PDA

View Full Version : Meds cause increased cancer risks???

Chris G
09-29-2011, 05:10 AM
It seems like I remember reading that some of our meds cause an increased risk of certain cancers. Specifically, I'm concerned about skin cancer.

I have had a flat colorless mole on my face my entire life. No, it's not square in the middle of my nose with a hair growing out of it........ it's nothing anyone would really ever notice. It has never changed in any way.......until now. It seems like overnight (but surely it's taken a month or so), one section of it is no longer flat - it is quite raised and noticeable. The color has not changed, but it's definitely morphing into something new.

I have an appt with a dermatologist on the 13th.

I took mtx for about 8 months, have had one round of rtx, and am still on 10mg pred daily. Am I correct that my meds could be causing this?

me2
09-29-2011, 07:12 AM
About a year ago I started to notice lots of new skin growths on my right arm and discoloration around my neck. I was concerned about cancer too and saw a dermatologist. She checked me over thoroughly and none of it was cancer. I don't know if long term meds are contributing to this situation but it put my mind at ease. I am over 50 years old, I suspect this lumpy bump business is something normal with age too.
Its good you are getting looked at.

pberggren1
09-29-2011, 08:19 AM
I know that ctx can cause bladder cancer and other cancers and I am sure the other chemo drugs are the same. Not sure about pred though. Pred is nasty too.

Psyborg
09-29-2011, 09:34 AM
I thought I read somewhere that Pred made you more sensitive to sunlight, which might in turn make you more susceptible to skin cancers maybe? Just speculating.

Sangye
09-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Being on immunosuppressive drugs in general increases your risk of cancer. The reason is that there are WBCs called Natural Killer cells that circulate and identify cells that are behaving oddly-- eg, multiplying faster than normal. Those are usually cancer cells and NKCs kill them. If you have fewer NKCs the chances of cancer cells going unnoticed is much higher.

Also, the chemo drugs (ctx, mtx, imuran) are carcinogens. They mutate the DNA, making it more likely to develop cancer.

Pred disrupts the entire endocrine system. Many cancers are hormone-based.

There isn't much we can do about it if we need these drugs. That's why we should eat healthier, decrease our exposure to toxins whenever possible and make sure our docs don't keep us on any of the drugs unless absolutely necessary.

Chris G
09-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys. Not exactly what I hoped to hear sangye.....but good info as always!

I'm certain this thing on my face has to go. It grew so fast it can't be normal tissue. Will try to move my appt. up....but the chances are slim.

drz
09-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately the numerous X-rays and CT scans we often needed as part of treatment also increase our risk of cancer, especially when combined with the meds that also increase our risk of cancer. On the upside some of our meds are same drugs (RTX, CTX ) often used to treat many types of cancers. So is radiation so maybe we kill off some of those nasty cancer cells before they get us. :wink1:

Sangye
09-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys. Not exactly what I hoped to hear sangye.....but good info as always!

I'm certain this thing on my face has to go. It grew so fast it can't be normal tissue. Will try to move my appt. up....but the chances are slim.
Did you tell the receptionist what is going on? It might still be benign but I'd push them to get an urgent appointment.

ArlaMo
09-30-2011, 03:10 AM
I've been very careful about sun exposure most of my life (fair skinned, blue eyes, reddish hair) but I've been absolutely vigilant since starting all these meds for Wegs. I know the documentation I received with my Imuran scrip definitely mentions an increased risk of skin cancer and the bactrim and ctx both had warnings about sun exposure. I carry my big umbrella everywhere I go - if you want to find me on a Saturday, I'm the one sitting under the giant rainbow umbrella :tongue1: on the soccer sidelines.

norcalian
09-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Imuran can cause skin cancer...but not malignant melanoma...more of the Basil Cell type. My sister had malignant melanoma...so I've been seeing a dermatologist for the past few years to check my moles annually. Your mole changing like that sounds sketchy...I would definitely get in and get it biopsied ASAP.

gwenllian111
10-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Gosh the side effects of our meds in terms of side effects are frightening. I'm having a cystostcopy next month to check that I don't have secondary bladder cancer caused by cyclo. I'm sure the doctors are just playing safe rather than sorry, but good to be aware of the risks.

Good luck, I hope all goes well at dermatology.

PS. What are the really bad side effects of pred? I'm currently on 500mg iv pred every other day for my joints. I've put on 2 stone already.

Thanks X

pberggren1
10-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Gosh the side effects of our meds in terms of side effects are frightening. I'm having a cystostcopy next month to check that I don't have secondary bladder cancer caused by cyclo. I'm sure the doctors are just playing safe rather than sorry, but good to be aware of the risks.

