PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Bells!

Geoff
08-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Its been a while since I updated but as you might guess from the title of this thread, there is a lot else going on in my world, and has been since early February!
Its T-7 as I write this post. A week from now my daughter will be married, and for me, it will be a dream come true.About 3 months ago I was afraid that I wouldnt be 'up for the big day' and especially walking my beautiful girl down the aisle; now, thanks to the wonderful team of Doctors at Addenbrookes, I am now looking forward with excitement and anticipation.
Things took a turn for the worse 3 months ago, when I kept having splitting head aches and just felt run down. A MRI scan showed the Wegs as moving into the sac like area between the skull and the brain (plenty of room in my case!) It felt like a 6 inch nail was being driven up my left nostril and thru my eye into the left temple.
I was admitted into hospital and had a double infussion of Alemtuzumub. There was another Weggie opposite me on the ward who also had Diabetes to complicate things. I did feel as if he had more going on with his illness than me. We had a good chat and I was amazed at his story.
5 weeks after the infussion and I was still on the roller coaster, but after 3 follow up visits, I am delighted to say that I feel like I did before I fell ill. The good days are now starting to outnumber the bad ones to an ever increasing degree. I saw Dr Jayne on friday and he said I could start to taper my steroids down from 15mg. Yes we all know its the acid test.
We have had a great day today as my daughter has been for a final fitting of her dress (I await with baited breath to see her on the day - apparently its a real show stopper!) I have been busting a gut in the garden sorting out all those jobs which should have been done weeks ago. There was always that excuse that I felt dog rough and too tired, but everyone can now see that I am full of energy and ready to rock!
Only thing left for me to worry about now is the weather!! We have had some crazy stuff of late, flash floods, little sun etc, I have prepared for the worse (bought a dozen brollies) and am hoping for the best!
Now must go and finish off my "Father of the Bride" speech; any suggestions?! :rolleyes1:

pberggren1
08-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Congratulations! But what are brollies?

Sangye
08-21-2011, 12:16 PM
That's all so wonderful to hear, Geoff! :thumbsup::hug3:

julia
08-21-2011, 01:21 PM
it is an umbrella

mishb
08-21-2011, 05:04 PM
That's fantastic news Geoff. I'm glad things have finally settled down just in time for the wedding.
I'm sure the day will be absolutely wonderful and the rotten weather will stay away so the sun will shine all it's love down on your daughter's big day.

Don't over do it in the garden and also good luck with the taper.

BrianR
08-22-2011, 12:51 AM
Great news on all fronts Geoff! Walking your daughter down the aisle - wow! I've been pondering how that might feel since I read this post of yours. I have a few decades to find out for myself ad now you've got me thinking about it!

All the best to the whole family and, rain or shine, it will be a marvelous day!!

Brian

DEE
08-22-2011, 01:17 AM
Now must go and finish off my "Father of the Bride" speech; any suggestions?! :rolleyes1:[/QUOTE]

Hi Geoff, my daughter got married on the 30thAug 2007, the year we had all the bad floods in yorkshire, it was also when I had just started to become ill .but not yet dxt. The most important thing to my daughter was not the weather but if you have not already guessed it was her dad walking her down the aisle .He cant stand for long as he has spine trouble and so the vicar
arranged a chair for him close to my daughter.
Regards the speech ,he made me worry as right upto the day before .my daughter had given a list of things he could talk about and all he kept saying was it would be alright.
The day came still no sight of speech. BUT when the time came out came the paper, my daughter and I looked at each other.
He tore the paper and spoke as he said from his heart ,there was not a dry eye in the room.
But it does not really matter what you say YOUR HER DAD. hope you have a great day .:thumbup:
ps it was windy but it did not rain

Chris G
08-22-2011, 03:58 AM
That's wonderful news Geoff! I'm so happy that you're healthy enough to enjoy all of it!

NicShaf
08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
awesome news Geoff! Congratulations!

Geoff
08-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Oh ***!!! just seen the forcast for the weekend, thunder storms coming our way from Northern France!!??**

Thanks for all the well wishes guys, now one big collective thought of positive rays and send those storms packing!!!

