PDA

View Full Version : Forks over Knives documentary

elephant
10-17-2011, 04:38 AM
I recently watched the documetary "Forks over Knives", it was basically about how Diary and meat cause cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure and some autoimmune diseases. It is a really much see, one of the docs is from Cleveland Clinic, on the of top Hospitals in America. So after watching this, I am a vegetarian.

pberggren1
10-17-2011, 05:58 AM
I recently watched the documetary "Forks over Knives", it was basically about how Diary and meat cause cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure and some autoimmune diseases. It is a really much see, one of the docs is from Cleveland Clinic, on the of top Hospitals in America. So after watching this, I am a vegetarian.

you are seriously not going to eat meat any more after watching this? I hope you realize that the bad meats are the ones that are GMO, antibioc fed and hormone fed, etc. you can get meats that are free range and don't have all the crap that most store bought meat has.

Dryhill
10-17-2011, 06:26 AM
If God intended us to not eat meat why did He make it taste so nice? Anyway I MUST eat lamb otherwise what excuse do I have for having lashings of mint sauce on my plate? Or how about plum or orange sauce with duck ......... all those wonderful sauces and no meat to go with them :sad:

vdub
10-17-2011, 06:28 AM
I believe I'll take my chances with meat, potatoes, and beer.... Some things in life are just meant to be..... :-)

Psyborg
10-17-2011, 08:12 AM
If I could I would, but I generally dispise most vegatation. I'd just starve to death....or eat donuts 24/7. mmmm Donuts!

KimH
10-17-2011, 08:22 AM
I suppose it all comes down to moderation. Each new diet/study/research will head us off to another direction of what to eat or NOT eat. For me it is all about making healthy choices and listening to my body. I do eat mostly vegetarin meals but LOVE my steak and potatoes too! I do shop for "happy" chickens ( free range/drug free)and beef too..buy it when it is on sale. I have organic milk in the house which by the way lasts much longer than regular milk. I love almond milk and eat my cereal with that!

malin
10-17-2011, 09:19 AM
I think all this "eat this not that etc" is getting waaay out of hand. If you were to listen to every bit of "advice", research, diets etc you might as well stop eating full stop because there wouldn't be much left for you to eat. I mean even healthy things become UNhealthy if you eat them in excess. There are so much contradicting advice/research that the best thing to do is eat everything but as Kimh said, in moderation.

I try to make sure that the food I eat come from a good source. I try to eat a lot of free range/organic produce for the simple reason that you can more often than not track where to food came from, you know there isn't a lot of chemicals involved and also I try to go for the products that have the least amount of packaging.

elephant
10-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Actually, I knew that eating less meat and diary reduces cholesterol and some cancers. But I too love food, "All Food." But, denial is not an option anymore. I personally would like to reduce my cholesterol and see if this diet will help me. The only thing I am omitting is meat and diary. There is so much other stuff I can eat without feeling deprived. You guys need to see the Forks over Knives, it really talks about how the chinese and japanese use to eat and how healthy they were and now the are having the same health epidemic like us. What is interesting the Chinese ate very little meat, and they still were very healthy. I think if we ate 1/3 of a pork chop a day is not goint to kill you. Or save the whole pork chop/ham/ steak once a week. This is just very educational and 30 something year of research went into this. Just need to see it.

delorisdoe
10-17-2011, 11:16 AM
We just got half a cow from a coworker of my husbands. Lots of steak...Friday is steak night.

norcalian
10-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Sounds like the China study. We had some friends who tried veganism after reading that book. It's a little extreme for us.

Since we're talking about documentaries...Has anyone seen "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"? It's mainly about a couple of guys who do a juicing diet for 60 days. The interesting part is that they both have autoimmune diseases and are on similar drugs to us (MTX and Pred).

Sangye
10-17-2011, 12:56 PM
The China study wasn't a study but a very thinly disguised opinion paper made into a book. It has been discounted by clinical nutritionists for some time.

The thing is, most modern diet fads fail to look at the indigenous ways of eating. For example, when they comment on the Asian diet they don't mention that the traditional Asian diet has emphasized soups and stews with a base of fish sauce. So even when there aren't chunks of meat in it they are still consuming loads of nutrients from fish. Same with pork--they use the bones and organs to make soups. That is where the nutrition lies. As Asians replace those traditional, nutritionally sound foods with processed food they are developing the same ailments as Western countries-- arthritis, cancer, heart disease, autoimmune diseases, etc.... You can say the same for any other culture that is replacing their traditional diet with the Western diet.

Al
10-17-2011, 04:36 PM

Here's the thing, though, if I may allude to all the relevant research I've seen. In fact, it is true that, as we age, our production of digestive enzymes goes down, and perhaps moderation is in order. Also, some limited research suggests that high protein diets may be hard on stressed kidneys, even hastening the day that dialysis is needed. (Stressed kidneys, by the way, have to deal with all that sodium, potassium, and phosphorus, meriting serious consideration of how things raw parts fit into the scheme of things.) So we all have to watch what we eat. So what else is new? Vegans and vegetarians really have to watch their intake, just to make sure they get all the essentials down their gullets.

Note, however, that none of this proves causation, even when there is some (weak) correlation. Nevertheless, I personally like the idea of going more in the direction of more fruit and veggies, and less high protein parts. (For one thing, red meat and potatoes are almost non-existent in my kitchen.) Some autoimmune diseases, it must be said, do suggest specific diets--I'm thinking here of MS. For the rest of us, just eating sensibly is probably good enough. I do love to cook, and I enjoy the challenge, though it can, indeed, be a challenge. My guiding principle in this is: "All things in moderation, including abstinence."

