PDA

View Full Version : tour of Mayo Clinic.

drz
11-18-2011, 02:11 PM
I know several readers here also go to Mayo Clinic on a regular basis but wonder how many have taken the tours they offer?. Today I had a few hours between early fasting labs and late afternoon appointments so I took on of the tours about the Mayo Clinic and watched an hour movie about its history. It was very interesting to me since i like history and visiting museums and historical places. Many people actually come to tour the Mayo Clinic without being patients because of its historical importance. It was the first and is the largest non-profit integrated group medical practice in the country (world?).

Some interesting miscellaneous factual stuff i still remember. Their latest fund raising efforts raised 1 and 1/4 BILLION dollars. They have a special wall for people and organizations that donate 10 million or more. Another wall for people who donate over $100,000 and a computer program for the rest who donate $1000 or more. Most of their money is actually raised from such smaller donations.

WW Mayo ended up in Rochester MN because President Lincoln appointed him to examine recruits for MN division of the Union Army. His wife got settled here and she refused to move again. His children started helping with operations done on the kitchen table in their home when they were still in single digits so it was natural and assume they would also become doctors. They were pioneers in many medical fields, especially using antiseptic procedures for surgeries, and developing the first machine to permit open heart surgery. The Mayo brothers became very rich and famous but donated all their wealth to the creating a world class clinic that could do research pioneer medical advances. Many Presidents have served on their Board, been patients, and friends. HW Bush was only President name that I found on list of Benefactors though. Barbara probably pushed it though since she was on the Board of Trustees too.

Many impressive stories though through the history and building. I liked the story of the blind (Gordon Gund) sculpturer who donated a salmon sculpture designed to be touched and it had a sign next to it in braille and English. He was very successful businessman and owned several major leagues sports teams and made donations to Mayo Clinic.

Many testimonials and moving speeches of people who owed their life to care they received at Mayo along with many collections of great art. I didn't have time today to do the art tour but maybe next time. They certainly excel at creating a pleasant atmosphere tht is relaxing since that was one of the Mayos' early tenets.

One sad thing is seeing many people, especially young children with very disfiguring medical conditions, and wondering about their stories and how they are coping. And of course many of the people who don't look that sick also have equally or worse tales of medical woe which reminded me of how lucky I was to be able to be well enough today to walk around and see these things that i could not do a year ago.

Al
11-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Great report--thanks!

Dirty Don
11-18-2011, 06:18 PM
It is true, Mayo excels at making seriously ill people feel much better, not just physically, but many other aspects such as confidence, efficiency, organization, and so on. I am fortunate to be near the PHX Clinic & Hospital. And, it seems, the Mayo staff loves a challenge, so they are all over me! LOL...

The hospital and clinic also have an incredible ambience about them...obviously a pointed remark at medical care. Mayo is accepted by most medical ins. And, the news on their dropping of Medicare is only partially true according to my doc...the Family & Community programs are no longer accessible thru Medicare, but individual docs are still acccepted. Just a tidbit for those considering them.

drz
11-19-2011, 01:14 PM
It is true, Mayo excels at making seriously ill people feel much better, not just physically, but many other aspects such as confidence, efficiency, organization, and so on. I am fortunate to be near the PHX Clinic & Hospital. And, it seems, the Mayo staff loves a challenge, so they are all over me! LOL...

The hospital and clinic also have an incredible ambience about them...obviously a pointed remark at medical care. Mayo is accepted by most medical ins. And, the news on their dropping of Medicare is only partially true according to my doc...the Family & Community programs are no longer accessible thru Medicare, but individual docs are still acccepted. Just a tidbit for those considering them.

I was reading one of their info brochures while waiting and it said they will bill out for Medicare but no longer accept Medicare assignment except for in state residents so other patients will have to pay balance due but it seems that for routine lab work their costs are comparable to any local clinic.
The problem is that Medicare is getting more stringent every year as to what they will pay for and is no way near the coverage I had before I had to go on Medicare for my primary coverage.

drz
11-19-2011, 01:26 PM
I was thinking how the Mayo brothers and their father would be amazed at the technology used in medical care today since they were pioneers and early adapters of much use of medical technology. On the other hand I think they would be dismayed about the loss of some of their basic tenets of their mission statement. Originally their emphasis was on doing a very thorough examination regardless of time or cost needed and one hundred years ago no one was ever turned down for treatment for any reason including ability to pay. The patients best interest was the only consideration and the emphasis was on quality of care and nothing else. I think they still do much better than many assembly line medical care clinics with an emphasis on numbers but they have also had to make concessions to the original mission statement in terms of finances and eligibility for services. I think they still do a lot charity medical services, probably more than most places and are considered by health care reformers like BO and Hilary as examples to emulated.

Dryhill
11-20-2011, 01:24 AM
It is good to learn that such philanthropy still exists in the world. Last night was the culmination of the UK's tv station BBC1 yearly fund raiser "Children in Need". By 1am they had raised over £22m and normally in thed next month or so, that amount gets doubled by individuals and groups doing fund raising. The best bit of all is , ALL the money gets to the children who need help.

In this time of doom and gloom in the busiuness world I find it restores my faith in human nature, not all people or businesses are greedy.

Palmyra
11-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Great subject, as I will be happy to crow about what a wonderful place the Mayo Clinic is, and how much it has meant to my family. My daughter was diagnosed there in 2006, and even with the expense of travel from across the country to get there, and paying for lodging, it has been well worth every penny. The care is utterly comprehensive, and collaborative between all specialities in medicine, and not for profit to boot. I do not know of another facility like it in the states, or as you mentioned possibly world wide. The art collections are largely donated from thankful recipients of its care, and give the weary, scared patient or caregiver beauty and respite from concern and woe. I have cried in those gardens on several occasions, only to be shorn up by seeing so many others walking the beautiful, high lobby of the main hospital, with issues and concerns of a greater magnitude.

The great news is the doctors that practice there know what a wonderful place it is, and come to work knowing they could earn much more financially by locating elsewhere, but stay because they earn far more valuable lessons by practicing in that setting. Many kudos and high fives to Mayo, and may that model for the practice of medicine spread to all corners.

drz
11-20-2011, 09:29 AM
This reads like one of the quote from one of their grateful benefactors. Are you on their wall of benefactors under a different name?:smile1:

Great subject, as I will be happy to crow about what a wonderful place the Mayo Clinic is, and how much it has meant to my family. My daughter was diagnosed there in 2006, and even with the expense of travel from across the country to get there, and paying for lodging, it has been well worth every penny. The care is utterly comprehensive, and collaborative between all specialities in medicine, and not for profit to boot. I do not know of another facility like it in the states, or as you mentioned possibly world wide. The art collections are largely donated from thankful recipients of its care, and give the weary, scared patient or caregiver beauty and respite from concern and woe. I have cried in those gardens on several occasions, only to be shorn up by seeing so many others walking the beautiful, high lobby of the main hospital, with issues and concerns of a greater magnitude.

The great news is the doctors that practice there know what a wonderful place it is, and come to work knowing they could earn much more financially by locating elsewhere, but stay because they earn far more valuable lessons by practicing in that setting. Many kudos and high fives to Mayo, and may that model for the practice of medicine spread to all corners.