PDA

View Full Version : "White" Iodine Fights Infections & Flu Shot Question

TOBEY32
08-23-2011, 05:29 AM
Never had reason really to try this till now, but I heard a couple of years back (Paul Harvey News) that a drop of this applied between your nostrils can fight off infections entering through the nose. Gonna try this myself for the winter time.

Flu Shot Q: Do you get one?

Thanks,
David

gurinbasra
08-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Flu Shot - yes, every year for the past 4 years since I've been on immuno suppressants - never had any reation to it other than not getting sick!

Sangye
08-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Flu shot-- no way.

Dr Seo monitors my Vitamin D level monthly and I make sure to keep it in range. Vitamin D is proven to prevent the flu and minimize the severity if you do get it. I also take other nutrients that support the immune system without boosting it.

Brooke
08-24-2011, 01:59 AM
I haven't been able to get the flu shot last year, or even this year due to being on Rituxan.
Sangye, do you think I should be monitoring Vitamin D levels? I currently am not taking any vitiamins.

drz
08-24-2011, 02:36 AM
Flu shot-- no way.

Dr Seo monitors my Vitamin D level monthly and I make sure to keep it in range. Vitamin D is proven to prevent the flu and minimize the severity if you do get it. I also take other nutrients that support the immune system without boosting it.

What things support it with out boosting it?

I read recently that mushrooms boost the immune system. Does that mean we should avoid them?

Sangye
08-24-2011, 03:04 AM
I haven't been able to get the flu shot last year, or even this year due to being on Rituxan.
Sangye, do you think I should be monitoring Vitamin D levels? I currently am not taking any vitiamins.
Vitamin D is as important as calcium in maintaining bone density. Anyone on pred should monitor D. You can have low D levels even if you're in the sun a lot-- has to do with absorption of it. Low D can cause pain. Also, low D levels are common with AI diseases.

Mine was unbelievably difficult to get into normal range. It took months and requires me to take 10,000IUs a day!

elephant
08-24-2011, 11:49 AM
My vitamin D has been low and sometimes I forget to take it. I am suppose to take 2000 units a day.

Sangye
08-25-2011, 01:17 AM
You gotta take it every day, Elephant. It'll help you avoid some of your infections and keep your bones strong.

elephant
08-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Glad, I read this thread Sangye, I will take my vitamin tonight. Thanks, need to write a note to myself.

Sangye
08-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Good! Gotta start now to make sure your D levels are in normal range by the time colder weather hits.

Terri
08-25-2011, 01:04 PM
My Dr. keeps telling me I should have a flu shot,:unsure: but I've never had one and even working around kids at an elementary school havn't had the flu since being diagnosed in 2007. I just don't feel comfortable having something new put into my body if I don't need it. Does that make sense?:confused1:
I still get a few sniffles off and on through the school year, luckily not serious.

beeinformed
08-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Flu shot-- no way.

Sangye- Do you take vitamin D3 or vitamin D on a daily basis? I take a total of 1200 units of Calcium plus 800 units of vitamin D3 on a daily basis.

How many units of vitamin D3 would you suggest to take to prevent getting the flu? Also, what nutrients do you take to support your immune system? Thanks. :smile:

Sangye
08-26-2011, 02:30 AM
You need to get the Vitamin D level tested to know how deficient you are. Then use a good quality D3 supplement. OTC brands are awful. They usually don't contain anywhere near what they claim to, and they're in a form that is poorly absorbed. That leaves you with very little D! I need 2,000 IUs a day to keep my D in range. I use a D supplement from Xymogen.

I don't use OTC supplements. I use supplements that are only available through healthcare professionals and are batch-tested for nutrient dose and safety. You can buy some of them online but I don't recommend that. It's as important to have a holistic doctor advising you on supplements as it is to have a medical doctor advising you on pharmaceuticals. Many people go to a health food store for advice on supplements. That's insane.

General supplements I take: multivitamin, fish oil, antioxidants, black currant seed oil, multimineral, vitamin D, calcium, B vitamins. (I'm on 2 diuretics so I take extra B vitamins in addition to the multivitamin. B's are water-soluble so they're flushed out.)