PDA

View Full Version : marley and me( the movie)

crackers
03-27-2009, 12:55 PM
i know pred can mess with your emotional state but i just watched this movie and was crying like a baby at the end.has anyone else watched this?
john.

jola57
03-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Hi John, thanks for the warning. Now I will bring a box of tissues to see the movie :))

andrew
03-27-2009, 07:24 PM
I haven't seen it but from what you;re saying I'm sure my wife will make me watch it at some point :D

I'm more of a horror/alien war type movie guy.

Jack
03-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Not seen that particular movie, but I find myself getting emotional over stupid TV programs. As I've mentioned before, I'm sure it is the pred doing it.

crackers
03-27-2009, 10:18 PM
i'm a big sci-fi fan but i'm also a sucker for any movie with a dog or dogs in it.i think they should have a D.O.B. rating(dog owners beware) and an on screen warning "watching this movie could seriously affect your tear ducts"
john.

coffeelover
03-28-2009, 04:08 AM
I decided a long time ago NOT to watch this movie because I KNOW I would cry and cry and cry. Then my husband would laugh and laugh and laugh at me!
ha ha

Doug
03-28-2009, 05:22 AM
After bawling at the end of My Dog Skip, I promised myself to be alone the next time I was at a movie involving dogs or children and tragic or sad endings! I'm glad to know Marley fits the category so I will be prepared with lots of tissues. A Beautiful Life had such a bittersweet ending, I can make myself cry just thinking about it. Prednisone probably amplifies the emotion, but I guess the emotion is still there regardless. That's because of great storytelling!

andrew
03-28-2009, 05:30 AM
Yeah, it'd be the Pred giving you the amplified emotions. I love how it turns perectly well adjusted males into screaming Metrosexual's one minute and homicidal axe-weilding maniac's the second. I love that stuff!! :D

Doug, you're right. My Dog Skip and A Beautiful Life are great movies. If you know the series Frasier, the dog they use at the end of My Dog Skip is the one that was Frasier's Dad's dog in the series. Just a bit of trivia for you.

Sangye
03-28-2009, 05:37 AM
Life is Beautiful-- my all-time favorite movie. Gets me every time. Of course, I was a weepy thing even before all this.... I couldn't watch anything at all on the higher doses of pred--couldn't concentrate!!

Doug
03-28-2009, 05:48 AM
I did know he was the dog, so that made the ending the sadder, because he looked so old (because, of course, he was at that time, and he died in real life, which I may have known at the time, too). :(

Doug
03-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Life is Beautiful: Yes! Thanks! I knew the title sounded off! And it is the best ever in my mind, too. Il Postino, still a favorite, held the "title" for a while, but it the little boy's response to the American tank - even when you know it's coming because you've seen the film before!- makes this film as brilliant a piece of story telling as I've seen. I hate to think what it would be like on Prednisone, Sangye!

Sangye
03-28-2009, 08:30 AM
I didn't know the Frasier dog died. How sad! I guess he's still the same age in my mind, but of course that show was on some years ago. I loved that show so much. I haven't had tv in two years but still have all the episodes memorized--they can make me laugh just thinking of them.

Doug
03-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Sad to say, Eddie (Moose the dog in real life) died in late June 2006, according to the Internet. Amazingly enough, he was 16-1/2 years old! I think Jack Russell terriers just have a way of making you smile to think of them! According to the little article, he sired a litter of pups, and one was a close enough look-alike that he would have replaced Moose had he died before Frasier finished it's run. I can't believe the things you can find on tthe Internet! That was one of the better shows of all time!

crackers
03-28-2009, 01:10 PM
got to agree with you there doug.frasier was one of the funniest shows,and consistently funny thru each series,ever made.frasier had this habit of even when things were going good for him,to expect disaster which eventually happened.that could be classed as weggiesm syndrome.for instance i woke up the other day feeling really good.there were a few jobs in the garden needing doing so i did them.big mistake,for the next three days i ached like never before and fell asleep every time i sat down.lesson learned,when things are going good,just accept it and enjoy it.

Doug
03-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Hope you get huge tomatoes and the best roses in the neighborhood, or whatever you go for! I had to cut back on gardening, but I have a Spathiphylium inches to my left, a croton behind my monitor, and some strange mutated maise plant-like plant with interesting longitudinal variegations on tightly-twisted (to the right) leaves to my right: once a gardener, always a gardener! Hooray for us! I couldn't use this computer without my plant buddies!

jola57
03-29-2009, 01:28 AM
My all time favs are Raiders of the lost ark and Star wars (and all in the series), I just love adventures. Frasier always made me laugh and still does.

coffeelover
03-29-2009, 01:32 AM
I admire you gardeners. I grow tomatoes, but haven't had the courage to try anything else. I would think gardening to be somewhat therapeutic? A feeling of accomplishment, something we do not always get to experience as weggies.
Plants------well if I remember to water them,it is a good day! OF course MN would have to get above freeezing in order for me to even try to consider planting a garden!
Lisa

Doug
03-29-2009, 02:30 AM
Yeah, the special effects were tremendous! And the storytelling first rate in both series!

jola57
03-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Having a crush on Han Solo and Indie helped

andrew
03-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Having a crush on Han Solo and Indie helped

You and my wife should get together and go bowling. She's partial to Han/Indie as well :D

Doug
03-30-2009, 11:07 AM
The best gardeners, I think, are willing to experiment. Bananas don't grow in Minnesota. A good gardener would take that basic truth, determine what about Minnesota is deleterious to banana growing in Minnesota, spend the $30,000 to add a solar room on the south side of the house, fix it up with grow lights to simulate tropical days (roughly 12 hours a day sun, year around), plant the bananas, grow the bananas, hand pollinate the bananas, grow the fruit to ripeness, bring the sceptical neighbor in and say, "See, I told you you can grow bananas in Minnesota!" For me, it was grow lavendar in Zone 4, when none I know is that hardy (Zone 5 or warmer....). It took five attempts, thirty plants, but I finally found a microclimate in the yard where one plant grew! "See, you can grow lavendar in Zone 4!" It's insanity!

germaine
03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Doug, Oddly enough, I used to be pretty emotional most of my life, but somehow the pred makes me feel I don't want to put up with crap. I have usually gone along with other peoples wishes, but now have no problem saying I want something else. For me this isn't all bad, I think I've spent a lot of my life being a people pleaser and not really thinking about my own needs. I also find it's easier to clear stuff out of my life that I've tended to hang onto for sentimental reasons. I don't like some of the physical affects, like the tendency to shake, or the bloating in the various spots, at least my dose is getting down again a little, so hopefully I will get back to normalish. Sleep is a problem, it's all over the map. I'm trying to stick to the Zone diet, so have pretty well held the same weight which I guess is some kind of success. Germaine

germaine
03-30-2009, 03:29 PM
I grew lavender in Calgary. I don't know what zone it is, but I had tried many times then a woman I met said she had some lavender that would survive the winter. She gave me some, and it did grow. I never knew what kind it was. Now that I live on the west Coast, lavendar grows easily. I'm going to buy some this year for my balcony box.

jola57
03-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Ha, nothing grew for me in Calgary but when I moved to Mission I had roses blooming in middle of December (well not this year)
Andrew, your wife a woman after my hart :)

Doug
03-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Seems you have the Japanese Current (?) or some such warming you folks along the Pacific Northwest coast. I know my brother in N. Calfornia and my sister in Seattle have much milder weather than I, here in the center of the continent. Calgary probably has similar growing conditions (if a shorter growing season because of latitude) to what I have, or perhaps Minnesota, so you just need to build that $30,000 solar room, etc. if you want yer bananas! Haw!