PDA

View Full Version : can certain vitamins help with WG???

nessa
11-21-2011, 01:27 PM
can certain vitamins help with WG??? it seems like every time i take any kind of vitamin it makes me feel sick.. does anybody with WG get sick when they take certain vitamins or is it just me???

drz
11-21-2011, 01:40 PM
can certain vitamins help with WG??? it seems like every time i take any kind of vitamin it makes me feel sick.. does anybody with WG get sick when they take certain vitamins or is it just me???

Your physicians will usually prescribe the type of vitamin supplement they think you need. Their lab work should indicate any deficiencies in minerals that require supplements.

Al
11-21-2011, 03:08 PM

Nessa, you may just have a thing about pills in general (some days, I can hardly stand to slop mine down). The kidneys and liver deal with most of the various chemicals you digest; unless these organs are really stressed, and unless you have allergic reactions, it is probably not the specific vitamins that are causing you grief. Still, this is worth mentioning to your doc when you get a chance.

Al

jola57
11-21-2011, 04:12 PM
There are a host of vitamins and supplements that you should NOT take with wegs treatment or when you have wegs. I am sure Sangye will let you know soon all the types that are "verbotten" (forbidden) I take calcium, for the bones, vit B6 and B12, and folate to counteract side effects from methotrexate.

maria garcia
11-21-2011, 04:37 PM
vitamin D and fish oil and a probiotic, folic acid

maria garcia
11-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Nothing that boost your Immune system.

jola57
11-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Yes, I forgot about the vit D which I also take. I don't like fish oild but I make a point to eat fish regularly.

Al
11-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Yes, I forgot about the vit D which I also take. I don't like fish oild but I make a point to eat fish regularly.

Good, but watch out for the mercury....

Al

norcalian
11-22-2011, 06:48 AM
I couple of months ago, my rheumy suggested I start taking Ubiquinol CoQH with Kaneka (you can buy it through VitaCost). Shortly after I started taking it, my energy levels improved noticeably (it might also been that my treatments started kicking in as well - or the healing process got to a good place). Last week I ran out and had to order some more...but went a few days without them. My energy levels seemed to suffer (might have been a placebo effect...or the fact that I started back to work full-time). Take it for what it's worth - they aren't hurting...and I think they may be helping in regards to my energy levels -- which is something that really suffered with this disease.

Sangye
11-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Nessa, I recommend that people see holistic doctors for their nutritional supplements. Not only do they carry better quality supplements, but they will determine the ones that you actually need. Medical doctors have no training in that. I don't ask my chiropractor to do surgery, and I don't ask my medical doctor to guide my nutritional concerns.

There are many reasons for a vitamin causing upset stomach. A holistic doc can figure it out.

gunnyl
11-22-2011, 02:16 PM
I take a multivitamin mix in addition to the Citracal Plus D of course that my Rheumy prescribed. Hasn't made me sick other than the vitamins smell like rotten eggs and are hell to get down. Got the recommendation from some Cancer Patients that were on the Cytoxan for of course a different reason. The vitamins are by NutraScriptives and since I was able to lower the Beta Blockers (Metoprolol) I am getting my strength back. Can't tell you if they really help or not but they haven't hurt. I am in Remission 3 1/2 Months into Treatment! with no flares so far. I might also add that I juice fruits and vegetables and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables as well in addition to the vitamins. Figured it can't hurt to eat some healthy foods while I'm dosing my body with all these poisons!

jola57
11-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Wow gunnyl that is wonderful. I was stopped from taking ctx after 3 months and quickly, 2 weeks later, flared. So its good to know that you are doing so well. Veggies and fruits also have negative effect on some of the treatments we have, so take Sangye,s advise and see a holistic doc just to make sure you are not taking somethig that's counteractive.