PDA

View Full Version : In memory of Jack

marta
09-27-2011, 02:49 AM
I've changed my avatar to Jack's hero for the next week. I know that he will be with all of us forever, but I thought he could grace the pages of this forum in spirit/avatar for a little bit longer. My words will never be as wise and sagely as Jack's but I feel like he's left a little bit of himself in me. Change your avatar if you feel like he's done the same for you - if you wanna of course.

Love ya Jack!

I'm adding this to the top just in case it gets lost down below, where the idea was hatched.... here's a place to put our comments about Jack and we can send something to his family and have something here for us to remember for always.

Our Friend Jack Survey (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/OurFriendJack)

Sangye
09-27-2011, 04:22 AM
I chose this one, because I hope that's how Jack is feeling right now.

renidrag
09-27-2011, 04:30 AM
I can't believe I figured out how to do an avatar. I don't know what I was thinking, just to honor Jack.
Maybe stay on the subject now that I look again. Maybe he can replace Putin.

Psyborg
09-27-2011, 04:35 AM
Seems a fitting tribute.

Sangye
09-27-2011, 04:44 AM
I wanted to share a memory of Jack. A couple years ago he posted pictures of his rabbits--Amber and (I think) Bob. He loved them so much and spoke of them with such tenderness. This led to many of us sharing that we'd also had rabbits as pets at some point, which spawned a theory that rabbits must cause Wegs! :laugh: It was hilarious, and it went on for quite some time. Andrew even made a Demon Bunny image for the site but it didn't survive the changeover to the new program. We'd all be posting long, funny comments and Jack would come in with one of his famous one-liners and crack us all up.

BrianR
09-27-2011, 05:02 AM
Many have posted memories and quotes of Jack. How about a complilation whereby anyone can submit one or more memories, quotes or advice from Jack. We put them all on one document and send them to his family and can of course keep a copy for ourselves. Outside of this forum few, if any, will know of how much help he provided so many others over the years. I am not sure what common "form" we would use to collect comments but it could be as simple as posting to a new thread used specifically for this purpose and then the comments could be cut and pasted into a word doc.

Just an idea.

norcalian
09-27-2011, 05:25 AM
Many have posted memories and quotes of Jack. How about a complilation whereby anyone can submit one or more memories, quotes or advice from Jack. We put them all on one document and send them to his family and can of course keep a copy for ourselves. Outside of this forum few, if any, will know of how much help he provided so many others over the years. I am not sure what common "form" we would use to collect comments but it could be as simple as posting to a new thread used specifically for this purpose and then the comments could be cut and pasted into a word doc.

Just an idea.

You could easily do this with a Google Doc. I could set it up. I would just need email address (use a junk email address if you don't want to send your "real"one) and I can share the document with whoever wants to add to it or change anything. Let me know what you think.

Sangye
09-27-2011, 05:37 AM
Great idea!!

marta
09-27-2011, 05:37 AM
I have an idea of how to do this even easier - I will set it up right after I come home from the doctor's appointment I'm heading out to. Will have it within a few hours - Good one Brian. I like it. I'd also like to dedicate our book to Jack once it comes to reality. I was thinking about this last night. He was one of the first to send me his story and is always the first to extend a helping hand or word.... sooo....

marta
09-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Here it is. You can put your comments into here and I will pull them out and put them together nicely. If you have any problems or other ideas let me know.

Our Friend Jack Survey (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/OurFriendJack)

drz
09-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Maybe some one can edit some of the many posts mourning his passage that have been posted and the family might wish to have it read at his memorial service.

The desire to honor a great man and to mark our huge loss also helped me figure out (I think) how to create a memorial avatar too in honor of Jack. If the book is to dedicated to him it will also help motivate me to work on it more. I feel a huge sadness about our loss. I always looked forward to reading his posts. He would offer everyone support and encouragment even when he might have been having an even worse day. He always appeared thoughtful and compassionate in his comments when some one needed support.

The avatar worked. Maybe Jack was helping me.

Sangye
09-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks, Marta! I just posted the one about the rabbits from above.

marta
09-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Cool, thanks Sangye. I think when I put it all together I might also add his story for the book that he submitted, it's - as usual - well written, and to the point and very Jack.

maria garcia
09-27-2011, 08:56 AM
How do I add an Avatar ?