Good luck, I hope all goes well at dermatology.

PS. What are the really bad side effects of pred? I'm currently on 500mg iv pred every other day for my joints. I've put on 2 stone already.

Thanks X

Gwen, that's seems like way too much pred to be on!!!! This is very concerning to me.

vdub
10-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I have had a flat colorless mole on my face my entire life. No, it's not square in the middle of my nose with a hair growing out of it........ it's nothing anyone would really ever notice. It has never changed in any way.......until now. It seems like overnight (but surely it's taken a month or so), one section of it is no longer flat - it is quite raised and noticeable. The color has not changed, but it's definitely morphing into something new.
Strange.... I have a bandaide on my face right now where a similar thing was removed just last Thursday. They froze it. It had been there as long as I can remember and, like your's, was kind of gray/white -- nothing anyone would notice. Over the last few months, it began to morph and got a little some scales.

The dermatologist froze it, but said he was not too worried about it. He did find something on my arm that didn't impress him and cut it off. The results will be back next week. No worries.....

gwenllian111
10-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Gwen, that's seems like way too much pred to be on!!!! This is very concerning to me.

It's my joints. I can barely move without being on IV pred (the benefits of which only last 24 hours). I don't know what i'm going to do this week I don't see rheum for another 4 weeks now.

The arthritis has spread all over, even to my hips knees and feet. I get so frightened sometimes, the pain is unbearable.

Sangye
10-03-2011, 01:19 AM
That's Wegs pain, not arthritis. What is their plan? They can't keep you on that dose of pred. Usually 3 days is the maximum. It sounds like they're trying to control highly active Wegs only with pred, which we know cannot work.

gwenllian111
10-03-2011, 03:17 AM
Do you really think it sounds like active wg? I'm also on 2000mg mycophenalate (cellcept) for 3 weeks now.

The joint pain is really getting me down now. I hate to moan, especially considering how much worse things can be (and are) for others.

Sangye
10-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Yes, that is exactly how I was with highly active Wegs and many others have said the same. I was on 2,000 mg Cellcept for 2 years and the Wegs still smoldered. I knew I needed to be on a higher dose but no one believed me until it was too late. But the short time I was on 3,000 mg I was much better.

Trudy
10-03-2011, 02:49 PM
It's my joints. I can barely move without being on IV pred (the benefits of which only last 24 hours). I don't know what i'm going to do this week I don't see rheum for another 4 weeks now.

The arthritis has spread all over, even to my hips knees and feet. I get so frightened sometimes, the pain is unbearable.

Gwen, how much calcium/magnesium and Vitamin D does your doctor have you on? Everytime I go up on Prednisone I have to up cal/mag, and I take prescription vitamin D (50,000IU/week). The cal/mag really has an effect on my joint pain.

Sangye
10-04-2011, 02:09 AM
Trudy, prescription Vitamin D is very poor quality-- not absorbed and utilized well. Also, the capsules are generally 50,000 IU each. It's never a good idea to take one huge dose of a nutrient. I suggest you see a holistic physician for a quality supplement. I take 10,000 IU a day, each capsule being 2,000 IU.

Trudy
10-04-2011, 04:02 AM
Trudy, prescription Vitamin D is very poor quality-- not absorbed and utilized well. Also, the capsules are generally 50,000 IU each. It's never a good idea to take one huge dose of a nutrient. I suggest you see a holistic physician for a quality supplement. I take 10,000 IU a day, each capsule being 2,000 IU.

Sangye, Thank you. I have always been a "health food nut" as some of my family would say. I tried several excellent sources of fish oil, but could not tolerate it, and I am allergic to flax oil. My doctor suggested a Rx fish oil named Lovaza which I can actually keep down. He tests me every month and when I go off it my levels drop, so for right now I am stuck with it. So you take 70,000 IU a week? I was questioning my need of 50,000.

Yesterday I came across an article saying fish oil can block chemotherapy for cancer patients. Do you think it can have a negative effect on chemo for Wegener's? Here is the article: Fish oil reduces effectiveness of chemotherapy (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110912143257.htm)

Thanks again for looking out for me. I always appreciate your input.

Chris G
10-04-2011, 04:18 AM
I was able to move my dermatology appointment up - I will be going tomorrow. Will let ya know what they say about the morphing mole.

Chris G
10-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Good news/bad news. Good news is the growth does not look cancerous. She removed it, and will send it to the lab of course. Bad news......big red boo boo where she razored it off (EWWW)......I look ugly.

Sangye
10-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Yay for the good news at least!

Brooke
10-07-2011, 03:11 AM
Yay, good news!