PDA

View Full Version : Hello & Goodbye For Now

Chadwyck
11-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Hi Forum. This is only my second day using this forum but I wanted to wish all Wegener's patients the best of treatment, feeling well, and get back to living life the way things were prior to knowing your Wegener's disease status.

I just got the call I've been waiting for from the university hospital here in London, Ontario. My new re-scheduled surgery date is in the next day and a half... this coming Thursday at 8:00AM! I have to be there by 6:00AM so just for today and tomorrow I'll be online using the forum.

As I posted in my first thread yesterday, because of the anemia I was born with, "Alpha Thalassemia Minor" it posed as a threat with faster bone deterioration to my prednisone intake. It did, unfortunately, damaged my left hip bone (avascular necrosis) requiring me to have a partial hip replacement. I have no idea how long it will take to heal. The office did advise me today that because it's only a resurfacing surgery and I'm only 39, there's a very good chance I'll heal a lot quicker than their average patient.

What is very interesting is out of all Wegener's patients they've treated since day 1, they've never had to give a Wegener's patient a hip replacement as a side effect! Even though they tell you about the bone deterioration side effect up front, they already know that prednisone takes at least a couple of years from constant use to cause this. So, now I'm thinking... how many Wegener's patients other than myself have thalassemia? If Wegener's is 1 in 30,000 to 1 in 50,000... what range am I in for Wegener's hip replacements out of all treated patients?? What is so special about me that makes the doctor's eyes pop open wide like I have 3 heads on my shoulders?? :ohmy: They seem to be more stunned with this result more than me.:w00t:

If I'm ok enough to be online on Friday, I will definitely be back on this site. I really like it here, so much support in only a 24 hour period of time. Thank you all!

Chadwyck

Rose
11-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Good luck with the op. it sounds like the op my husband had 3 years ago. He doesn't have WG...just an arthritic hip caused by genes, old age and wear and tear. It was a great success and he was back on the tennis courts within about 6 months. His only regret is that he should have had the op much sooner than he did.

Chadwyck
11-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks Rose. Initally, the surgeon said I was too young for this and to wait as long as possible. That part I understood. What was disturbing was the thought of being on crutches for an additional 21 years to meet up to his expectations... ummm.... NO WAY! hahahaha You're right, the sooner the better. I wouldn't want to be doing this as a retirement gift by putting it off. We need to enjoy life while we have it.

Sangye
11-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Best of luck, Chadwyck. :thumbsup:

vdub
11-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Good luck and let us know how things turn out..... Speedy recovery.....

kulharv
11-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi Chadwyck,

best of luck with surgery and a speedy recovery!

Al
11-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Do well, Chadwyck. Please give us a report when you can!

Al

Chadwyck
11-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm sure things will be a speedy recovery. I was definitely feeling good when I got off the phone with the hosptial. After being told that being young and my body size (hips to be exact) doesn't have too much flesh to heal. The only threat to it now is being on immunosuppressants causing natural after surgery infections. I could get infections just from immuno compromised. But with my luck, I normally beat odds. I'm tough that way. I'll be sure to let you all know how things are going even while I'm there. I'm just copying all my movies and current E-Mails to my notebook computer, bringing extra DVDs and a tonne of snacks to kill the boredom. Pain killers will put me to sleep easily.

HypnoticEyez
11-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Wishing you the best, Chadwyck. :thumbsup:

renidrag
11-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Good luck Chadwyck, all will be well
Dale

rif
11-03-2011, 12:49 AM
All the best Chadwyck.

Chris G
11-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Good luck! Get back to us as soon as you can!

HopeinTN
11-03-2011, 05:47 AM
I hope you have a very speedy recovery and infection free!