm thankful...just thankful, doesn't matter what...it's been a long trip from this last August to now...yeah, just thankful...

That was my line Don. I have been home since last Fall with only one short stay in the hospital in the past year so I think I will make my goal of keep hospital days down to thirty or less this year. I feel much better than I did a year ago and am thankful for what i can still do and enjoy.

drz
11-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!

What was the vote on that name change? Was it close? I don't remember even being informed about the vote on the name change. Did you vote for it Al?

Al
11-24-2011, 02:23 PM
THAT wasn't nice......................LOLOLOLOL...you ARE good Al...you make me laugh...good to do that...you have a talent...then again, it is 80 here today, no clouds, light breeze, blue skies...yes, thankful...very...

Well, you wouldn't expect me a dyed-in-the-wool curmudgeon, to be N-I-C-E, now, would you? Anyway, I never understood the principle behind clobbering a white dimpled thing around in the blazing sun. For that matter, Ihave never understood the principle behind 80 degrees, even in the summer. Here, it's been a cozy cold rain for several days. Did I say cozy? Oh, yes, when I get the fire cranked up, and before it slurp down a fine stew with bread fresh out of the oven....That will be something to be thankful for. Who needs the blue sky...eh...?

Al
11-24-2011, 02:25 PM
I thankful that I live in the UK and that we have a free health service, especially as I was told how much four sessions of Rituximab is going to cost. Happy Thankgiving to all our ex-colonials. Do remember we will let you back in our empire when you pay the tax on the tea you ruined.

(So I hear some sniggering...?_

Al
11-24-2011, 02:31 PM
What was the vote on that name change? Was it close? I don't remember even being informed about the vote on the name change. Did you vote for it Al?

Don't recall it ever went to a vote--some committee or something, to which I was not invited. Then again there seems to be a lot of other stuff in the world no one asked my opinion about either.

Al

RudiK
11-24-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm thankful for being alive, for the WG being in remission, for having a loving and supportive wife and supportive family, and for having discovered this site and gotten to "know" all of YOU - your wisdom - your knowledge and your humor. Thank you all for being there.

Dirty Don
11-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Sighs...many good people in here...it's very welcome...thank you all...

maria garcia
11-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Al I like beter your other avatar with you picture and the hat! But this one is ok too. Just my opinion.

mishb
11-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Happy Thanksgiving Day to all of our USA friends and families.

Have a fantastic, safe and pain free day

Jaha
11-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all! I am very thankful for so much this holiday. I am very glad to have found this amazing resource. It is so very great to have freinds and family, but some how having all of you with all your vast knowledge makes my journey thru this, alot lighter. Thank you all!
Enjoy Today,
Jana

maria garcia
11-25-2011, 03:54 AM
My family including my dogs and cats. My job which has been flexible with my schedule. Im also thankful that if my daughter had this monster inside we found it when it just started and only has effected her eyes to be red and nose to be stuffed. she feels great so hopefully the monster will go back to sleep. And this year i have my forum friends from here so I don't feel alone and I have learned so much from advise to strenght and i even laugh at times form the comments. THANK YOU MY FRIENDS.

jola57
11-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Happy US Thankgiving to all

pberggren1
11-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Igualmente.

Al
11-25-2011, 02:37 PM
And we here are most thankful that our associates throughout the world have us in their thoughts.

(Thank you!)

Al

ShaniBooT
11-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Dean and I are thankful that in the middle cooking the turkey dinner our power went out. Had to end up going out to Denny's Restaurant, so we get to cook it tomorrow. Two Thanksgiving's in a row. We live in Auburn, WA.

Al
11-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Dean and I are thankful that in the middle cooking the turkey dinner our power went out. Had to end up going out to Denny's Restaurant, so we get to cook it tomorrow. Two Thanksgiving's in a row. We live in Auburn, WA.

Sorry, Barbara--I forgot to include you and Dean in my survey of Puget Sound members. (There are surely others I have not given credit to. Again, sorry!) Too bad about the power outage. I hope you could find something adequate to eat; a grand slam doesn't do it for me. If I knew you were alone, I would have given you a call!

Al

(PS Don't let this happen a third Thanksgiving....)
(PPS How is Dean doing?)

Sangye
11-26-2011, 02:42 AM
Several of us from our temple went down to the Occupy DC camps and offered them foot baths and foot massages with oil. It took huge preparation, was freezing cold and lasted many hours longer than we thought. The occupiers offered us at a place at their dinner table but we didn't want to take any food from them-- they need every morsel they can get. We listened to their incredible stories and left at about 10 pm. We were starving by then and nothing was open except for a 7-11. We got hot dogs and man, were they the best hot dogs we'd ever had! LOL It was the best Thanksgiving I've ever had. :thumbsup:

pberggren1
11-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Several of us from our temple went down to the Occupy DC camps and offered them foot baths and foot massages with oil. It took huge preparation, was freezing cold and lasted many hours longer than we thought. The occupiers offered us at a place at their dinner table but we didn't want to take any food from them-- they need every morsel they can get. We listened to their incredible stories and left at about 10 pm. We were starving by then and nothing was open except for a 7-11. We got hot dogs and man, were they the best hot dogs we'd ever had! LOL It was the best Thanksgiving I've ever had. :thumbsup:

That is awesome of you guys Sangye. I really don't understand what this whole Occupy thing is all about. Can you tell us more?

Sangye
11-26-2011, 11:21 AM
I don't want to do that here, Phil since it would be a conversation about politics. I hesitated even posted but hope people can put aside any conflicts they may have about the movement for this one post, and just see them as people who were/are in need of some TLC.

Chris G
11-26-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm thankful that with the one year anniversary of my diagnosis coming up next week, I feel SO much better than I did a year ago! Not perfect of course, and a little miffed with my complete lack of energy today, after cooking and cleaning all day yesterday. But, oh well, right?

I'm also thankful for having found this great group of people! Thank you all.

ShaniBooT
11-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Three Thanksgiving's has to be a charm. I didn't think you forgot us at all. We have been busy going to the Pollyclinc in Seattle this week as Dean has been coughing up blood again. They took a X-Ray and then a CT Scan because they could see spots on his lungs again. The doctor is going to put him on the Methotrexate 250GM Inj. We have never given shots before so it is going to be scary the first time.
We went to ENT about his nose bleeds. They found out that he has a tumor in his sinus. We were told that they couldn't operate on Wegs, so he is keeping his nose moist inside. We have a follow up with the ENT on Monday. Dean is doing pretty good after seeing docts this week. We were not by ourself's. My 92 year old Mother was here and so was our Son. So we were not alone. Just a dark house for 2 hours. We plan on this happening every year.

Thanks for thinking of us Al

Al
11-26-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't want to do that here, Phil since it would be a conversation about politics. I hesitated even posted but hope people can put aside any conflicts they may have about the movement for this one post, and just see them as people who were/are in need of some TLC.

Well done, Sangye. Thanksgiving meals and political arguments with relatives kind of go hand in hand, and can "enliven" many gatherings (but my niece is a law student, so arguing with her was a blast for both of us). Yet there are places where politics, whether feisty or mellow, are inappropriate. Sharing services and other TLC, however, is, I think, universally a good thing. I do applaud you; it would take a mighty lot of good will for me to enjoy hot dogs!

Al