PDA

View Full Version : Sleep and immune system

Dryhill
10-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Today on the BBC's Radio 4 there was a fifteen minute programme about sleep -"explores the mysteries of sleep through a mix of poetry, history and interviews". It went on how the brain needs to sleep in order to function correctly, but it also mentioned that the auto immune system also needed sleep to recharge itself.

I had never heard about the immune system needing to sleep, but I suppose that is why so many of us weggies feel tired. If our immune system is not working correctly it is probably trying to get us to have a sleep. Any thoughts/comments?

mama2005
10-25-2011, 10:13 AM
interesting. never heard that but I could see because the immune system is over avtive.

malin
10-25-2011, 10:36 PM
I think also because as mama2005 said the immune system is over-active it is basically trying to "fight" all the time, albeit it's fighting itself... but imagine if you had an infection/virus/cold what ever it might be, your immune system would work hard to fight it so that we get better. This obviously must use quite a bit of energy, thus making you tired when you are ill? (pls correct if im wrong, im just kinda thinking "aloud" lol)

Anyway, so if your immune system thinks that you have something it needs to fight ALL THE TIME then that would be why we get the fatigue/tiredness when Wegs is lurking around? Then does our immune system ever really get a change to "recharge" or does it work around the clock?

KimH
10-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Seven Reasons to Practice Meditation - Dr. Weil's Daily Tip (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/TIP04234/Seven-Reasons-to-Practice-Meditation.html)

Sleep is so important for me. Meditation can help too. Here's a the link from today news letter from Dr. Weil. I found a website that has free meditations called, "fragrantheart.com". Check it out. I do not meditate often enough. I have fallen asleep listening to woman's voice who guides the meditations on this site.

Psyborg
10-26-2011, 04:35 AM
That definitely makes sense. I've had a ton of issues with being tired since getting Wegs. I had mostly chalked them up to medications when I wasn't actively flaring. I can say I get WAY more tired when I'm flaring.

drz
10-26-2011, 06:15 AM
That definitely makes sense. I've had a ton of issues with being tired since getting Wegs. I had mostly chalked them up to medications when I wasn't actively flaring. I can say I get WAY more tired when I'm flaring.

How does one tell the difference between "normal fatigue" from GPA and med side effects, and a flare? To me they all feel about the same. With the flare I usually have some other new problem, blood in nasal rinse or elevated markers on labs. If my meds have changed or are changing I consider that as possible cause for fatigue or new pain. To me this is a large part of stress of trying to manage GPA and my diabetes too. High BG or too low can also cause more fatigue for me.

Kami
10-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Lately my body does not want to get up in the morning for work. I can hit the snooze alarm a 100 times but my eyes just don't want to open.

Rose Cozzette
10-26-2011, 08:01 AM
so very true abt sleep, between the meds, preds in particular, and WG itself, felt like I didnt sleep for a long time. now I sleep sometimes up to 5 hrs but that is rare, mostly 2-3 hrs and wake often in the night. still need a nap almost daily. zzzzzz