PDA

View Full Version : Wegener's had me, now I have it!

Chadwyck
11-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. My name is Chadwyck and I'm from London, Ontario, Canada. After reading so many posts in the forum I finally feel relieved that other people know what I mean when we're talking about Wegener's. For the past three years I've been sicker than ever. It all started out with a teary left eye. I thought it was because of the humidity in the summer of 2008, I didn't question it. It got so bad I had to have surgery on my tear duct April 2009. Two months later, the other eye gave me the same problem. The opthamologist who did my surgery on the left eye told me that surgery on the other side won't help either. He suspected Wegener's and put it on my medical records. If it wasn't for the insurance company for my work nagging me about "what did the doctor say" stuff, I would have never looked at my medical file seeing a suspicion that Wegener's Granulomatosis was a posing issue. Thanks to www.google.ca (http://www.google.ca) I looked up Wegener's and found out it was a rare type of vasculitis. I didn't know what vasculitis was either so I had to look that up as well.

After seeing what it was and all the symptoms I had over a two year period, I believed what I was reading. Considering the doctor saw crusting in my nose when I was getting my tear duct operated on, he too was suspicious. He also heard wheezing in my breathing when I was in the recovery room and told my mom to get me to an ENT. By October 2009, my kidneys got involved in the picture when my ankles hurt so much. What used to be a five minute walk to work down the road ended up being forty minutes each way. I ended up seeing a nephrologist and she needed a urine sample. After seeing both blood and protein in my test result in addition to the notes from the opthamologist, she too was convinced Wegener's was the culprit of all of this. So far we're 80% sure it's Wegner's but we needed proof. I was starting to feel emotionally fine knowing that there's a name to the I don't feel well statement. Finally the ENT did the biopsy of the nasal cavity first, then the nephrologist started me on prednisone and methotrexate while we were waiting for the lab results. They were so sure it was Wegener's they didn't want me to wait for the results since my kidneys were in the picture. Five weeks later, the test did in fact confirm I had Wegener's.

It was quite a long journey for me. The prednisone did get rid of the inflamation but the methotrexate was too weak to do anything but keep the Wegener's at bay. When I started tapering off the prednisone, Wegener's decided to show me it was in charge. So the nephrologist put me on cyclophosphamide in September 2010 to January 2011. By March of this year, I was finally in remission! The bad part is, because I was born with Alpha Thalassemia minor, the anemia I was born with "allowed" the prednisone to destroy my bones quicker. I was taking calcium prior to treatment to prevent this from happening but it still happened. I started on 60 mg of prednisone per day for the first 30 days and tapered down like I was told to. I was only on it for seven and a half months and it still caused me to get avascular necrosis of the left hip. Now, I'm waiting for a hip replacement as a result of the prednisone damage. Hey, I didn't call 911 reporting my hip missing nor stolen, but yet it has to be replaced. Go figure!

Thanks to the amazing work by the team of doctors I was seeing, now I'm in remission a year and a half later. I get the odd "mini flares" here and there but nothing as bad as when it was first suspected. As far as I'm concerned, I was already heading down death lane and now that I have it under control I've moved over to the life lane giving it another go. I know a lot of you may feel like Wegener's has had the best of you but there's hope for you to have the best of it. Doctors kept telling me that this is a fatal illness that can kill me if not treated. I understand that people have died from it even after treatment. We're all different and respond different to treatment. I look at it this way, if it can kill me, why didn't it? Maybe Wegener's is afraid of me and went to sleep, I don't know!

When people ask me what do I have, I either say Wegener's Granulomatosis or vasculitis but none of them know what I'm talking about. At least in this forum, you all do so I'm glad I signed up here. All the best to you Weggies out there!

Chadwyck

Chris G
11-01-2011, 05:48 AM
Welcome! And thanks for your story. It will give hope to many people here who may be facing the worst of it, and feeling like they're losing the battle. With the proper team of docs and the proper treatment, most of us can live next-to-normal lives. We just have to keep on top of this beast going forward!

Al
11-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Welcome, Chadwyck--glad you found us. All cases of Wegener's are different, but your story of discovery is typical. Many of us feel like we've put ourselves through a good portion of medical school in the process! You are correct that most people, including many doctors, have no idea about ANCA vasculitis. It was good the eye guy noted it.

Anemia is a real problem with the standard treatments, which are hard on the bone marrow. I hope your nephrologist is giving you EPO shots time to time. Keep us advised as to your progress!

Al

Chadwyck
11-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Thanks Chris! And Al, yes they just started giving me the EPO shots a few weeks ago to prevent needing a blood transfusion after the hip surgery. They didn't give it to me all the years I've known I have thalassemia because it's minor and minors like myself don't require any treatment. It only makes me tired sometimes. It only poses as a threat to other things like prednisone. My hemoglobin is low, yes. But it's not life threatening low. For the past 20 years I've been sitting at a hemoglobin of 105-115. It is, however, low enough for prednisone intake in different doses to start doing damage like it did.

delorisdoe
11-01-2011, 06:40 AM
I went to western university-i am pretty sure I was flaring my first two years. I love london it is my favorite city in ontario.

Chris G
11-01-2011, 06:47 AM
I went to western university-i am pretty sure I was flaring my first two years. I love london it is my favorite city in ontario.

