PDA

View Full Version : R.A.

Chris G
11-04-2011, 01:58 AM
My friend was just tested for RA today due to pain and swelling in her toe joints. Does anyone know if the test for RA is difinitive? Or are the resstults ambiguous like our ANCA tests? No I do not know exactly what tests they did. She's not one to ask questions (not unlike another friend i know:wink1:). She just said they drew blood.

Thanks for any input.

delorisdoe
11-04-2011, 02:30 AM
I think it is difinitive.

freakyschizogirl
11-04-2011, 05:18 AM
My mum's RA tests were pretty definitive - but they can be mis-leading.

Her inflammation markers can be low and yet she is still in a great deal of pain or very stiff (not to mention the water retention in her feet)

Chris G
11-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks girls!

Chris G
11-04-2011, 10:12 AM
My mum's RA tests were pretty definitive - but they can be mis-leading.

Her inflammation markers can be low and yet she is still in a great deal of pain or very stiff (not to mention the water retention in her feet)

I assume the markers are like ours right? ESR & CRP? Or is there another specific to ra?

delorisdoe
11-04-2011, 10:24 AM
I though they test for the rf rhuematoid factor?

Sangye
11-04-2011, 11:36 AM
My friend was just tested for RA today due to pain and swelling in her toe joints. Does anyone know if the test for RA is difinitive? Or are the resstults ambiguous like our ANCA tests? No I do not know exactly what tests they did. She's not one to ask questions (not unlike another friend i know:wink1:). She just said they drew blood.

Thanks for any input.
No the tests are not definitive. RF has many false negatives. People who've had malaria in the past can even have a false negative. It can take a few years to get a definitive RA dx unless the disease onset is very distinctive.