Al

elephant
10-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Sangye, that is what the "FOrks over Knives" is saying....other countries are adopting our eating habits and cancer and heart disease has soared.

Al
10-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Sangye, that is what the "FOrks over Knives" is saying....other countries are adopting our eating habits and cancer and heart disease has soared.

Indeed. But when we talk about non-western diets, we have to avoid the "noble savage" fallacy. (It's worth noting, in this regard, the "golden age fallacy: Those halcyon days, and those presumed halcyon conditions of non-western ethnicities are anything but, for those who do not survive droughts and shortages.) In fact, there are sorts of ways that our lifestyles are far what what our bodies seem to be optimized for. Beyond diet, there are differences in habitat, working conditions, speed of travel, technology-influences hunting and gathering principles, crap in the air and water, and a lot more.It is all a long way from how humans lived until relatively recent times. How different is too much? Who knows?

But since we were talking about diet, my personal odds-on favorites for culpability are: way too much salt, and, perhaps surprisingly, the whole concept of three square meals. Until recent generations (i.e., before the advent of the local supermarket), the regularity and predictability of means was never part of the average human experience (and, for those few who knew no deprivation, gout was a typical result). Meat was standard, though probably a far lower proportion of intake than vegetable matter. I'm wondering whether, if we want "forks over knives", we should go all the way and say "Fingers over forks". You think?

Al

Sangye
10-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Eliminating meat is not the same thing as undoing the Western diet.

malin
10-18-2011, 10:05 PM
I am not against people who choose not to eat meat, in today's society people are free to do what they want but the thing about meat these days is not that is is right or wrong to eat it but should be more about how much we do eat and where it comes from.

I think it has all gone massively wrong when we produce so much meat we have to throw most of it away. :/

When it comes down to it meat has been essential to human evolution and we do need meat (even if you are a vegetarian/vegan you need to make sure you eat the right things to get the same nutrients etc that you would get if you were to eat meat).

If you go into it deeper even the way our hands work are in a way down to the fact that early homo habilis etc used tools to be able to carve out meat. Out thumbs developed away from chimps so that we can get a good grip around the tools we use. Our brains would not have developed in the way they did had it not been for early humans ability to eat and carve out meat and bone marrow.

Then of course today it is a different story because meat has become a mass produced industry and we have other options besides meat...

Haha sorry about this if it felt a bit off topic, just had a "moment" and got a bit carried away lol

mishb
10-18-2011, 10:29 PM
My youngest daughter (now 18) was diagnosed as a very young child with CVS (cyclical vomiting syndrome). Like baby colic or reflux but worst, her's starts with stomach migraines.
She had tried every version of food eating from vegetarian to vegan to glutton free to dairy free ...everything

She was a vegetarian since she was 10 years old (her decision) and whether she ate meat or no meat, still made no difference to her health. She went vegan at 18, and also at 18 had her gall bladder removed which you wouldn't have thought possible with someone who had not eaten red meat since 10 years old.

Now she has moved away from home she finds it easier to eat meat with the family she has dinner with (to save hassles). I always made separate meals for us and for her but you can't ask someone else to do that. Anyway what I'm trying to say is meat or no meat, it doesn't seem to matter it's just the amount you eat ...I think.

We (at home) have red meat once a week (vary rarely twice a week) and white meat (chicken or fish) the other days....and definately no added salt in my cooking :smile1:

Chris G
10-19-2011, 03:29 AM
All things in moderation I say! I believe it's the "super-size it" mentality that's causing more health issues than anything else. One serving of meat is supposed to be something like 3 to 6 ounces (the size of a deck of cards), and yet, we go to steak houses, and are served 18 ounce steaks - and people EAT IT ALL!! I don't think it's fair to blame our growing waist lines and poor health, on one food group or another. However, personally, I believe that I could benefit from adding more seafood to my diet.

I LOVE meat, and as much as I might like to, I could never give it up.

MCC
10-19-2011, 07:58 AM

Nice one elephant :thumbup: I haven't seen it, but heard good things.

I also recommend Food Matters: Welcome to 'Food Matters' - You Are What You Eat | FOODMATTERS (http://www.foodmatters.tv/)

And check out PCRM, an organisation of doctors, dieticians and nutritionists who advocate a vege diet: PCRM: Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (http://www.pcrm.org/)

delorisdoe
10-19-2011, 08:35 AM
mmmm seafood.

elephant
10-19-2011, 01:18 PM
I have talked to my friends and family about the "Forks over Knives", and the first thing they said is, " If this is about not eating meat, then forget it!" LOL! Totally understand, but I thought it was a good documentary and wasn't going to preach to my friends and family that they must go on this diet...I made the choice to go on a more healthy whole food diet and limit meat and dairy. Before this documentary, I love meat and cheese and still do!

ScreaminMeanie
10-21-2011, 06:45 AM
If I could afford it, I would eat whole grain in some form for breakfast every day (which I already do), and go to one of our local Japanese restaurants for lunch and dinner. I'd eat mostly sushi with some tempura veggies. I swear if I ever get a "you're going to die within X months" I'd spend those X months eating that way. Not for my health, but for my happiness! LOL

Kami
10-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I believe I'll take my chances with meat, potatoes, and beer.... Some things in life are just meant to be..... :-)

I am with you! :) I'm going to enjoy life a bit while I am here. Hee hee!

Either the WG is going to get me or something else is, it might as well be steak and a beer, or milk and cheese!

My daughter just started college and is dismayed with the number of kids that don't eat meat. She grew up with a good steak on the grill so she doesn't understand. She came home for fall break and requested it since they don't make it that way at school obviously.