Not to hyjack this thread, but Leigh........I don't think I ever told you that my Mom grew up in London, Ontario. Small world, eh? Yeah, I said it again.

Chadwyck
11-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Hijacking my thread...Chris, I love it!!! You are awesome! hahahhaa

Chris G
11-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Hee hee. Leigh tells me you live right in between us - I'm in Michigan, she's........well I won't give away her location. But you get the idea.

delorisdoe
11-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Hijacking my thread...Chris, I love it!!! You are awesome! hahahhaa

Love london. Love it.

Chadwyck
11-01-2011, 07:34 AM
So if you're in Michigan and I'm between you & Leigh....hmmm... she said she loves "Ontario" which tells me she's not in my province, I'm going to guess she's in Québec.

Dryhill
11-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Chadwyck welcome to the Forum. I visited your London back in the summer of 1968.

I really liked Canada and considered emigrating, but my sister had already done so and I was not happy living again in the same country as dear sis.

Sangye
11-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi Chadwyck, welcome to the group! Gosh, my heart fell when I saw that you need a hip replacement. What a terrible complication to have with Wegs. I hope it goes well when you have it done.

maria garcia
11-01-2011, 04:37 PM
What a journey! Im glad your doing better and your positive attitude will help you. Welcome to the forum. Ive also had a hard time explaining to my family about vasculities. When they hear chemo , organs, and remission they are convinced is cancer. Even when I just say a rare Auto Immune disorder they still don't understand.

Dirty Don
11-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Welcome Chadwyck...ask lots of questions, tell lots of your experiences, and be patient and determined!

delorisdoe
11-01-2011, 05:43 PM
So if you're in Michigan and I'm between you & Leigh....hmmm... she said she loves "Ontario" which tells me she's not in my province, I'm going to guess she's in Québec.

Boo hiss to quebec. I said I love london. I live in ontario, london is aprox half of the way to chris from where I live. London is two hours from me driving the speed limit.:drool:

kulharv
11-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Chadwyck,

Welcome to the forum. Your positive attitude is wonderful and will definitely help. Good luck with everything!

Harvi

Chadwyck
11-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Oh ok, Leigh. Sorry I thought the message posted was that I live between the two of you. Not you between us. So my next guess then for a 2 hour drive going towards Michigan would be WINDSOR, ONTARIO!

Chadwyck
11-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Thank you Harvi. Positive attitude helps me in sales, in recovery, pretty much in everything. I've learned quickly that negativity doesn't heal Wegener's, it just adds to the annoying complications that won't go away.

Sangye
11-02-2011, 03:33 AM
What a journey! Im glad your doing better and your positive attitude will help you. Welcome to the forum. Ive also had a hard time explaining to my family about vasculities. When they hear chemo , organs, and remission they are convinced is cancer. Even when I just say a rare Auto Immune disorder they still don't understand.
Maria, when I explain the use of chemo for Wegs I tell people: With cancer the chemo is used to kill cancer cells. But in Wegs there is nothing to kill. Chemo is used only because it has the side effect we need: it suppresses the immune system.

marta
11-02-2011, 04:14 AM
Welcome Chadwyck to the greatest thinktank on Wegener's in the world. I am certain there is no other place that has the Wegener's-centric discussions to the degree that this place does. The people, ideas, and positive attitude here have brought me back from the brink on more than one occasion. I've been feeling more like my old self and with that have come back the responsibilities that were in my world before I got sick, so I've been very absent from the forum (haven't even been doing my old drive-by glancings at the computer like I use to) but I'm glad that the circle continues and it continues to help in connecting us strange birds from around the world. Hope all goes well with the hip and the stupid complications of our stupid drugs.

Sangye, you have such a wonderful way of expressing complex ideas and I hope you don't mind if I steal the one you just mentioned above. I'm heading out to the city tomorrow to do an interview for a health segment on TV for Wegener's and I love how you put that. If you have any other ways of explaining aspects of this disease for the layman in minimal wordage please feel free to send em my way - you can PM me or start a new thread so that I don't hijack Chadwyck's thread with this - and I'll use your words - I can be your puppet. ha ha ha

Again, welcome Chadwyck, hope the road from here is nothing but good news and recovery.

Chris G
11-02-2011, 04:26 AM
Oh ok, Leigh. Sorry I thought the message posted was that I live between the two of you. Not you between us. So my next guess then for a 2 hour drive going towards Michigan would be WINDSOR, ONTARIO!

NOPE! Wrong again. You ARE in between Leigh and I. I live in southeast michigan - I'm actually closer to Windsor than you are! She's 2 hours NE of you.

Chadwyck
11-02-2011, 05:00 AM
2 hours north east of me... Brampton? Toronto? Milton? Streetsville? Orangeville? LOL

Chadwyck
11-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Thank you so much Marta! I'm slow at replying because I have been reading quite a bit about what other Wegener's patients have been dealing with. Sometimes I have to wonder why I complained before my diagnosis!? I didn't lose any important organs and yet, people who have Limited Wegener's have had some major problems I can't even comprehend. The old saying is, what makes one person cry makes someone else laugh. It does, in fact, affect us all different.