PDA

View Full Version : I want Baby #2

Brooke
09-28-2011, 08:20 AM
I am really having baby fever right now. I really, really, really would love to have another child right now. When I go back to Mayo in Feb, my doc is going to set me up with a high risk doc to visit. My doc at Mayo wants me to have another round of Rituxan once my B-Cells come back. So, I would have to wait until my b-cells come back again and that would put us at 2013 before even trying to get pregnant. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions or ideas about this? Any safe maintenance drugs for pregnancy?
I do not want to jeopardize my health or the baby's health and I do not want to go against my docs orders about waiting. Just really wanting baby number 2 :)

Sangye
09-28-2011, 09:52 AM
I can't imagine that any of the maintenance drugs are safe with pregnancy. Are you still on pred? It would not be a good idea to be pregnant while on pred, for many reasons.

What has sparked your baby fever?

MCC
09-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Hi Brooke,
My doctor said to wait until off prednisone to think about pregnancy but that imuran (azathioprine (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ZtP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&ei=eoGCTrmCGM_TiALT4ryCDQ&ved=0CB8QvwUoAA&q=azathioprine&spell=1)) is ok. I don't know about Rituxan so I would see what your doctor says.

Sangye
09-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Yikes, really? Imuran is chemo.

pberggren1
09-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Yikes, really? Imuran is chemo.

DITTO HERE TOO!!!!! Imuran is chemo for sure and that would scare me if I was your husband Brooke knowing that a precious life is growing inside of you and you are on Imuran at the same time.

MCC
09-28-2011, 01:21 PM
I just had a look through my e-mails and i have one from the pharmacy with a leaflet about imuran which says you shouldn't get pregnant, so perhaps I misunderstood the doctor!...or he told me wrong info. (fortunately I wasn't thinking about it). Sorry about that Brooke, should make sure before passing on info eek.

Sangye
09-28-2011, 01:24 PM
LOL We've all done that.

MCC
09-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Just found via google if this helps:
It is not known if Rituximab can cause harm to the fetus. Do not become pregnant while you use Rituximab and for 12 months after you stop using it. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Rituximab while you are pregnant. It is not known if Rituximab is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Rituximab, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.

Rituximab Use During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding | Drugs.com (http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/rituximab.html)

pberggren1
09-28-2011, 01:25 PM
I have come across this same info about rtx as well.

Palmyra
09-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Aghhhhh...Its the fertility conundrum. Not an easy question for any of us mere mortals to answer. I would certainly consult with all of your experts at Mayo before making a decision. My dear daughter (Weg 2006, Crohn's '99) and husband just adopted two mixed breed puppies....so cute but heartbreaking at the same time.

But, Phil is right. A precious life demands the best we can try to deliver. Get expert opinions before making any decisions. Nine months and conception time before is a long time if one has Weg.

pberggren1
09-28-2011, 02:13 PM
That is easy for me to say because I am sure that I will never be a father, but as long as you have the confindence in your docs from Mayo then I am sure that you will make the right choice.

Brooke
09-29-2011, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I have always wanted another baby, I think because I have been feeling pretty good I am wanting another one. Ok ok, my neighbor is pregnant and my other neighbor is talking about having a 3rd and I just want 2 :)
I just got off of hte phone from my doc at Mayo - she wants me to see a high risk ob, she thinks they would have more info to give me than her. She said I can see one in my home town but if they don't feel comfortable giving me advice, then I can see a high risk ob at Mayo.
The meds I am currently on are: Bactrim - can't be on that while pregnant , symbicort - can't be on that while pregnant - but there are different steroid inhalers I can be on while pregnant - prilosec, sinus rinse, I had my Rituxan Infusion in April 2011. She said she wants me healthy for a solid 2 years. So if all goes well, I could maybe try 1 year from now. That means I would do Ritxan again once my b-cells return - I am guessing in Feb or March 2012 they will return... She is not for sure but thinks it is ok to try for another baby 6 months after Rituxan.

Brooke
09-29-2011, 03:56 AM
I was also going to ask, when I had Rituxan in April-May of 2010 - my B-Cells came back in March 2011. Sooo... would it be the same this go around? Or can b-cells come back sooner?

Sangye
09-29-2011, 04:39 AM
It must be so difficult to have those limits, Brooke. My heart goes out to all of you in the same boat. :sad:

pberggren1
09-29-2011, 04:40 AM
I was also going to ask, when I had Rituxan in April-May of 2010 - my B-Cells came back in March 2011. Sooo... would it be the same this go around? Or can b-cells come back sooner?

I think it depends on what type of car the B-Cells are driving. If they are driving a Ford then they probably will never come back, but if they are driving a BMW they might be back as early as next week........lol

Chris G
09-29-2011, 05:18 AM
I think it depends on what type of car the B-Cells are driving. If they are driving a Ford then they probably will never come back, but if they are driving a BMW they might be back as early as next week........lol

Hilarious Phil!!!

LisaMarie
09-29-2011, 06:01 AM
hey I drive a Ford...always have and my B cells are creeping back ...but still recking havic...lol......maybe I missed something in the warrenety..Phil you can make us laugh

Brooke
09-29-2011, 06:06 AM
hahahaha, :):):)

Sangye
09-29-2011, 09:45 AM
I had Fords for years. "Fix Or Repair Daily" and "Found On Road Dead" True!

elephant
09-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Brooke, I wanted a baby really bad but instead I adopted two babies they are four years apart. I had a kidney tranplant in 1989, and with the immunosuppressnt drug plus I have high blood pressure the docs really did not want me to get pregnant...too many risks. But your situation is different, you just need to get as much info as you can and then decided.

pberggren1
09-29-2011, 03:41 PM
I had Fords for years. "Fix Or Repair Daily" and "Found On Road Dead" True!

Or: "Fast Only Rolling Downhill"........lol

mishb
09-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Or: "Fast Only Rolling Downhill"........lol

Over here we say ....."Found on Rubbish Dump".

I didn't realise everyone all the world over thought the same way about them .....Lol

Palmyra
09-30-2011, 01:47 AM

B cells can come back more quickly. My daughter started in 2007, and B cell repopulation originally presented more than 12 months after RTX, and are now repopulating 6 months post RTX.

Kathie28
10-01-2011, 12:42 PM
BI hope you can work out a plan Brook. I know I was wanting a second child when I first got diagnosed but now I don't feel like I am up to it. At that time my doctor was thinking Imuran would be the best bet to take while pregnant but there are still risks I'm afraid. Be patient if there is a way to go drug free in a year that would be awesome. Good luck to you!