PDA

View Full Version : Excitement in the Stover house!

Stephanie78
09-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Oh my gracious. I'm not sure our family can deal with anymore excitement this week!

So, John had an appointment with his neuphrologist yesterday. He has been doing AMAZING the past couple of weeks. I have come home on several occasions to have dinner cooked for me! Wednesday he actually drove (He hadn't driven for over 4 months) to the post office for me while I was at work.
As we were walking to the exam room (John was doing what I call his "OLD MAN" Shuffle) the doctor (Falk) Stopped talking with the other doctor, eyes open HUGE, grin covering his face and said "Mr. Stover slow down" (of course joking with him). They said his Urine was looking better. They are continuing to taper him off of his prednisone and....................HERE IS THE FIRST EXCITING THING....TOOK HIM OFF THE MEPRON! if you have ever been on that horribly thick as honey, neon yellow BURNING medicine you would understand the excitment that John had over that one.
They then sent him down for blood work and said they would call us with the result. As we pulled into town (3 hour drive..Well 2.5 but after our GPS got us lost it was 3 hours home this time...Dang McDonalds!) The doctor called. He said that Johns Creatinine was better at 1.5 and his Hemoglobin was higher at 8.8, which is expected with the amounts of Cytoxan he has been on (IV and Oral). He said that his iron was low but all he needed to do was double up on the iron pills. AND he had gained 2 lbs (this is a huge thing!) So we were on TOP of the MOON.

Then...This afternoon we heard from the doctor and were given the other results. Johns "b" cells are depleated (Which they wanted and expected from the RTX) AND his ANCA was negative..This is a huge issue seeing how as though his ANCA levels were (Doctors words) Very Very Very high before. Really?? This guy was literally at deaths door at one point! Our hearts are just completly overjoyed right now. Of course this doesn't meant he is in the "safe" zone. We still have the winter/sick months to get thru. With his immune system nonexistant right now an infection could blow it up! But for ONCE in the past 4 months the news was AWESOME!

He is now tapering the Cytoxan and should be off of it completly in 4 weeks. We spoke with Dr Falk and his plan is to have John completly DRUG FREE within the next 6 months. Who would of thunk it right?!?

elephant
09-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I am so happy for John and you! Sounds like John is on his way to full recovery!

maria garcia
09-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Im so happy Stephanie. Great news is always welcomed in this thread. Giving the rest of us some hope. In your experience do affected organs reverse back to there healthy state with the medication or do they stay affected. My daughter is going to be put on MTX.

Sangye
09-24-2011, 02:25 PM
That's great news, Stephanie! Glad John is off the "banana poison" (as Rini called it). :thumbsup::hug3:

vdub
09-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Outstanding! It's really great to hear some good news!

My daughter is going to be put on MTX.
Maria, I was on mtx for about 17 months. At lower doses (15mg/week), it wasn't bad at all. Above 15mg, I felt pretty bad for several days a week. I'm just guessing, but I think mtx is probably the least disruptive of all the chemo drugs. That having been said, I was darned glad to get off of it. I hope all goes well for her.

mishb
09-24-2011, 03:19 PM
That's fantastic news Stephanie.
Always stepping forward for John now (even if it is a shuffle), no more backwards steps.

renidrag
09-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Great news Stephanie hope this good news continues
Dale

Psyborg
09-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the good news update Stephanie :) It's great to hear that John is doing better.

Stephanie78
09-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Maria- when asked about the damaged organs we were told this...

Liver - most likely will repair itself.
Spleen - is basically already dead but no real concern.
Heart - the aneurysm may possibly go away once all inflammation is gone. Hopefully once in remission he c am be treated for the other blockage. As for the damage on the heart, they will most likely remain but not pose much threat at all.

Lungs - they will more then likely remain the same yet not pose to much threat.

Kidneys - same as lungs however notsure if they will later pose a threat or now.

Sinuses - we are just thankful he can smell. As for having issues with them, he will.

Numbness in hands and feet - It could possibly get better but probably won't go away.

but hey, that's better then before. And we will take that!

BrianR
09-25-2011, 12:47 AM
Great news Stephanie!

Geoff
09-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Wow what can I say but awesome news....Good luck and keep it coming!!!:thumbup:

pberggren1
09-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Excellent news Steph!