PDA

View Full Version : Methotrexate and antibiotics

ScreaminMeanie
10-12-2011, 05:04 AM
I've just had some experiences with mtx and antibiotics (besides bactrim), and it was not good!

After getting a cold a month or so ago, it turned into a sinus infection and obviously was not going away on its own. My Rheumy was out of town for two weeks, and none of her colleagues felt comfortable prescribing anything for me, having never seen me. Also, none of them are Rheumatologists - most are orthopedists. My choices were ER or my "regular" doctor. I chose "anything but the ER." ;)

My regular doc offered me a choice of doxycycline and levaquin. Knowing how expensive levaquin is (and not knowing that it is now available in generic form), I chose the doxycycline, 100 mg twice a day for 14 days. After 10 days, I had to stop taking it. I was sick to the point of throwing up, with awful diarrhea, and knowing that any antibiotic can cause pseudomembranous colitis, I stopped taking it and contacted my primary care doc again. He called in the levaquin. I had read that there was a possible bad reaction between levaquin and bactrim, so I stopped taking the bactrim for the 10 days I was on the levaquin. What I hadn't read was that levaquin (all the quinoline antibiotics, in fact) increases serum concentration (and therefore toxicity) of methotrexate. For two days I felt pretty good, then I started feeling nauseated all the time. I did some more reading (this was over a weekend) and found out about the increased toxicity. I had already taken my shot for the week, so there was nothing I could do about reducing my mtx dose, so instead I doubled up on my folic acid until I was done with the levaquin. What a difference! I don't think I would have made it through the full 10 days if I hadn't done this.

The point of all this is......if you're on mtx and you need to take antibiotics (aside from a prophylactic dose of bactrim), please talk to your doctor about the possible interactions and what you can do to minimize the toxicity of mtx (some recommend reducing your mtx dose while on antibiotics). Hope this saves someone else from the 3+ weeks of grief I've just been through.

(Thanks, Trudy, for suggesting I make this a separate thread!)

Thakator
10-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks a bunch for the heads up; your sending of this precautionary note represents one of the great things about this forum. Ron

jola57
10-14-2011, 05:21 PM
I still marvel at the numbers of weggies still taking Bactrim while on mtx. I was told to stop the moment I got off the cyclo and only taken antibiotics once when sinuses were affected

pberggren1
10-14-2011, 06:00 PM
I still marvel at the numbers of weggies still taking Bactrim while on mtx. I was told to stop the moment I got off the cyclo and only taken antibiotics once when sinuses were affected

Same here. My doc says that he barely ever had patients on Bactrim after stopping the ctx.

Al
10-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Quick note: there is some evidence that a prophylactic dose of Bactrim is correlated with a lower risk of relapse, The idea is based on the observation that those who are chronic carriers of Staphylococcus aureus have higher risk of relapse. In any case, it is becoming increasingly evident that bacterial infections, whether or not they are involved in the original patheogenesis, can stir up cytokine production, thereby inciting adverse immune reaction.

Al

pberggren1
10-14-2011, 06:18 PM
There is also some evidence that Bactrim has an anti-inflammatory factor as well.

mishb
10-15-2011, 11:42 AM
My rheumy told me that if ENT or any other doctor prescribed Bactrim for me whilst I was still on MTX then I was to tell them I can't have it.
Apparantly MTX and bactrim combined can be potential fatal.

I haven't looked up why but this is what she said and I will go alone with it. It just surprises me the number of people on here that do take it.

Al
10-15-2011, 12:44 PM
My rheumy told me that if ENT or any other doctor prescribed Bactrim for me whilst I was still on MTX then I was to tell them I can't have it.
Apparantly MTX and bactrim combined can be potential fatal.

I haven't looked up why but this is what she said and I will go alone with it. It just surprises me the number of people on here that do take it.

The problem is that Bactrim seems to, in some cases, make the side effects of MTX more pronounced (and MTX, like all the immunosupression drugs, is loathsome and obnoxious). This is particularly exacerbated with alcohol consumption. In all cases with MTX therapy, and especially with the added risk factors of Bactrim or alcohol, liver enzymes should be checked regularly.

ScreaminMeanie
10-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Also, there is some history of people who have taken rtx being more susceptible to PCP. As someone who has already PCP, neither I nor my rheumy want to take any chances. The good news is, assuming my blood work is all good next week, I will begin tapering the mtx the following week. *fingers crossed*