Hammy8241
08-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Oh ***!!! just seen the forcast for the weekend, thunder storms coming our way from Northern France!!??**

Thanks for all the well wishes guys, now one big collective thought of positive rays and send those storms packing!!!

How typical of the French - they dump everyone / thing over here :rolleyes1:. Think of it as not so much as losing a daughter but rather as gaining a 'spare room ':biggrin1:. You will have to pass me your speech as it will save me work next year.

Have a great day Geoff and fingers crossed that the weather behaves itself.

DEE
08-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Wishing you and your family a wonderful day tomorrow ,DEE x

BrianR
08-27-2011, 01:21 AM
Geoff - best wishes from me, Marta and Hana on the BIG day!! May all go smoothly and the weather cooperate.

Kami
08-27-2011, 04:14 AM
I am so excited for you! No matter what the weather does it will be a wonderful day full of memories!! It is my goal/dream to stay alive and healthy enough to be there for my daughter when she is ready to get married so I can feel your happieness and excitement at having reached that goal!! I am praying like crazy for good weather and good memories for you!! Make sure you relax and enjoy the day too! Best, Kami

DEE
09-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi Geoff ,How did it all go hope the weather was in your favour DEEx

Geoff
09-06-2011, 05:37 AM

Hi Dee, well as you can see the weather held out for us and I would like to say a HUGE thank you to all of you who sent out those 'positive rays' to keep the rain away. Amazing as the preceeding days were just awful!! As you can see, I am the happiest man on the planet and so proud to walk my girl down the aisle!
My speech seemed to be well accepted as I reminisced about my daughters early days and her ability to get into all kind of scrapes!!
I managed to go the course and keep high energy levels until we said goodbye to friends and family who had travelled from as far away as Perth in Oz, then I hit the wall and 'crashed and burned'!! Caught someones 'Plane Cold' but delighted to report that I have bounced back and am now feeling great!
Oh and Phil, we didnt need the brollies after all... now where's the nearest car boot sale?? 2 brollies for a tenner??!! :thumbsup:

Sangye
09-06-2011, 05:59 AM
That's awesome, Geoff. You look great in the pics. Were you ever on pred? It doesn't look like it. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the day and create a lovely memory for yourself and your daughter.

DEE
09-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Fantastic photo's Geoff . Glad the weather held out . Could do with your brollies here has not stop raing on and off for the last four days !!!!.
Told you your speech would be just fine I am so pleased for you all.NOW REST ALITTLE ,DEEx

jola57
09-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Happy memories of a wonderful day. Thank you for sharing with us. You look super, not a trace of pred or illness, and the happines shines in you and your daughter, the gorgeous Bride.

pberggren1
09-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Awesome pics Geoff. But you lost me with the brollies?

delorisdoe
09-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Her dress is gorgeous and so is your country.

BrianR
09-06-2011, 02:48 PM
At this exact moment I am in Maui with Marta and Hana and (...pause...pause...pause...ahhhh!) lifting a glass to you, your daughter, her new husband and your family. Very best wishes from us all and congratulations Geoff! Marta says she has been thinking of you and expect a message from her (of course).

Cheeeeers! (here I go again, tilting my glass).

Geoff
09-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Thank you all for your loving comments. I am witness to the Wegs statement "You look well...someone told me you were ill?" I have been on pred continously for 3 years since DX (the lowest doseage I have reached is 5mg) I have gained 42lbs of weight but being 6ft 4ins I tend to "carry it off" reasonably well. Everytime I taper I "crash", highlighting the defficiencies of my maintenance drugs. I am very hopefull that this new drug infussion (about 10 weeks ago) has put me on a better path and a chance of coming off pred alltogether! Now decided to hang onto the brollies as the heavens have opened and heavy rain is upon us. The weather is never dull here in the UK!!

Fran
09-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Geoff, Thanks for putting the photos up - they are lovely ! You can see the happiness in every picture. Good health and best wishes to them both. It's a bleak cold, windy and wet day here but starting the day looking at your post has given me a warm glow - thanks for that! http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.png (javascript://)

Hope you get off that pred very soon.

