PDA

View Full Version : Methotrexate vs. Azathioprine

capabayan
04-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Well, it's been a while since I've been on here... things have actually been pretty stable for me for the last six months, and at my appointment yesterday my rheumy brought up the idea of switching me from cytoxan to either methotrexate or azathioprine. We talked about some of the differences (like how long they've been in use and major risks like cancer), but I was wondering if there were any sites that compared the two, or if any of you could give me advice on why one might be a better choice. We're doing some extra blood tests before we decide, but it seems like either one would be a good option for now.

pberggren1
04-03-2009, 09:40 AM
I believe that Methotrexate is more toxic and possibly had some factor in my hearing loss.

Over and Out,
Phil of the north

jola57
04-03-2009, 05:00 PM
I am to go on aziathioprine in June, my rheumy thinks there is more positive literature on aza than methotrexate. both have possible side effects: aziathropine may cause leukemia, lymphoma or skin cancer, most common chills, fever, tiredness, paifnful urination; mathotrexate may cause leukopenia, stomach problems, chills, fever, infertility, miscarriage, nausea, tiredness. so take your pick. No easy answers which to take

Jack
04-04-2009, 12:19 AM
The regime I have been treated with during flare ups has been -
Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan) for as short a period as possible. Then a move to Azathiopine until it seemed to be under full control. Then finally Mycophenolate.

andrew
04-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Azathioprine (Imuran) is definitely the gentler of the two for sure. The most common side-effect that I've heard of is nausea. I've been on it for about four years now with no side-effects as far as I can tell. Very happy with it as it seems to be keeping a lid on my ANCA.