PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin d

maria garcia
10-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Has anyone here seen a corelation between Vitamin D and Anca (vasculities). My daughter has had 4 Anca blood panels the two times she has been on Vitamin D the result were negative. And the two times she wasn't taking it the Anca was positive. Just a random thought.

delorisdoe
10-31-2011, 01:04 PM
vitamin d has its benefits...i only wish it was a cure for wegeners

pberggren1
10-31-2011, 01:15 PM
This is interesting Inez. Maybe Sangye can shed some more light on this.

maria garcia
10-31-2011, 02:05 PM
How are you feeling Phil? When are you going to have your procedure on your lung? Do you take vitamin D?

Al
10-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Has anyone here seen a corelation between Vitamin D and Anca (vasculities). My daughter has had 4 Anca blood panels the two times she has been on Vitamin D the result were negative. And the two times she wasn't taking it the Anca was positive. Just a random thought.

Things can be correlative without being causative, but this is a suggestive observation, Maria--thanks for sharing it!

Vitamin D is a complex hormone. About its use as a supplement, even the professionals give conflicting advice. Part of the confusion, I think, comes from the fact that the form usually used in supplements (and the form usually tested for) is not the form that the body actually uses. This form, rarely tested for, is produced mainly by the kidneys. So it is possible, with stressed kidneys, to have good vitamin D results in the blood test, yet have a deficiency in what the body needs. And all this confusion is exacerbated by the advice to prednisone users (i.e., almost all of us), who are advised to limit exposure to sun--sunlight being the main instigator of vitamin D in the body.

As far as correlations are concerned, it is known that some forms of autoimmune disease --MS in particular--cluster in northern latitudes, which have less sunlight. Again, this does not imply causation, but it does suggest a great field for research.

Al

mishb
10-31-2011, 11:19 PM
I have been taking Vit D supplements since 2009 and my first ANCA test was in August 2010 which was positive, same with 2nd & 3rd
Have never stopped taking Vit D and my last ANCA test October 2011 was negative.

pberggren1
11-01-2011, 03:59 AM
How are you feeling Phil? When are you going to have your procedure on your lung? Do you take vitamin D?

I have not received a call yet from Calgary so I still don't know when I will get to see the doc. I would think that I will have to see him first, then do a bronchoscopy, then do the surgery. So I may have to make 3 trips to Calgary.

I take 4,000 IU of Vitamin D a day.

drz
11-01-2011, 08:46 AM
So what dosage are people taking? I started with 50,000 units of Vitamin D once a week when in the hospital but after my return home I was told by my local doctors and pharmacist that was a waste since the body can't use that much at one time except when your body is seriously depleted like when I was in-patient. Now I take 1000-2000 daily and my lab work suggests that is sufficient.

Sangye
11-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Maria, yes there is a correlation between vitamin D and autoimmune diseases. No one would suggest that vitamin D could cure an AI disease, but it certainly seems to help control them. Pain levels are also much lower when your D levels are in normal range.

It's important to have the D levels checked every month. I have to take 10,000 IU per day to stay in range. I take a high-quality professional brand, in a form that is well-absorbed and utilized. OTC forms and prescription forms are not good.

maria garcia
11-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks Sangye any brand suggestions? I Know there is no magic pill. Maybe someday in the near future.

Sangye
11-02-2011, 03:41 AM
I use a brand called Biotics. It's a professional brand, meaning you can only buy it through a health care professional (usually only holistic doctors will carry those). With the internet you might be able to find it via Amazon or something but I really discourage that. You should have a holistic doctor's guidance when using most supplements. Even I-- a holistic doctor-- consult with my holistic doctors on my care.