PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back on Track

Stephanie78
10-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Since John has been doing well, I have been crazy busy with work and having a family, which means I have not time for the internet (Can I get a BOOOOO!)
John seems to be doing really well. Kimberlee (our 8 yr old) was sick a couple of weeks ago. We thought it was just a random fever (We assumed that because that is what the doctor told us). After a week of a fever between 102-104 we called another doctor and had her checked out. Of course (with our luck) she was diagnosed with Pneumonia. Not the one that John was immunized against but the other Cantagious one! Just wonderful! 1 - our poor child had been that sick and the first doctor didn't realize it. 2- John had been around her all week! SO I called his doctor at UNC and they treated him with a round of antibiotics just to be preventitive. Luckily he never had any issues.

He isn't allowed to go back to work until after the "winter sick" months which means he is BORED. But having dinner ready when I get home and not having to do laundry on the weekends....I'm getting a little spoiled!

He is still tapering off of Prednisone (He should be off completly by the end of November) and is tapering Cytoxan (should be completly off that in the next couple of weeks). He goes back on Thursday (11-3) to see Dr Falk in Chapel Hill and we should know more on his condition then. Last visit his ANCA was negative (YAY).

He lost his mom to Ovarian Cancer a month ago today. That was a rough time. You all know (the ones who have WG) how it effects your moods, and I was really concerned on if it would set him back emotionally and mentally. He handled it a lot better then I imagined (Probably better then I would have if it were my mom).

We are heading in the our favorite time of year (Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas). I hope it brings healing for us all.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragment and messages. I'm not sure how I would have made it mentally without a group of "strangers" who knew what my husband was going thru that I felt comfortable bitching to every now and then. (By the way the strangers have become friends).

delorisdoe
10-29-2011, 01:39 AM
YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bet you thought youd never get to this point. good luck with the winter months.

Sangye
10-29-2011, 01:49 AM
It's great to hear how well John is doing, Stephanie. Thank you for keeping us updated. Don't feel guilty about not being on much-- we appreciate hearing from you whenever you have time. :smile1:

Psyborg
10-29-2011, 01:58 AM
Great news, thanks for the update :)

maria garcia
10-29-2011, 04:48 AM
Im so happy for your family. Thank you for coming by and sharing. It brings hope to alot of us here in the blog.

Chris G
10-29-2011, 07:17 AM
I'm THRILLED to hear how well John is doing! Enjoy your family time (and your temporary housekeeper! )

NicShaf
10-29-2011, 10:02 AM
That is WONDERFUL news! Thanks for updating us, and sharing the good news, it's always nice to hear. I hope the holidays go well for all of you.

mishb
10-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Wonderful news indeed.

His baby steps appear to now be running steps....running in the right directions.

It's terrific that he will nearly be off all med's. We would love to hear from him sometime about his journey.

Take care of everyone

Al
10-29-2011, 02:12 PM
This is great, Stephanie! I can relate to the kitchen stuff. I found it therapeutic to shop and cook for my wife, who usually teaches until late, and appreciates the lights on and the aromas coming from the kitchen. I also understand the boredom part. My own way of looking at this is that we get used to a certain size of universe. When this contracts, which it does (often acutely and severely) when we get a major ailment. That is to say, doors close. We need alternate doors, and we need them quickly. Otherwise, there is the danger of a downward spiral. Cooking is, of course, one alternate, but there are others. There are always more doors, until there aren't. The trick is in finding them. A sick person usually needs help with this. You sound like a pretty good door finder!

Al