PDA

View Full Version : Filters and Blood Clots

TOBEY32
09-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Had a filter put in last march due to a leg clot (bed-ridden). Recent ultra-sound indicates no more clot. I've heard pros/cons to taking the filter out. Doc says it's up to me.

Have you dealt w/ this?

David

drz
09-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Had a filter put in last march due to a leg clot (bed-ridden). Recent ultra-sound indicates no more clot. I've heard pros/cons to taking the filter out. Doc says it's up to me.

Have you dealt w/ this?

David

Has your doctor polled other hematologists, especially those with Wegs experience like those at one of the specialty treatment centers? In those uncertain and unknown situations I like to ask them "What do you recommend? Why?"

Sangye
09-29-2011, 01:44 PM
I didn't think the filters could be removed. I do know that it's not a good idea to have them in if you have Wegs. It's an irritant to the veins and any foreign bodies are not a good idea with an autoimmune disease. I had tons of clots in legs and lungs but thankfully my doctor back then had a hunch that filters were a bad idea for me.

renidrag
09-29-2011, 10:25 PM
I also had clot in the leg that led to a pulmonary embolism in December '09. They decided to put in a filter, why I will never understand, but Deb and I really had no choice as there were four Doctors next to my bed saying I should have it. Any way I still have it, and it can be removed. As weggies we are more prone to clots as you know. I don't like it in there but with my insurance in such a mess I will have to live with it. Personally, I would take it out in a heartbeat.
Dale

gmyi
10-03-2011, 02:51 AM
I also have DVT in both legs and they insert me an IVC filter but the doc said that it will stay till 120 to prevent from clots to travel to the lungs or brain causing very dangerous conditions