PDA

View Full Version : Venus WIlliams has AI disease

Psyborg
09-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Well that's a big named person.

Venus Williams out of US Open; Zvonareva wins - Tennis - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=ap-usopen)

drz
09-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Well that's a big named person.

Venus Williams out of US Open; Zvonareva wins - Tennis - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=ap-usopen)

The seven-time major champion said in a statement that she was recently diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome, "an ongoing medical condition that affects my energy level and causes fatigue and joint pain."

Its not GPA but sort of a distant cousin I guess.

Kimbangu
09-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Sorry, what is GPA...? I googled it and found Gay Police Association, Grade point Average, Game Publishers Asscociation but I'm guessing it's none of those. :unsure:

Sangye
09-02-2011, 01:08 AM
ROTFL Here we are, people who have a nasty AI disease one day and the next day find we're all members of the Gay Police Association.

GPA is the new official name for Wegs. Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis. Say it 3 times fast and you win a cookie! :flapper::ohmy:

I'm not using the new name. Maybe in 30 years. :wink1:

Yvonnea
09-02-2011, 01:38 AM
Yeah old name was a mouthful and the new one is not much better.
Really sorry to hear of Venus getting that condition.

NicShaf
09-02-2011, 06:22 AM
I was really surprised to hear this on the news this morning. It just goes to show you that these things can happen to anyone...doesn't matter how healthy or rich you are. I feel really bad for her, I think we all know how it feels to give up something we love for Wegs, she is probably going through alot right now. Sad:(

LOL, I was telling my Mom about the new name. Her response was, "go figure, you had a bad GPA in High School, and now you have a bad GPA in adult hood, I guess some things never change". Thanks Mom! This was said with love, I'm sure:)

Sangye
09-02-2011, 06:32 AM
Sjogren's the 2nd most common AI disease in the world. (RA is #1, Lupus is #3. Wegs is probably #5 million :laugh:)

At least every doctor is very well acquainted with Sjogren's. It's not nearly as complicated as Wegs and isn't deadly. That may not be much consolation to someone who's newly diagnosed with it, but down the road she'll probably appreciate how much worse things could be. At any rate, it's very sad to think what she must be going through.

drz
09-02-2011, 08:21 AM
I wonder about those who literally have the one in a million diseases or complications. How did they ever get correctly diagnosed? How do they get treated when only a couple of other cases have been treated with any success? How do they even find a name for something that rare?

It seems like it took forever to figure out my Wegs (GPA now) and that is probably one in 8250, at least in Canada according to their stats.

jola57
09-06-2011, 05:36 AM
I have couple of friends with Lupus and Sjogren's, both are jsut fine after a mild therapy with pred, I trust Venus will fully recover. it may be hard to compete if she is in steroids, knowing the energy boost they give and "doping" being a no no in sports