PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Family Members w/ Weg's

TOBEY32
08-21-2011, 03:07 AM
Something I wanted to put out there.
I know it's not known how Weg's is contracted, but I'm curious if this might be your story. There might not be one response and that would be good. I have no idea what the chances of this are.

David

pberggren1
08-21-2011, 10:16 AM
I know that Richard on here has 2 family members with Wegs: his dad and grandfather.

I also saw a couple of times on Facebook that some people had parents with Wegs as well.

pwc51
08-22-2011, 04:57 AM
I recently found out that my mother had Giant Cell Arteritis (another flavour of vasculitis) before she passed away. I like to think it is coincidence!

elephant
08-22-2011, 10:13 AM
My sisters have autoimmune diseases, two of us have vasculitis.

DEE
08-22-2011, 05:35 PM
I was dxt with wg and my daughter was dxt with crohns six months later.

NicShaf
08-23-2011, 01:50 AM
I've always found this subject very interesting...and a little frightening because I may want to have a child one day. Although my doctors all assure me that I shouldn't worry about passing Wegs onto my child...I more worry about passing on the likelihood of getting an AI disease.

My Dad has Myasthenia Gravis....another AI Disease.

Rini
08-23-2011, 02:33 AM
My family is all AIs. Mostly crohns but interestingly my sister & I who r 8 years different in age were diagnosed with separate AIs within the same year. We both flared 1year 1/2 after moving. WG may not be genetic but i think there is something with all the AI's in my family.

Psyborg
08-23-2011, 03:42 AM
So for those with other family members with the disease...do you live near each other? I mean they speculate if this is genetic or environmental. If you do not live in similar areas I'd think the environmental effects would be less pronounced.

DEE
08-23-2011, 04:08 AM
My daughter and I live four miles apart ,Bob . Hubby has always quizzed the enviroment theray sp .

TOBEY32
08-23-2011, 05:22 AM
Thanks for your responses. Just a question in my head, and some of you knew what I was getting at:

If you were 1st diagnosed did you feel you gave it to the other - or vice-versa?

My family members don't seem to be worried for themselves. I think my docs convinced them it's not like giving someone a cold. Guess we should have our babies (NicShaf) and live our lives to the best.

David

Sangye
08-23-2011, 11:20 AM
David, you CANNOT get Wegs from another person. Inheriting a gene for it is entirely different, and even that is just a theory with paltry evidence to support it.

mishb
08-23-2011, 09:53 PM
No AI's in my family (and there 11 siblings altogether) apart from me and I managed to get a nice little package of them. Maybe I got everyone's worth.

As for it being environmental, Myself, my eldest daughter and my husband all work together as well as lived together (up until a year ago when my daughter moved into her friends house) and they both are fine, as well as my youngest daughter. Same food, same water, same home and working environment.

No clues here, I'm afraid.

Trudy
08-24-2011, 12:33 PM
A thought to ponder….I was diagnosed with Lupus (SLE) in 1998. I have been positive in Anti-Sm antibodies which are strongly selective for Lupus plus Anti-Ro antibodies which usually indicate Sjogen’s syndrome. The Anti-Ro is known to be able to cross the placenta. I have nine adult children. Two of which have my same blood type (A neg). Of these two one has been battling Lupus for 4 years and the other has many of the symptoms but has never been tested. My other kids are fine. The past two years I have also been battling vasculitis. I am positive in both ANCA-MPO and ANCA-PR3; have a lung nodule; sinus, mastoid, and brain stem inflammation; eye pressure etc. So…….could the susceptibility to autoimmune disease in some cases just be passed through the placenta rather than a specific inherited gene?
The Lupus forum I visit has lots of members with more than one autoimmune disease and a number with Lupus and some type of vasculitis. Many have siblings or parents with autoimmune disorders too.

Rini
08-24-2011, 02:35 PM
A thought to ponder….I was diagnosed with Lupus (SLE) in 1998. I have been positive in Anti-Sm antibodies which are strongly selective for Lupus plus Anti-Ro antibodies which usually indicate Sjogen’s syndrome. The Anti-Ro is known to be able to cross the placenta. I have nine adult children. Two of which have my same blood type (A neg). Of these two one has been battling Lupus for 4 years and the other has many of the symptoms but has never been tested. My other kids are fine. The past two years I have also been battling vasculitis. I am positive in both ANCA-MPO and ANCA-PR3; have a lung nodule; sinus, mastoid, and brain stem inflammation; eye pressure etc. So…….could the susceptibility to autoimmune disease in some cases just be passed through the placenta rather than a specific inherited gene?
The Lupus forum I visit has lots of members with more than one autoimmune disease and a number with Lupus and some type of vasculitis. Many have siblings or parents with autoimmune disorders too.

the blood type thing is very interesting

Rini
08-24-2011, 02:37 PM
what would happen to someone if they got my blood now? I can't imagine it would b good.

Sangye
08-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Trudy, that's very interesting about the Anti-Ro antibodies being able to cross the placenta. I'd loved to hear what the researchers have to say about all that.

Rini, you should not donate blood. Not that anyone is going to "catch" Wegs, it's just not a good idea to share all the drugs you've had.

delorisdoe
08-25-2011, 02:23 AM
rini,,,in canada if you are on these meds and donate blood you get a letter in the mail that says "thank you for your support of the red cross but at this time we are unable to use your blood due to the following ..." lol. it is a very polite letter

Sangye
08-25-2011, 03:10 AM
They don't eliminate you as a donor before you donate? If that's the case, considering all the wasted supplies and volunteer effort, it's better not to do it in the first place.

delorisdoe
08-25-2011, 03:35 AM
Actually I have not given blood myself but yes they do ask a series of questions regarding tretments you may be on. My uncle receives this letter every few years or so when his iron is low.

RCOSSIO
08-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Yes...it was my Uncle and possibly my grandfather (his father) as well back in the 60's. My first cousin (same lineage) also has an AI disorder. Its the family tree...yet we still haven't figured out how to win the Powerball Lotto.

GO FIGURE :predrage:

Rini
08-25-2011, 02:20 PM
I find w/ the drugs bugs wont bite me, like i chugged b12 or something...."don't she is poison"

Kami
08-27-2011, 05:55 AM
My mom has Bells Palsy, Pernicious anemia, Hashimotos, and some other strange thing where the skin on her hands turns into giant water blisters and peels but that hasn't been diagnosed as anything as of yet but I am betting it is another AI thing. My sister has Vitilog, Pernicious anemia, and aHashismotos. I haven't lived near my mom or my sister since 1982, except for the year of 1989 my sister and I shared an appartment, otherwise always 75 miles apart at least. My father unfortunately passed ago several years ago but it would have been interesting to see if he had anything. I don't think you can give it to anyone and I sure hope it isn't hereditary for my daughters sake. They do say pernicious anemia is hereditary but that can be treated pretty easily.