PDA

View Full Version : General impression of this web site.

drz
08-17-2011, 06:23 AM
I notice I have been using this web site for over 13 months. I think it is one of the best sources of support and information on GPA you can find on the internet. Generally it is very user friendly. I like the options of being able to easily check the latest posts and to go automatically to last one that is unread.

It amazes me that I have not seen any spam ads posted here, flame wars, or troublesome trolls that often try to upset and disrupt things on other types of forums. Maybe it is due to extreme diligence of the administrator and skill in sorting out legitimate posters from the trouble makers. The guidelines to avoid posts on religion and politics probably also help in maintaining a helpful courteous tone, but I think generally the members here do a great job in self monitoring and showing respect toward each other.

There are some things that still do puzzle me about this site. Like is it possible to edit or delete visitor messages under your profile when they seem outdated. I wonder if all the new users know about how to check their private messages and use them. I know I posted some visitor messages when I intended to send a private message. I like having the private message option but wonder how some people opt out of having it and why?

Uploading pictures some times seem difficult to do for me and I don't know why. It usually takes me several tries to get them to show up where intended. Sometimes the same is true for links. I haven't found any way to upload power point picture presentations and am assuming that is not an option. I see options for inserting videos but don't recall seeing one any where.

I am sure there are still other things for me to learn about this site, but I am glad i found it and enjoy using it often. Thanks to every one who make it possible by hosting it, administering every thing, and all who post and share their thoughts here.

Chris G
08-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks for starting this thread drz. I also want to thank the administrator(s). It can't be an easy job keeping the site running smoothly.

And, although I wish we never had to meet.........thanks to my WEGGIE friends here!

pberggren1
08-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Yes drz, I agree. I know I have tried to send a private message to some folks on here and it wont let me.

aewaustin
08-17-2011, 11:25 AM
I also want to thank the administrators of this site, not really sure who you are, but thanks for creating a resource for helping out so many throughout the world. A site like this does not just stay up by magic, so really thankful to those that volunteer their time. Thanks :)

elephant
08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Yes, this is a great site and so glad we have each other to talk to even though we live in differnt parts of the world.

Sangye
08-17-2011, 12:18 PM
I love our group and I love Andrew, the website administrator for creating it.

pberggren1
08-17-2011, 12:21 PM
As they say in Spanish: Igualmente.

RCOSSIO
08-18-2011, 06:59 AM
DRZ..this is the best website...plus we are lucky enough to have SANGYE, she has been a Godsend, maybe it was the Dalai Lama spirit that brought her here. Anyway love her for that. I also saw you used GPA...trying the new name huh???

I am old school, I like the "Aleman" name.

Phil...que vola acere, trying Spanish. Didn't know the Canucks knew Espanol.

pberggren1
08-18-2011, 08:18 AM
DRZ..this is the best website...plus we are lucky enough to have SANGYE, she has been a Godsend, maybe it was the Dalai Lama spirit that brought her here. Anyway love her for that. I also saw you used GPA...trying the new name huh???

Phil...que vola acere, trying Spanish. Didn't know the Canucks knew Espanol.

I took a very basic Spanish class a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I have not been able to use it in conversation because of being so sick and no hearing. I am not sure what you are saying Richard. Is it something to do with steel?

RCOSSIO
08-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Phil,

Aleman is Spanish for German...hence Dr. Wegneners

and "que vola acere is Cuban hood language for Wuz up with you bro!!!!

Anyway...thoughts for sharing:w00t::w00t:

pberggren1
08-18-2011, 11:41 AM
You will have to teach me more of this Cuban hood language Richard.

NicShaf
08-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Very true! The administrators of this site are AWESOME! I don't know what I'd do without this site...I probably would have had bad treatment, and gone crazy with all the questions that pop in my head daily.
Thank you for putting this site together Andrew.

pberggren1
08-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Was it not Gwen that originally put this site together? And then Andrew took it over?

Sangye
08-20-2011, 12:42 AM

When did I use the GPA name? No way, I can't stand that thing. Prefiero el nombre Aleman tambien.

Giggling about the Dalai Lama comment. ROTFL Hugs to you Richard for bringing so much joy and laughter to this group. :laugh:

jola57
08-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Once a wggie always a weggie

RCOSSIO
08-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Gracias Sangye :wink1:

chrisTIn@
12-19-2011, 06:08 AM
There are some things that still do puzzle me about this site. Like is it possible to edit or delete visitor messages under your profile when they seem outdated. I wonder if all the new users know about how to check their private messages and use them. I know I posted some visitor messages when I intended to send a private message. I like having the private message option but wonder how some people opt out of having it and why?

Uploading pictures some times seem difficult to do for me and I don't know why. It usually takes me several tries to get them to show up where intended. Sometimes the same is true for links. I haven't found any way to upload power point picture presentations and am assuming that is not an option. I see options for inserting videos but don't recall seeing one any where.

Uploading pictures is difficult for me too.

Another thing I would like to know...
it seems strange that at the end of the front page the number of visitors is mentioned,
but 'most visitors ever' is always the same amount of 169, only on different dates.

HOW is THAT possible? :rolleyes1:

pberggren1
12-19-2011, 08:44 AM

it seems strange that at the end of the front page the number of visitors is mentioned,
but 'most visitors ever' is always the same amount of 169, only on different dates.

Probably just a fluke.

Al
12-19-2011, 09:19 AM

About the different dates, most likely Phil is correct, though it is conceivable (barely) that the record number of visitors was reached on several different days.

As for the pictures, the trick is, to get to the Manage Attachments page, you have to be in certain areas, like "Go Advanced". Scroll down to Manage Attachments. JPEG images make the most reliable attachments. In theory, PDF files also work, though I have never tried them myself. I know this is cumbersome, but it does work. Links can be entered directly while you are posting" copy the address line from your browser and paste it into your message.

Al

KathyB
12-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks to our administrator(s) and all of you! I'm still learning so much about WG plus how to use the site. One day I may even post a picture. I've been looking at how to use the site, update profile, etc. Any simple instructions are greatly appreciated!

Al
12-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks to our administrator(s) and all of you! I'm still learning so much about WG plus how to use the site. One day I may even post a picture. I've been looking at how to use the site, update profile, etc. Any simple instructions are greatly appreciated!

Updating your profile is pretty easy, Kathy. Just go to "Settings", then in the left column, click on "Edit Profile", and you're there! If you go through the FAQ page, you can get a good idea on how the forum is set up, although not all the features mentioned are implemented in our particular forum.

Al

vdub
12-19-2011, 04:29 PM
When did I use the GPA name?
I also recently snagged this siter http://www.wegeners-gpa.com