PDA

View Full Version : Website stuff

andrew
10-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi folks, it's me again....finally.

I have a major issue with some background settings that make the site appear in your browsers. As a consequence, as I stuff about 'under the hood' so to speak, you may notice that the site disappears for a period of time. This period could be up to 48 hours but should hopefully be a lot less. This will happen in the next week or two.

My own fault. I forgot to pay a bill :predrage:

PLEASE don't freak out if you get a 'site not found' error or something similar, it'll only be temporary.

Sangye
10-07-2011, 01:39 AM
LOL No worries! Thank you for everything you do to keep this forum up and running. It's a tremendous gift to people all over the world.

Rini
10-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Yes, thank you very much!

chrisTIn@
10-10-2011, 06:57 AM
I could not reach the site for a while, but now everything's okay again.
Thanks Andrew! :thumbsup:

drz
10-10-2011, 12:17 PM
I could not reach the site for a while, but now everything's okay again.
Thanks Andrew! :thumbsup:

I missed when it was unavailable and was wondering how everyone was getting along. It is nice to have it running again.
thanks!

vdub
10-10-2011, 01:43 PM
It was demoralizing not to be able to get to the site..... Glad it's back up. :-)

ISP and DNS change?

andrew
10-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi Vdub, yeah I remember you are of a techincal mind :) Basically what happened is when I was away overseas the name server domain expired. I couldn't get it back out of redemption without paying $250. It was still working in that the site was available but I couldn't access the server at all and eventually of course the site would disappear. I elected to set up new name servers instead with one of the hundred or so domain names I have (don't ask lol). The dudes at the Data Centre were extremely helpful and it would have gone without a hitch except the domain that I chose to use for the new name servers was pointed elsewhere which I overlooked which destroyed everything until one of the support guys at the DC very gently pointed out what my issue was :)

andrew
10-10-2011, 06:20 PM
...and thank you to my three new assitants. You've all got messages by now. More will be forthcoming!

Thakator
10-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Andrew, I would be happy to send you a chunk of that $250 you had to shell out if you would let me know the best way to do so. Ron

andrew
10-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks Ron! In the end i didn't need to pay the $250. I just did some work in the background to get around it. Thank you for the offer though, very kind :)

Thakator
10-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi Andrew,
You're very welcome. And, please know that this is an open-ended offer; should you ever find yourself needing to put money into maintaining this site for us, just let me know via a PM and I will be more than happy to help out.
Thanks again for the site; it has been a Godsend for me. Ron

mishb
10-15-2011, 02:22 PM
I think we all would Andrew, this site has saved many a newbie from some of those dreaded google sites. (Ron you are a true gentleman)

Love the new Avatar by the way :thumbup:

vdub
10-15-2011, 03:23 PM
I think a $10 year donation would be quite reasonable.... Getting the process togeather would be the hard part. I think amazon provides a process.....

pberggren1
10-16-2011, 07:09 AM
I have noticed that I only get a few notices now by e-mail from this site.

vdub
10-17-2011, 06:07 AM
I noticed that happening (not happening) several weeks ago. We'll probably see a few more issues before things get really stable again....

Sangye
10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
FWIW, I'm pretty sure I'm getting all the notifications.

Hammy8241
10-17-2011, 06:38 PM
FWIW is "For What It's Worth" Had to google it - other search engines are available!

FWIW.... I don't get any mails anymore:sad:

Adrina
10-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks Chief!!! I love this forum, have not been on here in about a year, only because I can never figure out how to post.:razz:

andrew
10-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Hi Adrina
Just go to the main page, click on the forum you want to post in (for example, "General WG Chat"). Near the top of the page on the left you'll see a "post new thread" button. It looks the same as the "reply to thread" button. Click on it and you'll get a screen with a form to fill in that will allow you to create your own question/thread. When you're done filling out the form, click the "submit new thread" button (you might have to scroll down a little, it's on the right of the page).

Adrina
10-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks Boss man!!