Barbara1966
09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
to honor Jack

Sangye
09-27-2011, 08:59 AM
LOL Now no one can tell us apart, Barbara!

marta
09-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Go to Forum Actions drop down menu on the top of the page, then click Edit Profile and once you're on that page, you'll see Avatar options on your left hand side of the page. You can go from there.

Jack showed me how to do that by the way :)

Sangye
09-27-2011, 09:01 AM
I PM'ed Luce and Coffeelover with the news about Jack. They aren't on much these days but were close to Jack from way back. I'm trying to remember if there's anyone else who we should contact.

Sangye
09-27-2011, 09:12 AM
In January I started a thread called "Silly Question for the Brits (http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/1351-silly-question-brits.html)." Check out Jack's patient explanations and then posts by him (read all the way through the thread). Totally Jack's humor.

jola57
09-27-2011, 03:33 PM
In Jack's memory and his quirky humor....

Geoff
09-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Ahmen to that..

mishb
09-27-2011, 08:39 PM
A wonderful idea Marta, Brian, Sangye ..... everyone :thumbup:

Just for Jack

gurinbasra
09-28-2011, 03:00 AM
Thanks Marta for doing this! It's a wonderful idea and I'm now even more determined to get my story finished so that I will have the honour of having my story in the same book as Jack's.

Lightwarrior
09-29-2011, 05:59 AM
I wonder if we could also pull all of his posts and put it in the forum under Advice from Jack? I know this could be huge. I'm off to change my avatar.

Natalie
09-29-2011, 08:35 AM
My Avatar is a pic Jack put in his message last Christmas to wish us all a happy Christmas :)

Sangye
09-29-2011, 08:46 AM
I wonder if we could also pull all of his posts and put it in the forum under Advice from Jack? I know this could be huge. I'm off to change my avatar.

I was trying to find some of his older posts and saw that you can only go back 500 posts.

Sangye
09-29-2011, 08:47 AM
My Avatar is a pic Jack put in his message last Christmas to wish us all a happy Christmas :)

Very sweet, Natalie. :smile1: It's like Jack's heart is right there.

drz
09-29-2011, 11:08 AM
I was trying to find some of his older posts and saw that you can only go back 500 posts.

Is there a way that could be changed or to allow some one else admin privileges who might be able to access further back?

marta
10-01-2011, 05:03 AM
Hey gang, we have 11 comments on the "our friend Jack" collection. It will be open until mid week next week before I pull it all together (I've started - so I'll finish it then).

Here's the link again. Our Friend Jack Survey (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/OurFriendJack)
Keep'em coming friends.

Also, anyone know how to get a hold of Andrew? One of the comments on the survey is from someone who's been trying to join the forum but hasn't been able to and can't get a hold of Andrew to get in. She has never talked to Jack, but has gotten the benefit we all have from having known him and read his wonderful words of wisdom and the humour he managed to inject into this horrible situation. Heather, I'll let you know if I find anything out.

pberggren1
10-01-2011, 05:06 AM
I chat with the old bloke from time to time on FB. I have let him known about others trying to get on the Forum. I think he is overloaded.

NicShaf
10-05-2011, 07:26 AM
So sorry to hear about Jack. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

marta
10-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Hey gang, I'm leaving Dodge for several days, so I won't put together the final thing for Jack's family until I get back next week, so there's still time if you would like to put something down.

Peace to you all.

marta

pberggren1
10-05-2011, 04:12 PM
fdafdsafdsafdsafdsafdsa

pberggren1
10-05-2011, 04:13 PM
I can't seem to post a reply with quotes. ARGG!!!!!!

delorisdoe
10-05-2011, 08:48 PM
so just reply without quotes...we will keep up

Sangye
10-06-2011, 03:25 AM
fdafdsafdsafdsafdsafdsa

What the heck does that mean??? How much pred are you on, Phil? :tongue1:

Sangye
10-06-2011, 03:31 AM
I don't know what got into me this morning but I kept calling my dog Patch by the name Jack. It suddenly seemed to suit him. Maybe it was because I had planned to change my avatar back to my old one today, and it was like saying goodbye all over again. :sad:

delorisdoe
10-06-2011, 06:26 AM
your dogs look like they are saying goodbye to someone in this photo

pberggren1
10-06-2011, 08:11 AM
What the heck does that mean??? How much pred are you on, Phil? :tongue1:

Back up to 30 now........lol