PDA

View Full Version : Neti Pot Question

NicShaf
08-23-2011, 01:31 AM
So, I saw my ENT two weeks ago, and she recommended that I start using my neti pot daily, not just as needed, to reduce my crusting.
I started today...but my question is, how do you get all the residual water out of your nose? I got to work and went to pick up a pen that I dropped on the floor, and water started coming out my nose. Luckily I'm here before anyone else, so no one was here to witness this disgusting mishap.
Is there anything I can do to get all that water out of there after I'm done rinsing?

Brooke
08-23-2011, 03:34 AM
This happens to me all of the time! After my sinus rinse at home, I tilt my head to the side a couple of times back and forth to get it to drain out.
It still comes out after that even at work but I know when it will, I just keep a kleenex handy. Maybe try tilting your head right when you get to work to get the extra water out.
I actually like when it comes out because when it doesn't thats when I know I'm getting a little head cold or sinus problems.

Sangye
08-23-2011, 03:37 AM
LOL I think we've all experienced that "disgusting mishap!"

After rinsing, lean forward in the sink (about 45 degrees) and exhale forcefully through both nostrils. (Don't pinch off a nostril.) This is the angle where the sinuses drain so most of the water will come out. Don't bend to 90 degrees or the water will get stuck in there.

drz
08-23-2011, 05:43 AM
LOL I think we've all experienced that "disgusting mishap!"

After rinsing, lean forward in the sink (about 45 degrees) and exhale forcefully through both nostrils. (Don't pinch off a nostril.) This is the angle where the sinuses drain so most of the water will come out. Don't bend to 90 degrees or the water will get stuck in there.

I had this happen at first. I use a squeeze bottle or electric pump sinus wash. When you bend over the sink and blow or snort through open nostrils it seems to get rid of most of the water. Blowing nose later when bent over seems to get rid of last drops for me and this has not been an issue (unexpected drainage at later time) for several months now.

Chris G
08-23-2011, 06:20 AM
OH NO!!! I've never had that happen. I'm SO glad you were alone!! :w00t:

marta
08-23-2011, 08:33 AM
I just saw this on the news the other day and was thinking about all of us high end neti pot users. The moral of the story... boil your water or used distilled water in your neti pot or you might loose your brain (and everything else that goes with it)...

Victim of Brain Eating Amoeba Unknowingly Used Infested Water in Neti Pot | InjuryBoard Greensboro (http://greensboro.injuryboard.com/miscellaneous/victim-of-brain-eating-amoeba-unknowingly-used-infested-water-in-neti-pot.aspx?googleid=293382)

Brooke
08-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Marta,
I saw that too, very scary.
I have used faucet water for 10 years.
I should really be using distilled water or boil it first. I need it to be pretty warm.. so just would take longer to heat it up. Better safe than sorry though right?!

Psyborg
08-23-2011, 08:37 AM
I wonder how stagnate water got that far into the system...that's more than a little disturbing.

NicShaf
08-23-2011, 09:26 AM
I just saw this on the news the other day and was thinking about all of us high end neti pot users. The moral of the story... boil your water or used distilled water in your neti pot or you might loose your brain (and everything else that goes with it)...

Victim of Brain Eating Amoeba Unknowingly Used Infested Water in Neti Pot | InjuryBoard Greensboro (http://greensboro.injuryboard.com/miscellaneous/victim-of-brain-eating-amoeba-unknowingly-used-infested-water-in-neti-pot.aspx?googleid=293382)

Yep, I saw this story last week. Very scary, and so sad for their families. I have a big gallon jug of distilled water in my bathroom for my Neti pot. I'm not taking any chances of anything foreign in my nose.

Chris G
08-23-2011, 10:35 AM
OMG that's horrifying!! I use distilled water every day. But I wash and rinse the bottle (Neil Med) with tap water. We have a well, so I don't even have the benefit of chlorination. Something else for me to obsess about.:sad:

Sangye
08-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Yikes, I hadn't seen that. I've been lazy about using proper water and have been using tap water. Thanks for the warning, Marta!

Psyborg
08-23-2011, 10:31 PM
One note on this...evidently millions of people are exposed to this parasite every year and only a tiny number get the horrible reaction to it. So don't get TOO scared about it, at least according to the guy I heard from the CDC last week. Most people have no reaction and their body wipes the parasite out quickly. Just a few apparently don't have the mechanism to fight it.

Of course we are all immune suppressed so I don't know how that would play into this.

elephant
08-24-2011, 11:58 AM
My friend just called me told me about the eating brain bacteria...and how she is not using the neti pot because of it.

pberggren1
08-24-2011, 04:31 PM
PLEASE EVERYONE USE DISTILLED OR REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER WHEN RINSING YOUR NOSE!!!!!!

I am a perfect example of why not to use clean water.

Sangye
08-25-2011, 01:21 AM
My friend just called me told me about the eating brain bacteria...and how she is not using the neti pot because of it.
Why won't she just use clean water??

elephant
08-25-2011, 12:08 PM
She just freaked out and went overboard.

pberggren1
08-25-2011, 12:38 PM
She just freaked out and went overboard.

If she is overboard then she is in the dirty water again. lol

Sangye
08-25-2011, 12:50 PM
ROTFL Phil!! http://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/rofl.gif (http://www.smileyhut.com)

Brooke
08-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Good one Phil! haha,
For those of you that use clean water, do you heat it up? Or use room temp? I think I could only use warm water... I do my sinus rinse at home, at work, at my parents.. so I would need to keep clean water at all of those places and then heat it up before each use.

Sangye
08-26-2011, 02:32 AM
I use tepid water. If it's too warm it'll cause the mucous membranes to swell. Too cool causes blood vessels to constrict, cutting off needed blood supply.

pberggren1
08-26-2011, 10:25 AM
So tepid is the name of my water. lol

elephant
08-26-2011, 12:39 PM
LOL Phil! I use warm water.