Fran:thumbsup:

Geoff
09-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi Fran,
We were in your part of the county last week as we had booked 3 nights away near Cromer. Donkey rides on the beach and a very bracing walk on the pier!!
Onto Blakeney Quay, Wells-Next-The Sea and then Gt Walsingham, all in all a beautiful part of England.

Psyborg
09-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Congratulations!

Fran
09-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Hi Geoff, Glad you liked your break in Norfolk - we moved here about 18 years ago from the midlands. Wouldn't like your chances on the pier today - extremely windy and wild here ( we are abt 15 minutes drive from Cromer). I have never been to Essex but have seen some beautiful places there on the tv, and the village where your daughter was married looks lovely, very old and quaint.

Hope that poor little donkey has recovered lol !!:unsure::wink1:

Best wishes, Fran

Sangye
09-07-2011, 02:22 AM
Thank you all for your loving comments. I am witness to the Wegs statement "You look well...someone told me you were ill?" I have been on pred continously for 3 years since DX (the lowest doseage I have reached is 5mg) I have gained 42lbs of weight but being 6ft 4ins I tend to "carry it off" reasonably well. Everytime I taper I "crash", highlighting the defficiencies of my maintenance drugs. I am very hopefull that this new drug infussion (about 10 weeks ago) has put me on a better path and a chance of coming off pred alltogether!
What I meant was that you don't have the usual pred look-- double chin, rounded shoulders, round torso, etc... It's not just a weight-gain issue. Pred actually changes one's shape and creates a Cushing's (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cushings-syndrome/DS00470) appearance. I'm glad it didn't happen to you! It's miserable. Even if I'd gained this much weight before I wouldn't have looked like this.

freakyschizogirl
09-09-2011, 05:28 AM
The pictures are gorgeous Geoff, i know how proud you were to walk her down the aisle and the love is beaming from everyone. So glad the weather stayed nice for you all, nothing like blighty weather!!

2 Brollies for a tenner you say?? lol.

I hope they chose somewhere warmer for their honeymoon!!

marta
09-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Geoff, the pics look awesome and you, Linda, and the 'kids' look amazing, happy, glowing and full of joy. I'm thrilled for you and the fam. I know how much planning went into this day, and now it's done and a new life begins. So, you coming to Jasper? We'll be home after the 15th and would love to have you guys. Brian just read me the message you sent him - are you on Facebook, I have tons of them there, otherwise I'll post a few on here in a 'useless thread' I'll start. Big hugs to you from sunny Maui.

pberggren1
09-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Geoff, the pics look awesome and you, Linda, and the 'kids' look amazing, happy, glowing and full of joy. I'm thrilled for you and the fam. I know how much planning went into this day, and now it's done and a new life begins. So, you coming to Jasper? We'll be home after the 15th and would love to have you guys. Brian just read me the message you sent him - are you on Facebook, I have tons of them there, otherwise I'll post a few on here in a 'useless thread' I'll start. Big hugs to you from sunny Maui.

Will you guys be around after the 23rd or so?

marta
09-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Yup we will. We have a couple of bookings and I can't remember which dates as I don't have the calendar with us but we will be around.

pberggren1
09-09-2011, 10:50 AM
I will see if I have some extra money coming. If I do, then I will have mom or dad call you after the 15th to see what you have booked.

vdub
09-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Well, I'll be darned... Congratulations.....

"Father of the Bride" speech; any suggestions?!
I have the same problem. Daughter got engaged about 3 weeks ago. Wedding is the end of December.... :-)

marta
09-09-2011, 03:00 PM

I have the same problem. Daughter got engaged about 3 weeks ago. Wedding is the end of December.... :-)

wooo hooo vdub... congrats. we wont be going throught this for at least another 20 years.... hopefully!

pberggren1
09-09-2011, 04:18 PM
wooo hooo vdub... congrats. we wont be going throught this for at least another 20 years.... hopefully!

Another 20 years? Isn't Hana 4 now? So in all actuality it could be as little as 14 years.

Geoff
09-10-2011, 06:33 AM

Wow vdub, best you get pen to paper! and sharpish. At the end of the day it was easy writing about my daughter, the hard part was leaving stuff out!!

I hope you and your family have a day to remember and full of love.