PDA

View Full Version : Coughing up 'plugs'

gwenllian111
09-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Hi

I've been coughing up green plugs from my trachea for a while, and unless I can cough and move these plugs, my breathing becomes very tight. Does anyone else get this?

Brooke
09-20-2011, 11:11 PM
I have had this before as well. Maybe ask your doc?

gwenllian111
09-20-2011, 11:43 PM
I will do when I see rheum on thursday. I suppose it must be fleghm or something stuck on the narrowing?

Brooke
09-20-2011, 11:47 PM
I think mine was all sinus drainage...

Psyborg
09-21-2011, 02:58 AM
I had a cold in may and got this. I attributed it to drainage as well, but that might be wrong. Definitely scary when you cant get air though.

pberggren1
09-21-2011, 02:27 PM
I am going through this right now and had it back in 2006 as well. Both times I was not flaring. Both times the throat was very dry. But this time I still have that darn lung infection and am coughing up stuff from my lungs as well. All the stuff I cough up is very hard chunks. But back in 2006 it would have been all post nasal and drying up in my larynx and blocking the airway.

Sangye
09-22-2011, 12:32 AM
I thought the lung infection was cleared up and you were off antibiotics. No?

pberggren1
09-22-2011, 07:55 AM
I am off the antibiotics and all the sputum samples since October of last year have been coming back negative under culture. But I am still coughing up lots of mucus. And the fact remains that this bacteria in the lungs is extremely hard to cure. The cure rate is less than 1% in a healthy person. And being that I have damage to the lungs from Wegs and immuno suppressed most of the time it makes it that much harder. So in nutshell I may never be rid of this infection.

ArlaMo
09-22-2011, 07:57 AM
This has been happening to me for the last three, four months. Otherwise, I feel great. But I cough and until I can get that chunk out, I feel and sound pretty wheezy. I'm supposedly in remission and my labs support that - just this one thing. (and I did have a chest CT a couple of weeks ago - pulmo wanted a baseline of what my lungs look like in remission and other than on 8mm nodule that has been there since my first CT, everything looks good.) I have an appointment with him in October.

LisaMarie
09-22-2011, 11:29 AM
I have it 3 -4 times a day....but once i get it out the wheezing stops and I am ok...even with drinking 72 oz of h20 and a humidifer i still get them...i just chart it up to part of my new life....plugs and all

drz
09-23-2011, 02:05 AM
How much lung function do most people have left after lung damage from Wegs? Some loss of function for major organs like kidneys, lungs, heart etc is part of normal aging process but Wegs really can do a number on these organs if it targets them. Has anyone got back to normal for their age after Wegs caused damage?

Sangye
09-23-2011, 04:34 AM
We haven't tested my lung function for quite some time but it was supposedly in normal range a few years ago. I really don't see how that can be though. I can't take deep breaths, I get out of breath very easily, etc.... My lungs have never felt as clear as they were before Wegs. Not even close.

gwenllian111
08-28-2012, 01:26 AM
My lung function is pretty good, apart from my peak flow which is abnormal because of the airway narrowing. How is was missed for 10 years with those distinctive lung function results i'll never know.

Widthofacircle
08-28-2012, 04:44 AM
I get this all the time. Constantly hoarse and clearing the throat and blowing nose. Otherwise fine.
Brendan

renidrag
08-29-2012, 04:22 AM
I haven't had a PFT since 2008 and was thinking of asking for another one soon. My lungs are no where near they used to be, SOB from a stairway, no long walks on the beach, etc. I don't think they can differentiate damage from WG or forty years of smoking. Diagnosed with COPD same time as WG. But remember drug free remission since June 2010 and hanging in.
Dale

Dirty Don
08-29-2012, 05:02 AM
Actually, a CT scan can differentiate between smoke damage and WG damage in the lungs. Smoking damage appears more as a silt gathered usually at the bottom of the lobes while WG damage is usually in the form of lesions & interstitial 'marks' (I have no idea what doc meant by that!!). I've smoked, albeit sparingly (half pack a day, maybe - a closet smoker, etc.), for 45 years, docs pointed out that my lower right lobe has 12% damage from that time of smoking...hmmm, do the math, there are 5 lobes. Considering the kinds of jobs I've worked, the urban smog, and a few chemicals I've absorbed....not bad at all! LOL! No, please don't lecture on the pitfalls of smoking, I'm CRAZY, not dumb...hehe!